Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

If you have a look on here: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ you can see the direction the wind is coming from. The Easterly/Northerly wind is sloooooowly working it's way down to us, over the last few days we've had W/SW winds, that considered, it's surprising we had sleet/snow in these parts last night.

Posted

snowing here..quite heavy will take a pic shortly

I know I'm an hour late but at last brilliant we have touchdown, wind here in the last 10 mins has picked up so maybe we might get some of the white stuff in tewks.

But with a temp at 2.1c it will probably be a wet snowy/sleet mix, Rob m's forcast earlier was a classic all areas to see snow by sunday.

And monday he wouldn't elaborate but cryptically said it has huge "potential" and monday hah.cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Cor blimey, 32mm of rain progged for next Wednesday here in Bristol. I know I shouldn't be looking so far ahead but jeez that's a lot of rain, especially if the weather Gods HAVE blessed us with snow too. And with a feel temperature of 1C.

I did like the end of Rob McElwee's forecast this evening :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

With respect to the BBC forecast we have just recieved a stunner from Rob McCelwee who could hardly contain his excitement at the end with regards the snow potential for the coming days.

The BBC showed two troughs in the arctic air once of Saturday likely to give snow for the north away from western coastal areas and then another on Sunday, he then said something about Monday with a knowing wink - up until the 10.30 forecast the BBC were certainly not mentioning much snow potential for the weekend, however, they are now and watch those white blobs appearing all over the north soon enough. It was a great forecast so pleased Rob did it.. a bit of a classic really..

Agreed, I loved the last line: 'So by the end of the weekend virtually all of us will have seen snow...... and then there's Monday!! mwah hahaha!!!' laugh.gif

Posted

I know I'm an hour late but at last brilliant we have touchdown, wind here in the last 10 mins has picked up so maybe we might get some of the white stuff in tewks.

But with a temp at 2.1c it will probably be a wet snowy/sleet mix, Rob m's forcast earlier was a classic all areas to see snow by sunday.

And monday he wouldn't elaborate but cryptically said it has huge "potential" and monday hah.cold.gif

hi smarty....yes he looked positive.....now you know what the west can be like for snow..

Just maybe we WILL have the large dumping :yahoo:

not getting to hopefull though this time...

Hi Fiona...nothing here in Chelt...........anyone else

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Going by the forecasts this morning, I shouldn't see a single snowflake today & tomorrow.

Not looking good for the weekend either.

Posted

I think we are still on course for something in the SW this weekend, nothing really has changed and it's backed up by the METO, ECM and GFS charts.

Today and tomorrow look dry, except for Far east Dorset or maybe Bristol or east Wiltshire, which might see a slight covering.

Sat Sunday does still look good.

A word of warning though, the posters on here will probably know their locations best.

If you are by the sea, then remember it's December so Sea temps will be a couple of degrees up on what they will be in Feb (when the best chance for snow in the SW is historically).

If your on the moors, chilterns, mendips etc you have a much better chance this weekend, the SW covers a lot of different areas and you have to take some responsibility for the area you live i.e if you live on the lizard don't come on here complaining about how your temps arn't sub zero and you don't have half a ft of snow !.

If you get snow enjoy it and hope everyone does. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Thanks for the update Ice, not getting my hope up, but hope to have a pleasant surprise over the coming day's.

Good luck to everyone (we're going to need it)

Posted

I think we are still on course for something in the SW this weekend, nothing really has changed and it's backed up by the METO, ECM and GFS charts.

Today and tomorrow look dry, except for Far east Dorset or maybe Bristol or east Wiltshire, which might see a slight covering.

Sat Sunday does still look good.

A word of warning though, the posters on here will probably know their locations best.

If you are by the sea, then remember it's December so Sea temps will be a couple of degrees up on what they will be in Feb (when the best chance for snow in the SW is historically).

If your on the moors, chilterns, mendips etc you have a much better chance this weekend, the SW covers a lot of different areas and you have to take some responsibility for the area you live i.e if you live on the lizard don't come on here complaining about how your temps arn't sub zero and you don't have half a ft of snow !.

If you get snow enjoy it and hope everyone does. :D

great post ice thanks ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

YYEEESSS!!

Forecast advisory extended to Gloucestershire!!

http://metoffice.com/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=1

(And Wiltshire/Swindon)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

YYEEESSS!!

Cool, lets just hope something does come of that ;)

Posted

Latest Metcheck Article:

We have been talking about it for much of the week, and today marks the arrival of that north-easterly wind which is going to bring bitterly cold conditions, and snow to southeast Britain in particular.

