Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rain / Winds / Storms - Friday Into Saturday

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Wind has suddenly got very gusty here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A station at Marazion in Cornwall to which I subscribe was reporting a mean wind speed of 56 knots an hour ago with a maximum 30 second mean of 70 knots. Currently the mean is 50 knots with a max' 30 second mean of 66 knots.

I'm not sure of the exposure but the site is 50 ft a.s.l.

That's pretty windy by anyone's standards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Sunshine and showers here now, still pretty gusty but I guess its clearing through.

Posted

Hi Lewis, I have a similar problem, mainly, I think because my station is not optimally sited. I usually ignore the direction from the station, for that I go outside.

Back on Topic, suddenly has got dark here and the NW radar says 'something wicked this way comes'

Wrong week obviously, that was best described as a 'Damp Squib', looks better further east.

Had a gust of 8 (yes eight) mph.

Safe to say we're well away from the storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Wind has suddenly got very gusty here.

ooo- yay!! you are west of me, so maybe we will get some wind here! eerily calm here...

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Rainfall event but no wind event here.

Gale gusts during the evening and night.

44mm rainfall since midday yesterday. Also thats 68mm past 2 days. Flooding I should think.

Posted

It's quite windy here in South London, we had a cracking thunderstorm this morning around 9 am and then things cleared a little. looks like a deteriorating picture again now though, clouds are scudding across the sky and it feels more gusty again. A good afternoon to sit in the Cinema and watch 2012 film i think...... hope i dont emerge to too much real life destruction from the Gales......

James

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

ooo- yay!! you are west of me, so maybe we will get some wind here! eerily calm here...

It seems gustier in any showers mostly. However i expected alot worse from this.

Posted

Still very gusty here in East Dorset with drifting rain and appears the gusts are getting stronger!

Damn, you stole my thunder!

It's very grey out there, very windy too, with rain on and off. I think people are mistaken if they think this one is a non-event.

Got woken up at half 6 this morning by rain/hail (didn't look which) drumming an incredible tattoo against my bedroom window, absolutely insane. Then just stopped, all of a sudden.

Also: http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4739749.Damage_and_flooding_as_severe_weather_continues_to_lash_Dorset/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

It seems gustier in any showers mostly. However i expected alot worse from this.

yeah me too! I knew we weren't going to get any type of "southern" event, but I expect winds to gust to 40mph or so, but its just like any other day really. One wouldn't think that parts of the UK are getting hammered with winds and rain at this moment in time.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Interesting blob over IoW with strong radar return and producing sferics on Atd ... supercell?

post-1052-1258196534652_thumb.png

Posted

yeah me too! I knew we weren't going to get any type of "southern" event, but I expect winds to gust to 40mph or so, but its just like any other day really. One wouldn't think that parts of the UK are getting hammered with winds and rain at this moment in time.

That's because Nottingham is permanently grey anyway! :) Though it's not as if Nottingham hasn't been hit, went up the pub on Thursday night to find Faraday Road (Radford/Lenton) flooded on its junction with Ilkeston Road.

Posted

Just got back from a walk along the seafront. Almost got blown off my feet as I turned the corner onto the front and I am not a lightweight either.

Gale8 and force 10 gusts-50 knots fairly steady now.

Got to go out again in a minute to get some shopping. Not looking forward to it as it looks like the rain will soon be back.

Posted

Damn, you stole my thunder!

It's very grey out there, very windy too, with rain on and off. I think people are mistaken if they think this one is a non-event.

Got woken up at half 6 this morning by rain/hail (didn't look which) drumming an incredible tattoo against my bedroom window, absolutely insane. Then just stopped, all of a sudden.

Also: http://www.bournemou...to_lash_Dorset/

hey I heard that as well hahaha! but then it stopped and I went to walk the dog at 9am and honostly, NOTHING wind-wise. Blue-ass skies and just a gently meadow breeze of about 10mph! I live in Sherwood, so not that far! Gettin cloudy to my west though, so maybe some squally conditions to come? But I really expected more from this other than the 6am rain-slamming-against-window-event.

Posted

Interesting blob over IoW with strong radar return and producing sferics on Atd ... supercell?

post-1052-1258196534652_thumb.png

Where are the two regular IOW contributers? Haven't heard from them today. Could do with a report from them on that blob.

Maybe I wont go out just yet in case that is heading my way.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Well I need to share this with you and thankfully there is a picture over on Ukww although that picture on there does not do this event justice (Believe Me)

As i turned onto the A127 Westbound near Rayleigh Weir and broke clear of the trees what I saw had my mouth open, a massive Horizontal Funnel Cloud streching possibly 1 mile across the Sky in front of me, could even see the rotation from the cloud base, I was situated in the rain free area from this mornings 9am Thunderstorm that was mainly to my North West and this is where the booming thunder was coming from, I managed to pull over with the funnel cloud now to my North by about 1 mile, the rain free base then flattened off for about 5 minutes, I would now put the rotation over S Woodham Ferries area, then many vortices came down from the base and even a "Nub" Funnel tried to extend further down, where i was I had the sun out but within 5 minutes the rain wrapping around the Rotation then hit my area, I was cursing possibly the best FC I have seen in this country and not having my camera with me, got to work and have seen a thread over on Ukww with a picture of the FC Over Basildon, this Storm was part of a Multi cell cluster and the roatation seems to have held together from at least Basildon to the Coast (At least!)

An eventful journey

Paul S

Posted

That's because Nottingham is permanently grey anyway! tease.gif Though it's not as if Nottingham hasn't been hit, went up the pub on Thursday night to find Faraday Road (Radford/Lenton) flooded on its junction with Ilkeston Road.

hahahaha!!! I know right- Land of no Weather- we have gotten some heavy bursts that do mini floods on the roads, but those bursts seem to only last like 15 minutes... Maybe the Notts sheild is more like a Sherwood Sheild hahaha!! rolleyes.gif

Posted

hey I heard that as well hahaha! but then it stopped and I went to walk the dog at 9am and honostly, NOTHING wind-wise. Blue-ass skies and just a gently meadow breeze of about 10mph! I live in Sherwood, so not that far! Gettin cloudy to my west though, so maybe some squally conditions to come? But I really expected more from this other than the 6am rain-slamming-against-window-event.

Haha - sorry, should make it clear that I've come home for the weekend, so I'm in East Dorset at the moment! But the drive down from Nottingham yesterday had some insane driving conditions in places. I would have been playing football today at Grove Farm (the UoN Sports Place by the River Trent) but apparently the fields are waterlogged, so it got cancelled!