Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Nw Severe Flooding Thread - 19Th Nov Onwards.

Lewis

Posted

Watching the weather radar its been very similar to Boscastle

longer period much more rain but the way it focusd on a relatively small area is the same. Boscastle area was smaller but its basically just two areas really badly effected Cumbria and Dumfries. Heavy rain in surrounding counties but extreme there, and its stayed there throughout.

Same happened back then. I remember watching Boscastle on radar and trying to work out where the rain was going after it left as i live in the forecast path, but rain we had was nothing compared to that area.

Rescue workers were rescued in the Boscastle flood, hope everyone is safe and just infrastructure effected today.

Posted

The six mile river in antrim N.Ireland has burst its banks. I tried to go and collect my mother from the affected area. but couldn't even get out of my street. its completely flooded. cant get the car moved either its stuck in the water. Been raining heavy again here.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

latest sat image

post-5386-12586785845302_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I own a cottage half way between Windemere and Coniston Lakes, about 3 miles from Hawkshead. Luckily it's a fair way from the river, however, there are other homes in the village that have come very close to flooding before, hope they are ok! They've had 160mm of rain in the past 24hours!

I'll be phoning my mate tomorrow to see how everything is looking!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

The tide should now be on the turn along the Cumbrian coast, maybe another hour before it peaks on the coast of Dumfries and Galloway. Hopefully this might allow water stuck in rivers to escape from around 2-3am.

It appears that there are resue operations ongoing in Cockermouth and Camerton and that the situation in Workington is deteriorating. The RNLI spokesman in Cumbria has described the situation as 'Dire'. The EA have issued 6 severe flood warnings in Cumbria with 10 in SW Scotland and The Borders. Water levels are still rising in Keswick as well.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted

This is my Area at present sorry for dark picture

100_2146.jpg

and the river that has burst its banks (earlier pic)

flood.jpg

Edited by jello

Posted

This is my Area at present sorry for dark picture

100_2146.jpg

and the river that has burst its banks (earlier pic)

flood4.jpg

Crikey Jello. Stay safe won't you!

Posted

Whats the situation in Cockermouth?. sky tv has gone off so can't keep up with it.. Expect its to do with the weather.

Edited by jello

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Sky news is just showing the same footage from earlier.

Posted

It sounds like the situation is deteriorating in a number of places - I guess as a result of the high tides and water backing up in water courses and storm drains. According to BBC Radio Cumbria, there are now flooding problems in Cockermouth, Camerton, Workington, Ulverston and Keswick. The EA are monitoring the situation on the River Caldew in Carlisle due to drains backing up. EA expecting between 15-20mm of rain for the rest of the night widely, with up to 40mm over high ground, with the worst expected between 3-4am.

Posted

Will the floodwaters rush faster when the tide goes out or does it not work like that?

Posted

New info on Sky.

Apparently people are breaking through their roofs now. No current footage or depths but i'd say it's at least ground floor level.

Edited by Stelmer

Posted

Will the floodwaters rush faster when the tide goes out or does it not work like that?

It depends on a lot of things - how big the outfall to the sea is, how fast water from the river is pooling behind the tidal locked river. It's very difficult to say without knowing the area.

BBC Radio Cumbria now reporting roads in the Maryport area now affected by flood water. RAF reporting that helicopter rescues being hampered by poor visibility and increasing winds.

Posted

sounds really bad and the new footage did you see the bit that looked like water gusshing through a walk way over river

Posted

OK final update before I hit the hay.

Cumbria Police reporting that the situation is 'extremely difficult'. Cockermouth has water levels upwards of 8 feet above street level. Keswick also badly affected. Situation very fluid - RAF reporting that 5 helicopters now assisting the coastguard, RNLI and Cumbria fire and rescue around the Cockermouth area. They expect to re-assess the situation later this morning but that the situation might get worse before the weather breaks as expected later on Friday morning. Rescue efforts concentrated in the Cockermouth and Keswick areas. There are presently 5 reception centres operating in various parts of Cumbria. Very significant travel problems with roads closed across much of central and western Cumbria. Reports on BBC Radio Cumbria indicating that the situation around Workington is deteriorating rapidly and roads around Levens and Milnthorpe are now impassable.

If you're in the area, stay safe.

Posted

latest report from Met Office

The heavy rain across northwest England and southwest Scotland is gradually moving away, to be replaced by sunshine and scattered showers. Official rain gauges at Shap, Keswick and Eskdalemuir have all recorded in excess of 100mm in the past 36 hours, whilst unofficial reports give as much as 345mm of rainfall having fallen over some parts of Cumbria during the event. Further heavy rain is expected on Saturday - see warnings.

Posted

Just 8mm of rain since midnight, so no problems here this morning, although my wife's already been phoned to say that her school is shut because many of the staff come from the Keswick area.

I do wish my wife would hurry up and get her GCSEs.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Apparently 314mm falling in 24hrs at Seathwaite, beating the 24hr rainfall record of 274mm at Martinstown, Dorset on 15 July 1955.

Just read that Seathwaite in the Lake District is probably one of the wettest inhabited places in the UK, with an average annual rainfall of 3120mm.

Posted

Just heard on the BBC that a couple of bridges have now collapsed in Workington and Keswick. I hope no body was watching the floods on them at the time. Edit, Police reckon one of thier officers is missing.

Edited by cartedj