Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion 3

M'Lady

Posted

Had nothing here for some time now, got a nice cm of solid snow standing but no sign of any more rain or snow.

Just set my outdoor sensor back up, will have to check out temps from now on.

Edited by Carlisle2568

A bit of intensification on the western edge perhaps?

http://cirrus.netweather.tv/viewimage.pbx?type=hiradar;file=radaralargev4_1755;sess=e37e6d78e27447e7771628fe13f1526a

starting to follow the GFS a little more I think.

lol something needs to happen quickly!

TEmps on the rise and the precip is very light,hopefully tomorrow will be better for us but thats shwoers andthey are hit and miss.

Very disappointed.bbc way out with their warnings for NWEngland. :drinks:

Posted

My temperature readings don't give decimals, but for the first time I have gone from 0c (probably 0.9) to 1c. So on a knife edge now. Snow has stopped aswell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Still snowing moderately and still sticking, smaller flakes now however, temp ever so slowly still creeping up 0.2°C now

edit: stopped now, the next snowfall should be the main band, fingers crossed.

Edited by James M

Posted

if the coastal regions see nothing by first light tomorrow then you can bank cert on it not snowing at all during the day..or if it does it will be a 5 min flurry. I think a lot of people are getting really annoyed with the huge hike in temps..i say lets see what happens overnight and into tomorrow morning. We have seen these exact setups before never deliver so quite a few pessimistic folks about including me this time. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

3.8C, been pouring down for the last half an hour, everything now melted, now just looks like it has done most of the year - wet rolleyes.gif

To cap it all off having seen North-West Tonight forecast, looks like just south and east of me will get a pasting while IMBY it looks like the precip tomorrow is heading south of me completely. mad.gif

As ever time will tell how accurate this may be...

Edited by Cric_lancster

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Are you absolutely certain the warm sector of air as left the liverpool region / outlying areas? Something very bizarre going on here. I live far enough away from heat shield liverpool to feel its effects. Yet even here its rising 4.1C

Hi hot cuppa. You are feeling the effects of a warm Irish Sea from a moderate westerly wind which will hold the temperatures up until the northerly kicks in.

You can see the wind direction here

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

The locations slightly south of you are protected by the Welsh mountains and won't see such a dramatic temperature drop. However with colder uppers tomorrow the Warm Irish Sea should be favourable in generating wintry convection and your time will come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

well I guess this is what they called "localised"pardon.gif

The main band should be reaching you anytime now, do you know your height above sea level?

Posted

lol something needs to happen quickly!

TEmps on the rise and the precip is very light,hopefully tomorrow will be better for us but thats shwoers andthey are hit and miss.

Very disappointed.bbc way out with their warnings for NWEngland. :wallbash:

The BBC never said it would snow here tonight, neither did the Meto so for here they have both been spot on. As for tomorrow, its going to be much colder and if the last polar NWerly is anything to go by then the warnings are justified IMO. The nature of showers are hit and miss, but there is the possibility of 2 organised bands of showers, both on the fax charts, that could give a decent snowfall. Of course some areas will miss the showers but lets wait till tomorrow night before we say they were way out ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Sleeting here. 3.1c now. Still no massive rise in temperature, im much colder than all my surrouding areas.

Posted

THe meto radar is evidently useless as there are now yellows over my house and i look outside and NOTHING.

what the hecks going on?

I think sometimes the allignment of the radar image on the maps can be a bit off, you just have to take off/add the time if you can work it out

Posted

Hi hot cuppa. You are feeling the effects of a warm Irish Sea from a moderate westerly wind which will hold the temperatures up until the northerly kicks in.

The locations slightly south of you are protected by the Welsh mountains and won't see such a dramatic temperature drop. However with colder uppers tomorrow the Warm Irish Sea should be favourable in generating wintry convection and your time will come.

Thanks for the heads up, normally we don't have the same weather as Liverpool, more like that of cheshire. Today we have been mostly stuck at around 1.5C until this evening when it hiked up quite drastically. Interestingly Liverpool and its immediate surrounding area was sitting at 2.5 for much of the day with the occasional scattered snow shower. For us we didn't see a single flake before the warm sector moved in, then we had a few flakes, since then a few rain showers but they have died off. I am hoping for a wind change to the NW. This is just horrible weather right now.

Posted

Your about a mile away from me across the runcorn bridge..its reading 4.1C now and rising.

Temp rose rapidly here about an hour ago up to 5.5c now falling slowly again at 5.1c. Dewpoint 3.2c

Not expecting much snow around here tonight but crossing my fingers for tomorrow as i've promissed the kids some snow :drinks:

Posted

Temp rose rapidly here about an hour ago up to 5.5c now falling slowly again at 5.1c. Dewpoint 3.2c

Not expecting much snow around here tonight but crossing my fingers for tomorrow as i've promissed the kids some snow :drinks:

well we'd better start praying now lol

good thing is , the temp has leveled off at 4.1C now, just hope it goes back down just as rapidly as it rose lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

conditions are favourable for polar low formation, keep watching the satellite images, northern ireland to the east, sw scotland and NW england look at risk from very significant snowfall through sunday and organised bands of snow in areas with drifting a possibilty in the strong winds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Oh dear, I fear it will be sleeting in Moreton tomorrow :drinks::D

No you should be alright, Moreton tends to be one the colder areas of the north coast.

Posted

Yes, that's what I'm thinking-the Irish Sea is just too warm..and while the wind is in West we will see little snow, we need a swing in the wind to the North

Posted

conditions are favourable for polar low formation, keep watching the satellite images, northern ireland to the east, sw scotland and NW england look at risk from very significant snowfall through sunday and organised bands of snow in areas with drifting a possibilty in the strong winds

Would love to see another polar low, I think the last one to hit around here was the winter of 2001-2002 I think or maybe i'm wrong, it was a good 7 or 8 years ago put it that way!!