Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

M'Lady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I'd check the sighting of your thermometer because a few time now there a guy on UKWW in Runcorn who records consistently lower than you, by a matter of whole degrees. even an area the size of Runcorn should only differ at most by 0.5 to 0.8C.

-0.6C now, so I imagine -2C is easily achievable before the rainband.

It's on a wooden gate enclosed by walls, in a very small yard about 4 feet wide surrounded by houses.

Not that we've got an option BUT is there anyone who would prefer the front to stall South of the region to preserve current snowcover?

Or take the risk for a nice top up of fresh snow?

I'd take the risk. Snow here is rock hard ice.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Has been a steady -1 Celsius here for the last couple of hours so as the system moves through it will likely shift this colder northern air further south, meaning any rain will likely start to turn to sleet / snow sooner or later where temperatures are hovering around freezing at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It's on a wooden gate enclosed by walls, in a very small yard about 4 feet wide surrounded by houses.

Thats pretty much why then, the walla are trapping the heat, it would be interesting to sight it somewhere else to see what the results are, unless you're recording some valuable data based on the conditions and location you have it in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

bbc local radio, trai anfield just said heavy snow after around midnight 5-10cm in places and not just over high ground!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Not that we've got an option BUT is there anyone who would prefer the front to stall South of the region to preserve current snowcover?

Or take the risk for a nice top up of fresh snow?

well its 6 inches -to a foot deep up here not including the 4 drifts ive seen around so it would take a blow torch and some seriosuly prolonged heavy rain to make an impact, so yeah ill take the chance to get another 3 inches please

Posted

Thats pretty much why then, the walla are trapping the heat, it would be interesting to sight it somewhere else to see what the results are, unless you're recording some valuable data based on the conditions and location you have it in.

There's no where at all where i can place it away from walls.

What temperature is the guy on that other forum recording?

Posted

Temperature is falling quite fast here now, -0.5C under cloud, must be snow later

A bit off topic but did you get the thunder yesterday morning Stephen ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Didnt get it, but I heard it moderately distant type!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

-2.4c at the moment , surely it can't rain/sleet at that temp

Posted

Temperature is falling quite fast here now, -0.5C under cloud, must be snow later

0.1c here!!! ITS BLOODY RISING! :yahoo::crazy::drunk:;)

ITS GONNA RAIN ;)

Posted
well its 6 inches -to a foot deep up here not including the 4 drifts ive seen around so it would take a blow torch and some seriosuly prolonged heavy rain to make an impact, so yeah ill take the chance to get another 3 inches please

Same here, you cannot tell roads from pavements and pavements from lawns and what not up here, walking through it is like walking through a dry sand dune.

Even repeated saltings haven't made an impact on it so I'd rather take the chance given that it has not been above freezing all day here.

A bit off topic but did you get the thunder yesterday morning Stephen ?

There was some lightning up here last night but no thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

-0.9c here and steady. And I still dont think it'll snow here although we did have 7cm yesterday morning.

Edited by chris93

Posted

Temperature is annoying me now... It goes down a little and i cheer out loud... It just went up and im almost crying. :winky:

Posted

Reports of snow in Birmingham amongst other locations. If that's the case its looking good for the North West tonightbiggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Just had a txt from my Dad who lives in South Birmingham (7-8 miles south west of city centre), he says it's snowing heavy there, that bodes well for us then i suspect..it's a lot colder here at the moment :winky:

Posted

Reports of snow in Birmingham amongst other locations. If that's the case its looking good for the North West tonightbiggrin.gif

So more snow for us tonight then?

I can foresee nightmares getting home from my Christmas work party tonight if thats the case

Manchester has resembled Russia the last few days, a great cold spell, but I'm getting sick of having to walk around very slowly everywhere :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-1.3c DP -3, seems to be a fair bit of cloud cover ahead oh the ppn band, that will prevent temps falling any more once the cloud rolls over.

but with wind off land from the east it should prevent a rapid warm up which has been seen with the last 2systems from the north which dragged warmer air form the irish sea, and if and when it starts snowing the temp will fall back to around 0c

Posted

Temperature is annoying me now... It goes down a little and i cheer out loud... It just went up and im almost crying. :winky:

The met office warnings for the north west also cover your area so you will probably see something even if it does fall as rain at first.

FLASH : Widespread Icy Roads

1600 Wed 23 Dec to 1000 Thu 24 Dec

Outbreaks of rain this evening will turn increasingly to sleet and snow. This could fall onto frozen roads and paths causing widespread ice.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1443 Wed 23 Dec

Taken from: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Posted

Just watched the BBC forecast, they have backed off it been sleety and rainy, and gone for a thick blanket of snow!!! Here's hoping!

**Hints at moderators for fresh thread**

Temperature holding steady here at 0.2c. I really hope it doesnt rise as the cloud approaches. Precip is 20 miles away!!!

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

dont know how the NW radar is looking but on the meteox radar the main area of precip is still going towards our east flank. The western flank of the ppn is being sponged off by the welsh mountains tongue.gif

Also looks like the meto are updating warnings as the bands are hitting certain areas to give a better summary. Rather than getting ahead of themselves .

Edited by Snowmad79