Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Same here lol, who knows what might happen, im not staying up late like last night though hoping for snow.

Lol knowing me i will stay up late hoping to get some, cloud to my south looks like its over the Bristol Channel, also some cloud coming in the distance to my west.

Posted

Lol knowing me i will stay up late hoping to get some, cloud to my south looks like its over the Bristol Channel, also some cloud coming in the distance to my west.

Lol i'll stay up, let me know what the situation is where you are.

Posted

I think we all might have a shower tonight:)

Look to southern ire may produce something in a few hours the circulation should push them to wales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Lol i'll stay up, let me know what the situation is where you are.

Yeah will do!

There is a big dark cloud to my south looks like its moveing up the Bristol Channel and it looks to me like it might be producing something, hard to tell from here though.

Posted

Yeah will do!

There is a big dark cloud to my south looks like its moveing up the Bristol Channel and it looks to me like it might be producing something, hard to tell from here though.

Ye i can see it lol, nothing here yet....im hopeful tonight for us though mate.

Posted

Ye i can see it lol, nothing here yet....im hopeful tonight for us though mate.

Yeah i think we should see something tonight.

Posted

There's definately a bit more action on the radar in the far west of Pembrokeshire.

It's been a very frustrating day here- snow showers to the north and sleet/hail to the south and nothing where I am! I seem to have missed snow from the east, north and now the north west.

Still- it remains (in theory!) a great set-up. Expect the unexpected?

Posted

Would be nice to see at least an inch, i know im being greedy but we've seen nothing so far compared to the rest of the UK.

Yeah i know, i dont think an inch is being greedy lol seeming the rest of the uk have had several inches from showers. Can see loads of cloud to the South but none really to my west, hope it all comes sooner rather than later.

Posted

I'm afraid it was - the low up in the north of Scotland at the moment is dragging the winds round to a more westerly direction which is why tonight as the low comes further south there may be showers coming in off the west coast and along the channel for south wales - GFS was showing this for a while now

west to east direction then!

Looks a lot better for showers tonight the ones over eire cumming to us.

Posted

Lots of cumulus clouds developing in the Bristol Channel.

These are showers, the wind must change to a more westerly direction for them to come ashore in Wales. Otherwise, heading for South West England.

Posted

Maybe our first snow... been reading the SE thread they are greedy lol asking when more snow is coming even though they already have had 6"+ in some areas.crazy.gif

Probably a bunch of bankers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I see some cumulonimbus to the South. By about 10-11pm tonight the wind should start to turn more SW which should blow them into S. Wales. I'll probably be too far inland to even get these though, typical.

Those on the coast though may get rain/sleet.

Posted

I must say, the huge clouds to my south look like they are ever so slowly getting closer as the move west to east! And there is cloud to my west aswell so maybe we will get something within the next few hours, just have to wait and see.

Most of our best snow periods in the south of wales have been when a low comes up from the south and bumps into cold air -

Easterlies don't tend to deliver because of the travel required for the showers to get over land

Northerlies struggle as well because of the mountains in north and mid wales

Westerlies struggle with temperature over the Atlantic ocean

so we are just left with a southerly low hitting cold air

The best set up for here are NW winds but in this case, the low pressure messed up Saturday night, and the NE winds turned rapidly to W, not allowing any time for a real NW to establish.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Got down to -4c this morning causing glazed ice after the evenings rain and sleet.

There was a dusting of snow pellets/ soft hail 3 miles up the road, and also in Aberystwyth, but nothing here,

In spite of there being an abundance of potential looking Cumulus clouds all day, all we got was the odd spot/ flurry/pellet/hail stone.

With the wind being off the sea it was not as cold either, max 4c. Some of the ice did last all day on shaded lanes and with a covering visible over the hills to the east and north.

Shower potential tonight, when at least they should accumulate if heavy enough. Flow from the NW with a possible trough over NW Ireland, but apart from some 'home growns' scattered about Wales currently, the radar looks rather empty as far as NW Ireland.

Like the look of the week ahead, always wintry potential, and could Wales see a decent snowfall, and perhaps even a white Christmas with the cold air set to stay put?

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Are showers meant to hit us later on tonight mate?

It is possible and the GFS map I posted earlier showed possible on shore snow/sleet showers between 12 midnight and 6 in the morning with another chance showing up at 6 tomorrow afternoon - Xmas eve keeps showing very good potential though

Posted

It is possible and the GFS map I posted earlier showed possible on shore snow/sleet showers between 12 midnight and 6 in the morning with another chance showing up at 6 tomorrow afternoon - Xmas eve keeps showing very good potential though

So we could get some snow showers tomorrow, sounds good.

Certainly in increase in shower potential for tonight for southern areas shown on the GFS, NMM and UKMO models overnight.

However with the winds coming of the SW there certainly is the risk of this brining slighlty milder air off the seas, and no certainty of them being of snow.