Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convection Discussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

this narrow band of rain, heavy for a time, looks to be approaching us. yes, SW, was a violent thunderstorm, moderate hail, lightning and thunder, 6mm in 20 minutes for here.

I reckon we had a bit more than that where i was-localised but it was awful for 10 minutes. Non stop very heavy torrential downpour and hail.

Posted

SUFC showers approaching you from the WSW, can you see it yet:D?

It's clouding up mate, but it doesn't look very dark yet. Did you get a heavy downpour earlier?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

!!! Looking at the storm we had earlier the radar suggests where i was hit about 200-250mm/hr for a very short time! Dont doubt that at all after how bad it was for a bit!!!

Posted

It's clouding up mate, but it doesn't look very dark yet. Did you get a heavy downpour earlier?

Heavy downpour and thats it, never guess what happened, it all ran N of me by about 10 miles, and then it some how formed east of me leaving me in a dry window!! DOH

I reckon we will see something tonight, tomorrow looks good too.

Posted

im sure it was the same storm sw, i said the max intensity was well over 100m/hr, maybe we had 10mm or more? im not sure, definitely the most intense downpour i have ever seen. 6mm was alvechurch weather.

Posted

Tomorrow evening I'm unsure about, I think the main threat will be from heavy rainfall from the Occluded front. GFS has been chopping and changing the postioning of the LP system on every run. Can't rule out any convective activity with these setups - center of the Low looks to be situated around Lancashire. Lapse rate is poor but may not make a difference, bit of SB CAPE but even this is poor and may not come into the equation.

As for the storms today, I could hear them rumbling away in the distance, sounded fairly active. :drunk:

Oh boy it was active alright!

Lapse rate on the current run hits 27 tomorrow evening. Pretty good i think! Only about 1 or 2 down on today! Cape i agree is poor but in tomorrows situation i personally dont think it will be as important as situations like today. :D

Still it could happen tomorrow or not-LL Shear fairly impressive i think.

Posted

im sure it was the same storm sw, i said the max intensity was well over 100m/hr, maybe we had 10mm or more? im not sure, definitely the most intense downpour i have ever seen. 6mm was alvechurch weather.

Ah right well looking at the radar we would of Both shared the same storm.I wasnt far from home myself. We definately saw alot in such a short amount of time!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Heavy downpour and thats it, never guess what happened, it all ran N of me by about 10 miles, and then it some how formed east of me leaving me in a dry window!! DOH

I reckon we will see something tonight, tomorrow looks good too.

It's just started raining again, but nothing heavy yet and no thunder.

It's very dark now mate.

Edited by sufc

Posted

No storm for mecray.gif One day,maybe one day.sad.gif

Only light rain here now.

heavy rain here Jane but without any thunder

edit..Paul S I finally saw a few bolts of lightning in the Uk :D

with pea size hail..not golf ball's

Edited by dogs32

Posted

A bit of a late reply but had a few Forks of Lightning and rumbles earlier this afternoon as the first batch of showers made their way across the Central Pennines towards Sheffield. One shower seemed to Backbuild as it approached the southern Kinder Scout area but quickly moved off in the wind. All calm now outside as the sun sets, nothing eventful to report from this afternoons showers other than the Lightning and light-moderate rain.

Posted

did Jane get her storm today? Yet again the west Kent storm drought continues! ;)

No storm for me. One day, maybe one day

Your Prince will come!? :rofl:

I thought you had a chance today JL, but other than your misfortune (again) it panned out pretty much as the forecasts and charts suggested. I caught up with an interesting Discovery programme 'Seconds from disaster' on Dr Fujita and the 1974 Tornado's :lol:

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

So did I Coast.I knew I should of never got my hopes up.Can't understand why they always miss here. :lol:

Sorry for everyone else to who didn't get a storm.

One day my storm will come lol. :rofl:

Jane, ever thought of going to the storms rather than waiting for one to come to you.

Hi jamo,

Have tried chasing,but we always end up in the wrong direction lol (sob)

Posted

Had a lovely storm here today around 2 ish, was 8 strikes per min for a short while. Only dropped 2mm of rain though.

Another one for the signature

It's been a fantastic year here for storms for a change.

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted

Heavy rain and thunder/lightning here, black! AND ITS BACK BUILDING

Passed over here earlier Lewis. Dropped one or two bombs.. Not sure what it hit yet but it was close..