Already this morning a number of heavy showers are running into eastern Britain as those winds freshen up, and as we go through the day they will turn increasingly wintry with hail, sleet and snow. This is something we are monitoring closely because there is a high risk of significant snowfall developing across parts of East Anglia and southeast England tonight, along with strong to near gale force winds which would give blizzard like conditions in places - please see our Severe Weather Warning for more information.

If you are in central or western areas, you will probably be wondering what the fuss is about with a mainly dry day in the offering, although it will be cold and breezy. There will be some sunny spells around with only a few coastal showers.

It will remain mostly dry and clear tonight in western parts, with a widespread frost developing. Concern will be focused on central, eastern and south-eastern England where heavy snow is expected at times as the very cold air comes across a still rather warm North Sea meaning intense convection is likely. This means part of the east and southeast will see local blizzards, possible thunder, significant accumulations and drifting of snow resulting in possible disruption for Friday.

I hope East Dorset gets something ;) (Oh and thats a sarcastic laugh not a excited laugh!)

Currently clear skies here and looks freezing out!

Edited by Snowman15

Posted

It is so nice but gets me smashed quite quickly!

Only on the south west thread would you get us talking about cider lol.drinks.gif

I think we should all ask the mods to change the name of our thread to damp squid discussion thread or something we have more chance at getting like frost lookout discusion thread.....

acute.giflazy.gifhelp.gif

Funny you should say about changing the title of the thread......I'd thought that last night as well!

Something along the line of "South West England Crap Spell Discussion".......hope that's not too rude. It's certainly more appropriate!

My first ever alcoholic drink was when I was 14. Someone had managed to get some REALLY rough cider and we sat on the bank of the River Exe (near the old glue factory) and got sozzled. The cider plus the wafts emanating from the glue factory must have been a heady concoction! :D

Posted

Funny you should say about changing the title of the thread......I'd thought that last night as well!

Something along the line of "South West England Crap Spell Discussion".......hope that's not too rude. It's certainly more appropriate!

My first ever alcoholic drink was when I was 14. Someone had managed to get some REALLY rough cider and we sat on the bank of the River Exe (near the old glue factory) and got sozzled. The cider plus the wafts emanating from the glue factory must have been a heady concoction! :D

glue and rough cider now that takes me back lol :D

Posted

YYEEESSS!!

(And Wiltshire/Swindon)

:D:D:D

freezing here..still ice around...

South West England:

Gloucestershire

Swindon

Wiltshire

Heavy Snow Fri 18 Dec

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of eastern and southern England. Snow showers, especially during the first half of the day, will give local accumulations of 5 cm, with perhaps 10 cm on hills. Some drifting snow is possible in the strong north to northeasterly wind.

Issued at: 0847 Thu 17 Dec

Edited by dogs32

Posted

YYEEESSS!!

(And Wiltshire/Swindon)

Lucky old you lot! :D Just a teensy-weensy bit more to the west and I'll be happy. Fingers crossed. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

drinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gif

South West England:

Gloucestershire

Swindon

Wiltshire

Heavy Snow Fri 18 Dec

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of eastern and southern England. Snow showers, especially during the first half of the day, will give local accumulations of 5 cm, with perhaps 10 cm on hills. Some drifting snow is possible in the strong north to northeasterly wind.

Only just cleared here so hardly a frost around but cold.

I see meto have got snow for the far south west corner on map for weekend which just leaves bristol and somerset out. wallbash.gifwallbash.gif Then rain for monday cc_confused.gif

Posted

:drinks::drinks::drinks:

South West England:

Gloucestershire

Swindon

Wiltshire

Heavy Snow Fri 18 Dec

Surely East Dorset will get effected then if all the counties north and east of us are!?? :unknw: :wacko:

NEtweather gives Bournemouth a 80% Chance of snow at 3pm today and 92% Chance at 6pm today. Not sure how reliable the local forecasts are on here?

Edited by Snowman15

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

There seems to be alot of talk about a break down from south west which would give us rain for a change not snow looking at current situation. Looks like the beast from the east will end up going out like a drowned cat for us in west country. cray.gifbad.gif

Posted

It's funny how the METO go from hardly a snow flake over the south west, to issuing advisories for some of the northern and eastern areas at less than 24hr notice. !.

Yep I think east dorset and the Bristol area might see a little bit.

Posted

one positive outcome so far in the Kitten from the East..

Is that the met now have extended the warning's West, maybe a trend for thing's to come or wishfull thinking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Snow is about 50 miles further NW on this run!

Compare - previous run:

ukprec.png

Current run:

ukprec.png

Details...

Just another 100 miles this way please!

Posted

Thats Interesting James, as I now wondering if the heavy bit around Norfolk will swing around here for later...

Meto might turn Orange later for around here....well I can hope

Edited by dogs32