Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rain / Winds / Storms - Friday Into Saturday

Paul

Posted

was woken up about 1am by the winds and rain. It was absolutely crazy outside, could barely see across the other side of the road. Maximum winds here last were only about 50mph (that I recorded anyway) but there was a max. rain rate of 112mm/hr.

Posted

Some of the higher wind readings are now coming out, following along the line of the Trough Axis from South-West Wales to Lands End. Mainly in the region of up to 62mph however outside of these readings the stronger gust is also likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

2 picures from Heybrook Bay by the entrance to Plymouth Sound taken from the top of my drive a couple of mins ago.

Luckily, its low tide at the moment!

post-1962-1258185106428_thumb.jpg

post-1962-1258185190577_thumb.jpg

Posted

ok folks its looking good now ;) st marys south west of lands end sustained speeds of 48mph gusting 69mph . Potential is here for 96mph :) this will travel east along the south coast at approx 70mph . ok 0800 major gusts will be occuring in cornwall 0900 devon somerset 1000 dorset hampshire 1100 sussex surrey 1100 onwards it will travel further east at a distance of 70mph ( Not Wind Speeds ) >>>>>> including london . forecasted windspeeds of 85 mph very likely based on possible 96mph exposed coasts .

Edited by PeterDoswell

Posted

Cold fingers it might take awhile to get to you but tbh I am not very good at judging speeds, your estimate of 09-12 looks right to me.

For us Southern Pansies down here, this is a storm to get excited about ! :)

:) Thanks Iceberg. I am just a tad disappointed really. I thought on the coast here I would have more fun but I slept with the window open and didn't even get woken until 6:30am by a squall. ;)

Mind you you are a lot further west than me and Cornwall looks to be under that squall line now. Have fun anyway. I am going back to bed for a couple of hours. The older I get the more beauty sleep I need.:)

Posted

The north, particularly NW Scotland can have their own storm on Wednesday( I don't think we will be lacking them over the next few weeks ! ;)

I think this storm is interesting for the following reasons.

1) High winds (Winds inexcess of 80mph have been recorded).

2) Rainfall and rainfall rate, flooding has been a major problem.

3) Storm and tornado potential threat.

4) Length of high winds : The pictures below show that winds over 50mph have pretty much been recorder by some places in the south, southwest and Wales for over 12-15 hrs so far with another 3-6 hrs to go. Normally we get a front with high winds that is done and dusted over a 3 hr period I tried to save the graphs but they failed but Portland, Plymouth and Pembrey Sands to name but 3.

Posted

The north, particularly NW Scotland can have their own storm on Wednesday( I don't think we will be lacking them over the next few weeks ! ;)

4) Length of high winds : The pictures below show that winds over 50mph have pretty much been recorder by some places in the south, southwest and Wales for over 12-15 hrs so far with another 3-6 hrs to go. Normally we get a front with high winds that is done and dusted over a 3 hr period I tried to save the graphs but they failed but Portland, Plymouth and Pembrey Sands to name but 3.

Yes - and as Torro have already intimated, winds this high combined with the convective potential is rare in the SE.

An update from Estofex:

post-5986-12581863260801_thumb.png

Didn't really feel the effects of the squall line last night on top of Bluebell Hill, even though the charts seemed to show armageddon.

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted

ok folks its looking good now tease.gif st marys south west of lands end sustained speeds of 48mph gusting 69mph . Potential is here for 96mph smile.gif this will travel east along the south coast at approx 70mph . ok 0800 major gusts will be occuring in cornwall 0900 devon somerset 1000 dorset hampshire 1100 sussex surrey 1100 onwards it will travel further east at a distance of 70mph ( Not Wind Speeds ) >>>>>> including london . forecasted windspeeds of 85 mph very likely based on possible 96mph exposed coasts .

Lol peter thought you said a hour ago that you feel downgrades. Good to see you happy again mate stay safe i expect my area surrey to get batterd the very very heavy rain overnight and this morning has left everything very soggy these 50+ year old trees are going to get thrown about and spat out like matchsticks.

Posted

Yes - as Torro have already intimated, winds this high combined with the other potential is rare in the SE.

An update from Estofex:

post-5986-12581863260801_thumb.png

Interesting 12z Skew-T for London, particularly TT and K indices, and the hodograph.

post-5986-12581865554969_thumb.png

(Didn't really feel the squall-line last night on top of Bluebell Hill)

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted

Sustained winds inexcess of 50mph are now being recorded as the high winds start to be felt in the far SW. Gusts of upto 80mph have also been recorded at seven stones, 70mph at Lands end, and gusts of 70mph in the channel as it slowly moves in.

um I wonder whether Estofax are talking it up a little too much. TBH I was alittle disappointed with the overnight severe storm happenings (although the winds and rain were exactly as forecast). Maybe this morning will make things up a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all from S.E.London,

Was just waking up about a half an hour ago when we had a rumble of thunder followed a minute later by perhaps the closest flash of lightning I've experienced this year, the thunder was virtually instantaneous. Wild weather indeed!

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Very Very heavy rain and strong winds here in surrey atm one minuite it was clear next bang. Edit we are now having really large hailstones and are 2 inches in standing water this is very serious car alarms going off.

Edited by winter watcher

Posted

Time to forget sleep, it is getting more fun now.

Thunder, lightning, hail and the rain has to be seen to be believed! Oh yes, and it is gusting up to 50 knots again 57mph.

High tide here in 40 minutes. Shouldn't be a problem though as the sustained winds are not yet more than 45mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Here comes the squall line.

Just been listening to Pirate FM (Cornwall) in the bath, its sounding really bad down there, with Devon and Cornwall Police advising people not to use the A30 near Bodmin, nor the A38 towards Liskeard. Problems down on the Lizard, Helston, Looe etc.

I think you can listen online (if that floats your boat)

Posted

Going mental out there now as squall line goes through.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Good Morning.

Nothing of note to report here in Norfolk. I don't think it will be too bad here. No rain or any wind as such. Tis a shame as I did look forward to a bit of action today. Might pick up a bit later.:mellow:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Line of thunderstorms to my west between Portsmouth and London, also storms across west Wales looking at Atd lightning detector. Damaging gusts possible in the downdrafts of these thunderstorms ...

Some nice convective skies around with Tcu.

Posted

Well away from the southwest another flop bar the rain. Storm what storm will this change later?

And west,nothing much here last night either,give it time although I think it may not be upto much here,but further south,Or when that west wind comes in it`ll be a whole new ball game.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/bracka.gif

Think this will bring severe gales on a much more widespread scale though.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn1201.png

Posted

Hmmmmm..... Sustained winds now rising. Funny how it always seems to get windier as high tide approaches.

Will take a walk down for a look once the rain squalls clear. At the moment they are so heavy it hurts to get stung by the rain.

Force 9 gusting Force 10 now.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

More thunder here.

Regards,

Tom.