Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rain / Winds / Storms - Friday Into Saturday

Paul

Posted

I'm confused as it was much windier at about 2am last night than it is now

Same here, and im a little surprised how calm it is this morning in my area.

Posted

a massive Horizontal Funnel Cloud

The Sherman storm magnet working overtime this morning again I see!

Netweather storm update just released here: www.netweather.tv

and a reminder to include your storm reports in here please:

netweather.tv/storm-reports-november-2009

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well done Mr Sherman on bagging a funnel, you were certainly in the right area at the time to catch some rotating storms that were in the area.

That cell I was talking about over IoW still holding together as it moves NE across Portsmoth area and seems to have supercell characteristics, possible tornado producer this one IMO:

post-1052-1258197319429_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Haha - sorry, should make it clear that I've come home for the weekend, so I'm in East Dorset at the moment! But the drive down from Nottingham yesterday had some insane driving conditions in places. I would have been playing football today at Grove Farm (the UoN Sports Place by the River Trent) but apparently the fields are waterlogged, so it got cancelled!

oh right!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Yes- you're totally right about the insane rain at about 6--8pm last night. Thats WAS mental!! lol!!!! deffo will explain why I was all cc_confused.gif when you going on about the wind! lol!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Interesting blob over IoW with strong radar return and producing sferics on Atd ... supercell?

post-1052-1258196534652_thumb.png

Could be couldn't it! It certainly developed out on it's own and remained isolated. Would be interested to hear of reports from there!

And Paul S, all I can say is.

SPAWNY GIT! :)

Certainly an active day! More to come I think and I will be heading down the coast and taing a look about lunchtime. Camera ready...

Edited by Azores Hi

Posted

WooHoo. Winds getting higher, latest gust 65mph and sustained winds of 50mph. Fun! Maybe the blob is coming my way. :)

PS. My daughter has just read this and thinks I have lost my marbles. :)

My congrats to all who forecast this so accurately, it was shown to increase the wind at midday.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

That cell I was talking about over IoW still holding together as it moves NE across Portsmouth area and seems to have supercell characteristics, possible tornado producer this one IMO:

:) Off out now to try and intercept some of this.

Another thread to keep an eye on this morning is the Netweather Forecasters blog with some excellent insight by the likes of John Holmes and Nick F into the storm as it develops : netweather.tv/blog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

WooHoo. Winds getting higher, latest gust 65mph and sustained winds of 50mph. Fun! Maybe the blob is coming my way. :yahoo:

PS. My daughter has just read this and thinks I have lost my marbles. :unsure:

My congrats to all who forecast this so accurately, it was shown to increase the wind at midday.

Aye. Beware of The Blob! Or is it The Pink Purple People-Eater? :fool:

Posted

Thanks Nick,

I could not believe what I was seeing tbh, the funnel from the cloud base came down Vertical and then the rest of the funnel cloud snaked away from right to left (N-S) Before the bottom part was then dangling vertical, after it then dissipated the base became so flat and then the biggest rotation under the base started with little needle funnel vortices dancing around before another larger funnel extended down, when the rain wrapped back around i lost the funnel in the rain! Some seriously violent motion in that Storm.

Re the IOW Storm, I agree this could produce a Tornado as it marches North Eastwards.

Paul S

Posted

very dull here, local radio keeps threatening us with 50-60mph gusts, meto site doesn`t even have a warning out for us ( east mids ). So who is kidding who again? meto, or local radio and from where do they get their info ? sorry if on wrong thread mods ! thanks kev

just heard another forecast potential for 60mph gusts and heavy rain !

Edited by doublebarrel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Could be couldn't it! It certainly developed out on it's own, well away from the front and isolated. Would be interested to hear of reports from there!

And Paul S, all I can say is.

