Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion 3

M'Lady

Posted

Even in Oldham you won't be seeing anything like those levels - follow the radar history and you can see that the PPN is lasting around 60 to 90 minutes as it heads South.

Talk of freezing rain always makes me smile and is so often raised as a possibility, but I have only ever seen it once.

It does seem to be evolving more as it leaves Scotland Ian. I would say by the time it reaches here, we could be looking at 3 hours of quite intense snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Raining in South Cheshireyahoo.gif Have to turn the heating down LOL

C.S

Posted
My only concern is that they will slip through the Cheshire Gap and miss completely- which has happened before for my area, while other parts get really heavy snow.

There's a possibility that could happen, I also have recollections of missing snow showers with a North Westerly element to them. I'm hoping the showers will be widespread, and therefore push well inland.

Posted

There's a possibility that could happen, I also have recollections of missing snow showers with a North Westerly element to them. I'm hoping the showers will be widespread, and therefore push well inland.

That main band seems to be moving more and more eastwards..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Yes NW'erlys are very interesting for our region, sometimes we can be very lucky and get with shower after shower in a streamer type scenario or they just miss us to the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

We had a really heavy snow shower at lunchtime which deposited about 1-2cms on the ground which is the most snow we've had here for about 4-5 years, since then it's been sleety on and off but not really melting the snow , the temp hasn't got above -0.6c all day and has felt bitter, currenty back at -0.8c with clearing skies.

Edited by Spurry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Even in Oldham you won't be seeing anything like those levels - follow the radar history and you can see that the PPN is lasting around 60 to 90 minutes as it heads South.

Talk of freezing rain always makes me smile and is so often raised as a possibility, but I have only ever seen it once.

Well my 30 years of life all of which has been in this part of Oldham I can honestly says its a possibillity. Since Thursday the showers have been releatively light but even when meltage occurs a breif 2 min light - moderate snow shower can lay 1cm so if we do get atleast an hour and half of heavy snow then 15cm in places is certainly not impossible. I am hoping for longer than that though tbh.

Dont forget you said Thursdays snow showers wouldnt penetrate western areas look what happened :o

Lets just wait and see, either way im already a happy chappy so far :(

Posted

The 1600 hours radar update shows the band weakening in the middle with the heaviest side heading for the eastern side of the country!

I agree with Ian Brown, even if the band is all snow, it is moving too quickly so large accumulations are unlikely.

Karyo

Posted

and fragmenting :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Heads up. We are now included in the Meto warnings for today. Snow over high ground and sleet/rain at lower levels with icy patches on roads.

Thats def good news for tomorrow - icy surfaces will help any falling snow to settle in marginal areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ Does seem to be edging that way. There's still time for developments though...

Posted

mmm...all we want now is just that main band to sink directly southwards and it will be Bingo in a lot of places. Does seem to be shifting more South Easterly direction.

Posted

Just caught the beeb weather on news24 at 1630. Tonight, rain and sleet northern england, temps to plummet and the snow forecast for tomorrow seems to have been ramped up a bit with an even bigger area of snow in the North west by around 1/2/3 ish tomorrow afternoon.

snow is pepping up somewhat over cumbria , lake district now

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

the temperature is on a rapid rise now, 2.4C dewpoint approaching 2C, snow chance all but diminished until tomorrow

Posted

The 1600 hours radar update shows the band weakening in the middle with the heaviest side heading for the eastern side of the country!

I agree with Ian Brown, even if the band is all snow, it is moving too quickly so large accumulations are unlikely.

Karyo

It does appear to be concentrated over Eastern regions more!

Posted

Plenty of showers packing in behind it however, maybe a slight possibility of a Polar Low if were really lucky in synopsis such as these, especially throughout early Sunday into Monday.

Posted

Temp here hovering around freezing. Had expected it to be on the way up by now.

Just to add, i can't remember the last time we had lying snow on the ground for more than 2 days here.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted

Really quite anoying now. The NW snow sheild seems to be kicking in. As its moving south its also getting shunted east. On top of that the warm sector is comming into play. At this rate there wont be any snow tonight :)

Posted

looks like behind this rain band is the sleet and snow. Lets hope that stuff in the Irish sea will deliver..right now with temps increasing in places its looking really bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Im hoping for this system to move through as quickly as possible because I know it'll be rain, and there will be more time for it to freeze in time for tomorrow. Temp has been steadily rising here in Southport, now 3.6c.

Edited by chris93

Posted

Just took a months subscription to the NW radar...it's getting exiting :)

Posted

Spoke too soon, up to 1c now and still going up.

Warm sector has reached us too soon (where is the undercutting?)..not looking good at all. Islolated higher elevations will see the snow tonight as for tomorrow..

Posted

We had a really heavy snow shower at lunchtime which deposited about 1-2cms on the ground which is the most snow we've had here for about 4-5 years, since then it's been sleety on and off but not really melting the snow , the temp hasn't got above -0.6c all day and has felt bitter, currenty back at -0.8c with clearing skies.

Spoke too soon ...now up to -0.2c and light sleet :(