Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Thursday / Friday Storm Discussion

Posted

You know that bit just before a storm when it all goes quiet, the wind start getting up and you strain through the background noise to hear the rumble of far distant thunder?

and you find it's just a kid in a Subaru Imprezza with a noisy exhaust 3 miles away!!!!! :)

Posted

Evening all. :)

Looking at the webcams the Le Havre storm has a pretty well separated updraft/downdraft and a lot of scud under the updraft base, perhaps its becoming svere/supercelluar.

Edited by jshaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Steady rain here for last couple of hours but no "torrential" rain to speak of so far and it doesnt look that bad on radar. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'
No thudner here per iow lighting . but the sky is a very dirty mud colour

Very heavy rain here. The sky is leaden grey. By rights, according to the radar we should be seeing lightning. But have not seen or heard anything ?? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like the rain is already about to go with just light and patchy stuff after. OVERHYPE ALERT! We have had some heavy rain but looking at the radar our fun is already nearly over.

Posted
You know that bit just before a storm when it all goes quiet, the wind start getting up and you strain through the background noise to hear the rumble of far distant thunder?

and you find it's just a kid in a Subaru Imprezza with a noisy exhaust 3 miles away!!!!! :)

Or in my case somebody putting their recycleable bin out lol :) .

Posted

watched the local weather earlier and he said he had just spoken to a senior forecaster at met office and they think gloucestershire could see upwards of 75mm! somehow i cant see that

Posted

The Storm to the West of Le Havre is DEFINATELY A Supercell!

An amazing Split and Right Move from this Storm over the last 30 Minutes, watch it on the radar, as perfect a Supercell on Radar as you will see. Left Split heading towards the UK. Right Split turning hard right

Paul S

Posted

Slightly OT but do we have some kind of disturbance/inflow band and weak wall cloud on the Le Havre storm on webcam?

Another beautiful storm off to the left of that one.

post-3545-1247770505.jpeg

Edit, nah its not supercellular, but it seems to be turning into a long roll cloud now pushing out with the heavy rain core behind it.

Yeah proper roll cloud as cool air pushes out from the rain core and lifts warm air ahead of it. :D

Over here the high mid level cloud is thickening fast.

Edited by jshaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
watched the local weather earlier and he said he had just spoken to a senior forecaster at met office and they think gloucestershire could see upwards of 75mm! somehow i cant see that

Lol, where from exactly?

The meto BBC really have been poor with weather alerts around here. I dont know if it is some over reaction to the flooding from 2 years ago or just generally slack. I would be surprised if more than 6 or 7 mm has fallen today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its gone very much stormless for the West lately. The East gets it again. :D

Posted

Am on the wireless as a nice little storm is passing overhead in south Edinburgh. Went out to a park to get a view after the first few rumbles and it died off the whole time I was out - back to the flat and a couple of rumbles and a flash straight away of course :D I don't think I'll complain of near misses for a bit - this was the only rarar echo for miles and it's come straight at me!

No idea how the next day or so will pan out for Edinburgh, looks like potentially a lot of rain here later tomorrow, and could be grim with the wind off the sea. Today's been very nice though and the storm's a surprise!

- sss

Posted

Paul,

would love to see another Supercell :D

we have 11mm here in Hatherley so far,and its far from over...

more cells in the channel seem to be trying to grow far South of Devon so perhaps they just might swing up here for later

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Atd showing 478 CG strikes between 1935 and 1940, mainly from storms over Nern France spilling N over channel, some strong storms out there.

Going to pop out soon and get a vantage point to watch this stuff roll in later if it makes it here, storms making landfall over Hants, so fingers crossed further east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

evening all,

so where is the heavy rain :D we have rain not heavy not thundery, looking at the meto wwarnings i thought this was going to be bad, OVER HYPE!!

Posted
Cells developing quite nicely still in the channel and destablisation happening over France, though anything developing over France now will likely either just catch Kent or move off into the low countries.

Decent looking cell heading NE into IoW right now as well, pretty sharp looking radar returns though whether or not its that severe is another question, depends on how high based they are.

V.distant rumbles. Extremely high based. One of those not worth having storms :D

Posted

Yep Paul thats utterly amazing to watch, love it when they split like that!

Anyway cells have exploded over the channel as the models were expecting and are firing up very nicely. Hoping to see a good show here as it should be getting dark, so even when they no doubt miss me and I head into the dry slot (always happens in these French imports its uncanny! :D ) should still be a very good show.

Looks like this is the start of the main event...the whole region of storms are now pivoting as well.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Wow, that was amazing.. constant thunder and lightning, for over half an hour.. rain so heavy it lifted the storm drain covers in the road...

Bring on some more...

Posted
Its gone very much stormless for the West lately. The East gets it again. :D

The east have had nothing this week yet but the west have. :D

evening all,

so where is the heavy rain :D we have rain not heavy not thundery, looking at the meto wwarnings i thought this was going to be bad, OVER HYPE!!

Over hype no chance the night is very young,all day tomorrow yet which is the big event originally for cold wet and windy.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack0.gif :)