Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rain / Winds / Storms - Friday Into Saturday

Paul

Posted

METO raainfall radar showing a lot of interesting weather now around Dorset/Wiltshire, should probably have reached Hampshire by now and me next please.

Posted

lovely and sunny here at the moment and the winds have died down a bit with the odd gust, looking very very dark to my north, so I think the Isle of Sheppey and south Essex may be in for a downpour.

Posted

Still raining down here, but the winds (sustained wind speed) is now noticeably easing off very slowly, although the gusts are still powerful but becoming few and far between now. Managed to record some impressive gusts/horizontal rain during the last and most potent squall line to pass here. Will try and post later.

Posted

Finally sorted the weather station out :unsure: i pinched a bit of 2x2 timber off me neighbours fence and stuck it at the bottom of my garden with the station mounted on top of the 2x2 poll, works a treat now and already had a gust of 13mph with an average sustained wind speed of 11mph :yahoo: yay

Edited by Lewis

Posted

C London and the weather is appalling, god knows how the crowds are going to keep happy at the Lord Mayors Show, Horizontal Rain and strong winds, things looking too messy now to pick out details and the IOW (Possible Low Topped Supercell) which was out in front has been absorbed into the Line and is currently hitting London and Surrey!

Messy Indeed Now

Paul S

Posted

CAMBERMET recorded a gust of 60 knots/69mph at 11:30 am. That is at Chichester Harbour approximately a mile inland from CHIMET and can be found by clicking Cambernet on the CHIMET website..

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)

my stupid weather station saying wind speed of 6mph and gust of 23mph, but is not recording all the load gusts I can here getting annoyed with it now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

CAMBERMET recorded a gust of 60 knots/69mph at 11:30 am. That is at Chichester Harbour approximately a mile inland from CHIMET and can be found by clicking Cambernet on the CHIMET website..

Coldfingers...

wow if that is cambernet then that is something,,,it is as you say quite inland and normally the harbour sheltered....wow..

Posted

C London and the weather is appalling, god knows how the crowds are going to keep happy at the Lord Mayors Show, Horizontal Rain and strong winds, things looking too messy now to pick out details and the IOW (Possible Low Topped Supercell) which was out in front has been absorbed into the Line and is currently hitting London and Surrey!

Messy Indeed Now

Paul S

Stoped now paul although this may not be the actuall cell you was talking about maybe the proceding area?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Interesting squall line developing from Hampshire SSWwards across Channel with some lightning in it, could generate some big gusts as moves inland across S-central/SE England:

post-1052-12582010145343_thumb.png

Still waiting here for some storms, seem to be by-passing to NW of here ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just went out for a fag - absolutely awesome. Strong gusts, dark skies to W and SW, bright to North and East. Winds really picking up - Estofex Level 2, NW Moderate risk - thunder and lightning this morning, thunder, hail and gales to the W and S - this is awesome!! And, it's warm out....brilliant!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The front seems to have split into two, the most active portion south of Birmingham and another less active section over north Wales and into north west England.

The middle section has degenerated into a few light-moderate showers and guess where I am?

Light showers here at present, the wind has increased in the past hour but not to anything worth commenting on.

Posted

Oh my god we just had crazy weather, was at bowls and we just had a cracking little thunderstorm right over head, the rain was torrential then the hail came which was very very heavy, evryone looked out side and huge lightning strike right above us with an instant explosion of thunder and there wa smore very loud thunder and lightning. The winds winds have also crazy must of been close to 80mph.

we are now currenty under very heavy torrentia downpour with hail.

I love this weather

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Although the ppn area is quite expansive over the central portion of southern england and towards the west London area, the band in the channel seems to be steadily narrowing towards its trailing point as it passes from west to east if the radar sequence is run through the morning to the latest update

I wonder if that is the effect of the 'sting jet' that has been mentioned through the channel slowly weakening as it moves from west to east?

Btw, what exactly is a sting jet!?biggrin.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Black/dark blue sky has just come racing in - very sudden very strong gusts of wind. Interestingly, the clouds and wind appear to be coming in from the S and SE, while the radar has it all moving ENE. Some VERY strong wind shear!!!

Posted

Gatwick reporting thunderstorm at 1220z, wouldn't like to land a plane in these conditions, can here them roaring over quite low here this morning.

LONDON/GATWICK EGKK 141220Z 23016KT 180V260 5000 -TSRA FEW007 SCT014CB BKN025 11/09 Q0991

This one for Paul Sherman, tornado suspected in Benfleet Essex earlier:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8360298.stm

Posted

Yep

That is exactly where I saw the Funnel Cloud at 915am this morning

I must have viewed it as it lifted to the North of Benfleet and I said to myself if this thing touches or has touched down there could be considerable Damage!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Seems to be clearing from here, although just recorded a gust at 54mph. Since this time yesterday there has been just short of 80mm of rain here to. Looking brighter now with some drizzle. Lovely. :)

Posted

Just had a couple of scuds - interestingly as they moved over the house, the wind switched direction and blew rain straight into my face, lol.

Very dark though still bright to the East

Hi all,

I couldn't come on this morning because the power was off here they were doing work on it.

In the English channel you can see on the AIS radar lots of boats are sheltering http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=PortlandWight Still though many boats are still going in about 66mph winds!!

On xcweather shows 70mph gusts at Mumbles Head Southern Wales. South Western Parts reporting 22ft wave height.

Current NW radar,

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Btw, what exactly is a sting jet!?biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sting_jet

It is thought that a zone of strong winds, originating from within the mid-tropospheric cloud head of an explosively deepening depression, are enhanced further as the "jet" descends, drying out and evaporating a clear path through snow and ice particles. The evaporative cooling leading to the air within the jet becoming denser, leading to an acceleration of the downward flow towards the tip of the cloud head when it begins to hook around the cyclone centre. Windspeeds in excess of 80 kn (150 km/h) can be associated with the Sting jet.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sting_jet#cite_note-1]