Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion 3

M'Lady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

typical band cleared south, and light snow behind it temp was 3.8c 20mins ago now 1.1 !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Yep temp here is up to 0.3 and im sure I can see spots of wetness hitting my window ! Not to worry though fellas Ive already sent out the distress signal to the weather gods ....help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.giflaugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

well a slight temp rise here - but still -1.5oC. It really will have to be a very steep rise to get the leading edge to fall as rain. SO far this afternoon, had a fair run of light showers and flurries, but no sign of any sleet

lets see what happens in a couple of hours (fingers crossed)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

SLEET NOW AND 1.3C , think i'll open a few windows and turn the heating down <_<

Posted

The warm sector has ruined it for us.

I saw it coming last night.

Unbelievablely bad luck for the NW.

my understanding of the setup was that rain was originally forecasted ahead of the polar air, then during this evening temps would drop significantly and more persistant snow arrives in the region tomorrow morning and intensifies tomorrow afternoon..with more snow forecast for Monday.

I'd prefer a true northerly, since NW in our region don't fair to well.

Temp rose to 3.5C and is now slowly dropping..now 3.3C..only problem now is the dewpoint was 1.4C now its 1.6C still the good news appears to be in the south of the region temps are slowly falling again...fingers crossed.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Steady rain now in Cheadle.......temps upto 3.5c, are we expecting temps to drop again in the next few hours? and if so will that turn this rain back to snow?

Looking at the radar, there are some showers which should be around your area now, these are ahead of the main band of precipitation. We have just had a light snow shower, temp. -0.1 and rising very slowly. Doesn't look good at 3.5c unfortunately, but the air behind the front is cold with plently of activity to follow so still reasons for optimismsmile.gif

Posted

Even if you don't see snow tonight you will see loads of snow tomorrow, those showers will pack quite a Punch.

Posted

Snowing here nicely and settling readily. The temperature has crept up to 0.4C though so whether it will stay as snow or not, I don't know.

How's it looking for tomorrow for inland Cumbria? I listened to the Radio 4 forecast, but gleaned nothing from it.

Posted

Well looking at the radar the next band of rain is turning into freezing rain over the coast, perhaps the colder air is arriving already ?

I thnk we are seeing the last of the warm air in the south of the region..however not seeing the sleet or the ice rain on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Snowing moderately here now, some decent sized flakes so I'm a little more positive now! My ice day was not to be though 0.1°C now.

Posted

Well looking at the radar the next band of rain is turning into freezing rain over the coast, perhaps the colder air is arriving already ?

No because, freezing rain is caused by "milder air" overriding the colder air near the surface. This situation is cold air digging behind a front.

:)

Posted

Temp 3.3

Dew Point 1.6C

Wind Chill 3.3 (0.6)

Wind speed 2.0mph

Wind Direction W by S

Pressure 1002.5mb (-1.0)

Precip (None)

Current Conditions (Low Cloud)

Time Of Sample (Local) 5.30PM

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

No because, freezing rain is caused by "milder air" overriding the colder air near the surface. This situation is cold air digging behind a front.

:)

Thanks for that had no idea :) raining again here.

Posted

Huge snowflakes and a couple of cm's falling in Geordie land. Looks like they have the best of the snowy weather at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Posted

The temperature will creep up by 0.5'c as the frontal cloud passes over, as the precip begins to bring down the freezing layer however these temperatures will steadily fall back to their minimas again and a cooling trend will be observed with the passage of the Cold Front.

The warm sector is offshore around the Morecambe Bay area, but heading inland it seems the nocturnal temps are transitioning this rain back to Snow again as it reaches the coastal areas, so parts of Western Manchester, Cheshire, Liverpool may see some Sleet at first before the Snow comes behind the cooling temps.

Further Eastwards inland however theres no worries as it'll all be Snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Wonder which radar is going to right .. The raintoday shows the band of ppn prepping up as its heads southwards over the pennines and also the Band coming in off the Irish see looks to be prepping up to ! but that one you just linked looks weaker.

Maybe its slowing down. Nothing happening here except the temp is up to 0.6.

Mmm its just started again here but its that fine I cannot make out the type !

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

some places are now reporting 3.7C and rising..this is in the south of the region..tbh I dont hold sway with that number..the warm front as moved through it should be generally cooling.