Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion 3

M'Lady

Posted

Its built up quite a bit on its extreme Western end towards North Wales, If you drew a line from the I-O-M to Birmingham i'd expect anywhere along Wales and England to be getting some high precip totals if this convective building continues.

As the Front is moving over Lancs however its more stabilising as the Polar Air is now undercutting. Would be intresting to see what the "heat-island" of Manchester does to the Front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Snowing again here now, big juicy flakes! admittedly it looks a bit wet but it's still sticking!

Posted

what my concern would be if the temps being reported keep rising inspite of this cold front..some places could end up seeing 4.5/5C before long.

Wonder how much effect this warm sector is actually having..and how big is it?

My temp reading from the back of the garden is now reading 3.7C and rising. This area of warm air must be quite extensive if its as far north as preston and south in hale, liverpool.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

1c DP 0c here in Northwich

Dont have a clue as to if that warm sector has been and gone or if it still to get to the south of the region?

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

send it here :lol: only 5 miles down the road lol

Just been out to have quick measure, we have a nice even 3cm now, lovely :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

well we had very heavy rain, temp reached 3.8c and when it cleared south turned to very light snow behind and the temp fell 2.7 degrees to 1c in about 15 mins!! hope we will see some snow tomorrow its looking good for organised bands to crop up in this situation

Edited by james12

Posted

The back edge is just working through Cumbria, passed though Keswick - Whitehaven area at 5:30.

Something is causing temps in the south of the region to keep rising significantly. How can the warm sector have gone and yet temps still rising furiously?

Posted

Snowing again here now, big juicy flakes! admittedly it looks a bit wet but it's still sticking!

Yes, snowing here too. Trying to look hard to see if it's that wet snow/sleety mix, but it is sticking - might be a good sign, becuause this is I think the milder sector upon us now.

Posted

This is just bizarre now the precip should be over us but there is zilch.

I think sometimes the allignment of the radar image on the maps can be a bit off, you just have to take off/add the time if you can work it out.

Still snow here....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I can see the cloud to the north, although currently there are clear skies overhead, doesn't stop the temperature rising though. It's coming though and will undoubtedly be rain, to start with anyway

Posted

Are you absolutely certain the warm sector of air as left the liverpool region / outlying areas? Something very bizarre going on here. I live far enough away from heat shield liverpool to feel its effects. Yet even here its rising 4.1C

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

some places are now reporting 3.7C and rising..this is in the south of the region..tbh I dont hold sway with that number..the warm front as moved through it should be generally cooling.

Warm front didn't boot up temperatures that much here. Maxed out at 2.8c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

I think sometimes the allignment of the radar image on the maps can be a bit off, you just have to take off/add the time if you can work it out.

Still snow here....

This is just crazy .. a breif 30 second flurry of nice flakes and its stopped again... Its looking like im about a mile or so too far west lol.

Posted

Something is causing temps in the south of the region to keep rising significantly. How can the warm sector have gone and yet temps still rising furiously?

My understanding is that a warm sector is bounded by a warm front and a cold front and therefore the cold front hasn't gone through yet. :drinks:

Posted

Warm front didn't boot up temperatures that much here. Maxed out at 2.8c.

Your about a mile away from me across the runcorn bridge..its reading 4.1C now and rising.

Huge snowflakes and a couple of cm's falling in Geordie land. Looks like they have the best of the snowy weather at the moment.

Basically everywhere is going to get some apart from round here, the west and south Wales, the southwest and south coast.

Back down to -6 in Norfolk already.

Posted

A bit of intensification on the western edge perhaps?

http://cirrus.netweather.tv/viewimage.pbx?type=hiradar;file=radaralargev4_1755;sess=e37e6d78e27447e7771628fe13f1526a

starting to follow the GFS a little more I think.