SPAWNY GIT! clap.gif

Certainly an active day! More to come I think and I will be heading down the coast and taing a look about lunchtime. Camera ready...

oooh that is an interesting blob. Wonder what iow weather station and website will show. will take a look - cant do two things at once on my puter at the mo. Been tame here although think another sqaull going through. Before 1o it was gorgeous blue skies and lovely, Meant to take the horse out and friends reckon it is fine...that was an hour ago. Will probably go and take the camera...and wrap up watertight..

my internet keeps going in and out..but can anyone access this site? should have some nice little webcams http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/cowes_weather.htm

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted

WooHoo. Winds getting higher, latest gust 65mph and sustained winds of 50mph. Fun! Maybe the blob is coming my way. yahoo.gif

PS. My daughter has just read this and thinks I have lost my marbles. unsure.gif

Lol glad to see things shaping up very nicely for you coldfinger here in surrey winds are also picking up very quickly the actual storm is a good 100 miles away but still heading our way which is also great. And i finally did stand corrected as my post stated at around 5am this morning it will be put back a few hours. Let the storm commencediablo.gif

Posted

Same here, and im a little surprised how calm it is this morning in my area.

neither of you should be it was well enough predicted and the winds will pick up again as the radar echoes show where the occluded frontal/trough is-read the blog which Nick will, I hope, keep updated.

link as given by Coast above is

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/57526-following-the-low-friday-into-saturday/

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

This rain is coming down incredibly hard! Some poor bloke's dropped a charity bag through are letter box and is now sheltering in our porch! It is absolutely teeming it down out there. I'm going into Bournemouth this afternoon, gonna be a bit worried about water on the A338. :unsure:

Posted

winds creeping up to 51mph sustained and 66mph gust. Roof tiles rattling now.

It is sunny though so what will happen when the rain squalls come? Will it get higher?

Aye. Beware of The Blob! Or is it The Pink Purple People-Eater? :yahoo:

Sorry Pete.:unsure: getting a bit carried away.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Thanks Nick,

I could not believe what I was seeing tbh, the funnel from the cloud base came down Vertical and then the rest of the funnel cloud snaked away from right to left (N-S) Before the bottom part was then dangling vertical, after it then dissipated the base became so flat and then the biggest rotation under the base started with little needle funnel vortices dancing around before another larger funnel extended down, when the rain wrapped back around i lost the funnel in the rain! Some seriously violent motion in that Storm.

Re the IOW Storm, I agree this could produce a Tornado as it marches North Eastwards.

Paul S

Its certainly moving NE at a fair clip, should reach the SW London suburbs within the hour if it holds together..The echos arent quite as pronounced on the last radar loop for that area

Posted

winds creeping up to 51mph sustained and 66mph gust. Roof tiles rattling now.

Hi cold fingers I caught up on the bbc news24 weather aswell as all the good stuff here and it looks as though you have a bit more to come..keep those posts coming..but be careful...

it is pegging it with rain here still..i though it was just a wee squall...i best check the radar

Posted

Hi cold fingers I caught up on the bbc news24 weather aswell as all the good stuff here and it looks as though you have a bit more to come..keep those posts coming..but be careful...

it is pegging it with rain here still..i though it was just a wee squall...i best check the radar

Thanks for the good wishes Polar Bear.

Are you in line for the IOW 'blob' :unsure: do you know? It should pass to the west of me but it sounds and looks interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

winds defo picked up here in the last half hour gusting 30mph, that IOW cell is heading in my direction I hope it stays intact!

Posted

Thanks for the good wishes Polar Bear.

Are you in line for the IOW 'blob' rolleyes.gif do you know? It should pass to the west of me but it sounds and looks interesting!

I think I may be too far in land although Ma and Pa in Chichester could be - but they are in Padstow at the mo! Dad called me this morning to say that they were staying another night to be safe because the wind driving back. These sussex coast people know a thing heh. good man.

I am going to have to get to the stables now, as I think later I dont want to be out in this. another sqaull coming through. But I must hear about that blob when I get back! Wonder if bognor sees a tornado ...or selsea....

At the local Mumbles weather station, winds of 55mph sustained and 70mph gusts, but certainly very breezy, but we get a lot of winds down here due to being exposed to SW gales, and it doesn't feel as bad as some events.

Although there has been some local damage caused by the winds.

Some very squally showers have also accompanied the wind.