Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Please use this thread to discuss the prospects for something wintry across the English Midlands :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Well hello to all my fellow Midlanders, wherever you may be! :D Next few days looking not too bad with regards to snow potential, personally I think from Wednesday evening onwards until Friday, there's a chance that the west Midlands could see some moderate snow bands pushing in from the north east, moreso on higher ground with Birmingham in a favoured spot due to its high elevation. Generally however, the further east you are the better chance of seeing snow, so the east Midlands would be a favoured spot from the easterly this week.

Into the weekend and it does look very interesting, but a little far away to be discussing specifics, so will leave at that. :)

I'm so glad you posted, cheered me up no end. The temp here is starting to fall now for 5.7c to 4.8c. The BBC "Midlands Today" at lunch time said we could see some snow by tomorrow evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Well hello to all my fellow Midlanders, wherever you may be! biggrin.gif Next few days looking not too bad with regards to snow potential, personally I think from Wednesday evening onwards until Friday, there's a chance that the west Midlands could see some moderate snow bands pushing in from the north east, moreso on higher ground with Birmingham in a favoured spot due to its high elevation. Generally however, the further east you are the better chance of seeing snow, so the east Midlands would be a favoured spot from the easterly this week.

Into the weekend and it does look very interesting, but a little far away to be discussing specifics, so will leave at that. biggrin.gif

Hi Weather09,

Yes the pattern is very promising for many to get snow by next week.

I think for us in the Midlands we rely on minor disturbances to give our best chance as unless the Easterly wind is very strong we get few convective showers this far inland.

However we get less modification from the warmer N.Sea which gives us the edge in marginal air temps.

Anyway lots to look out for in the next few days.

Regards,Phil

Posted

hi,everyone!!what would you say the chances were for (north) west midlands (stoke-on-trent)?many thanks in advance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Afternoon my fellow Midlands dwellers! Looking forward to all our frustrations and near misses that we seem to have every single sodding northerly outbreak. Felt bloody cold today though, 4c but it felt much colder than that!

Posted

Looks like some front edge snow on Wednesday as well, so we have some decent chances in the Midlands for some snow, West Midlands could do well on Tuesday eveing as the cold air digs back further west again and lower dew points spread eastwards, thats what we see on the 12z GFS as well but its very hard to call right now...

The cold spell is looking great for almost everywhere in the midlands, i think we are in with a good chance of an evaporative cooling event in the next few days and some severe frosts at the weekend as usual those lucky people on high ground will get the most out of it, i wonder where the edge hill guy, is i think he`ll do very well out of this cold spell by next week :)

Posted

you got to be kidding me....look whats on its way for tonight :)

sleet at present but snow later..

well a possability

edit.. turning to snow now in the East

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Never quite sure if Northampton is east anglia or midlands temp and dew point slowly falling here but still well above zero

Posted

Looks like some front edge snow on Wednesday as well, so we have some decent chances in the Midlands for some snow, West Midlands could do well on Tuesday eveing as the cold air digs back further west again and lower dew points spread eastwards, thats what we see on the 12z GFS as well but its very hard to call right now...

Our best snows from northerlies come from those "unexpected" events - the trough popping up that nobody foresaw. Those are the best kind of snow events, you expect nothing and get a lot!

It will all come down to now-casting as per usual. Well it would be boring if everything was sorted days in advance, where's the excitement in that? :D

Posted

If this weekends North Westerly/Polar Low ends up actually happening then it looks like we could recieve a fair amount of snow then

have the potential Cheshire Gap streamer to look forward to, this weekends charts have a bit of a 28th January 2004 followed by early

March 2006 vibe about them.

Posted

If this weekends North Westerly/Polar Low ends up actually happening then it looks like we could recieve a fair amount of snow then

have the potential Cheshire Gap streamer to look forward to, this weekends charts have a bit of a 28th January 2004 followed by early

March 2006 vibe about them.

If we had a January 2004 I would be very happy indeed. That was fantastic.

As you say, our best friend the Cheshire Gap could help us once again. Liking the 12z thus far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Hi everyone - hows the 12z GFS and UKMO looking!

My weather station has picked today to pack up so no temps and dewpoints from me until I can get it fixed.

Hope we all get lots and lots of the white stuff - see you for a bit of lamp-post-watching tomorrow night hopefully!!!!!!

Edited by dvdfjojo

Posted

Hi everyone - hows the 12z GFS and UKMO looking!

My weather station has picked today to pack up so new temps and dewpoints from me until I can get it fixed.

Hope we all get lots and lots of the white stuff - see you for a bit of lamp-post-watching tomorrow night hopefully!!!!!!

hi was just thinking the same thing...

The sleet isnt far away now and with temp's falling it should be snow when it hit's the Midland's..

Lamp-post night it is..

Posted

It's 4.5 here with light drizzle , lets hope we have something to talk about in the next few days.

Posted

all i can see on forecasts for the midlands are really cold temps and some light snow showers?...are we ever going to get heavy snowfall if so whennnnnnnnnn??wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Temp here falling, down to 4.3c.

Willing it to drop faster, promised grand children and the dog a snowball fight if it all comes together right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Yes the pattern is very promising for many to get snow by next week.

I would 'suggest' you look out of your window this week, you might miss some ? rolleyes.gif

Posted

Looks like the Midlands in general has a fair few snow chances, though a couple of them this week look on the marginal side and not very widespread. Something to watch is the frontal system coming in from the NW during the weekend, will be most interesting to see how this ends up for you guys.

A pretty messy set-up for the next 48hrs however, lots of precip pushing into the region, could see some snow tonight/tomorrow morning in the far SE of the region but hard to call.

Posted

Hello fellow Midlands based posters. It's been a day of near constant drizzle in Northants so the ground is very wet indeed- not ideal for settling snow should it come our way in the coming hours.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Met Office forecast for tomorrow which suggests light sleet / snow showers all day for the region and into Wednesday, turning increasingly wintry later in the day. Fortunately I finish work at 3 tomorrow so I can get back to do a spot of radar and/or lampost watching. I feel it could be very hit & miss over the next few days (marginal really) but there might be some surprises.

By the weekend it will definitely be cold enough for snow all over the UK, and with the tantalising prospect of a frontal system slipping south that will definitely be one to watch for Sunday morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A little snow possible tomorrow evening i think. Then the fun begins with various showers/bands of snow possible. Eyes on to the weekend but too far away to make real judgements yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Hi guys

Should be an interesting week ahead for us. I have often found that it snows in Tamworth when it is often not forecast! We have lots of possibilities and we should enjoy this cold spell. Cannot remember the last time before Christmas we have had such a window of opportunity for snow!

Enjoy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Hi guys, Well all seamed good a few days ago but the word MARGINAL is creeping in more and more so lets hope not.drinks.gif