Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Snow is still hanging on in sunnyless areas and in the sun where it has been compacted.

Temp here now 4.7 deg C but has been as high as 5.2!

There should still be some on the ground when the next snow comes but I am disappointed with today's high tempsdry.gif

Well, a bit further north than you and still a lot of snow. Just been into Driffield and it's getting thinner there with some green patches.

Hit 2.6 today, I guess the snow cover keeps the temp down a bit. Car parks in Driff are non negotiable on foot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Large contrast in temperatures then in a short distance Beverley is only about 40miles away ohmy.gif . -1.6 °C here currently and its not been above freezing all day.

Been a feature of late. Very surprised by the max today: must be the effect of the N Sea on this side of the Wolds although the wind speed here has been zero all day. However, the clouds are moving slowly NW so the air is coming from that direction.

Temp has dropped back now, it is 2.4 deg C with the dew at -0.7 deg C. Let's see what the next few days bring: it certainly is interesting at the mo...

Well, a bit further north than you and still a lot of snow. Just been into Driffield and it's getting thinner there with some green patches.

Hit 2.6 today, I guess the snow cover keeps the temp down a bit. Car parks in Driff are non negotiable on foot!

My drive is exactly like that and today I have been out in my tee shirt scraping a path to the equally bad road which has a 2" layer of compacted ice on it that isn't going anywhere fast.

Am off to the panto in Brid this evening so will see the conditions around Driff for myself: I haven't ventured out so far due to the road conditions but I do have front row seats and excited kids......rolleyes.gif

Temp down to 1.9 deg C now so I guess a hard frost tonight. For info, the snow cover here is probably now about 25% but this is very patchy: some places are still completely covered and others snowless.

Posted

Been a feature of late. Very surprised by the max today: must be the effect of the N Sea on this side of the Wolds although the wind speed here has been zero all day. However, the clouds are moving slowly NW so the air is coming from that direction.

Temp has dropped back now, it is 2.4 deg C with the dew at -0.7 deg C. Let's see what the next few days bring: it certainly is interesting at the mo...

My drive is exactly like that and today I have been out in my tee shirt scraping a path to the equally bad road which has a 2" layer of compacted ice on it that isn't going anywhere fast.

Am off to the panto in Brid this evening so will see the conditions around Driff for myself: I haven't ventured out so far due to the road conditions but I do have front row seats and excited kids......rolleyes.gif

Temp down to 1.9 deg C now so I guess a hard frost tonight. For info, the snow cover here is probably now about 25% but this is very patchy: some places are still completely covered and others snowless.

What a stark contrast in temps, here in East Hull, it's currently 4.2c with a dew of 2.8c.

Lewis

Posted

What a stark contrast in temps, here in East Hull, it's currently 4.2c with a dew of 2.8c.

Lewis

The temp is dropping fast here and it's now 1c. A very nice GFS 12Z :D

Posted

It looks increasingly likely that the low pressure system will be too far south for this region to receive a large dumping of snow from it, but there will be a significant threat from convection off the north sea from a brisk easterly. Snow showers across the region for at least 5 days with the east getting the most.

Posted

Temp maxed at 1.9c here today, already -1.2c.

I can't say I'm holding out for this snow event (?), too much conflicting information by the BBC and the METO which is confusing matters.

If we have a look at what the weather websites are saying-

BBC 5 day- Light snow showers and Sleet showers

BBC UK graphic maps- Wednesday into Thursday heavy snow

BBC Video forecast- Not going past Tuesday early afternoon showing just how un-certain things are

BBC Look North- 5day view showing light snow all day Wednesday

Meto Warnings- Warnings out for heavy snow for West/South Yorkshire

Meto 3-5day Yorkshire outlook- Persistent snow on Wednesday

Meto 5day forecast (Leeds)- Persistent light snow then brief rain

Accu UK- Heavy snow building up, especially across Eastern sides of Pennines

Net weather- Snow in parts of North of England (Probably Southern parts of North of England)

GFS- Potential snow fest for Yorkshire, PPN type shown as sleet but I would expect snow

Net Weather snow risk- 22% on Wednesday

The general trend is for Snow, but we will have to wait till tomorrow night to get a better picture.

Edited by 10123

Posted

The temp is dropping fast here and it's now 1c. A very nice GFS 12Z :)

I think the temps are a little higher with some cloud cover pushing in off the N sea, there is some fairly nice showers east of here in the North Sea, what would the chance be of them pushing in later when our temps and dews drop off :D.

Regarding the GFS 12Z it's a lovely run. Cold throughout will be interesting to look at the ensembles when they come out, and then eyes down for the ECM :).

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Latest BBC video forecast shows snow fest for Yorkshire on Wednesday! drunk.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

I think the temps are a little higher with some cloud cover pushing in off the N sea, there is some fairly nice showers east of here in the North Sea, what would the chance be of them pushing in later when our temps and dews drop off :p.

Regarding the GFS 12Z it's a lovely run. Cold throughout will be interesting to look at the ensembles when they come out, and then eyes down for the ECM :).

Lewis

Hopefully the ensembles will get colder and colder in the next few days.We could get hammered by snow later in the week, with showers coming in off the north sea for days ;)

Posted

May i ask what part of Yorkshire, or do you mean leeds lol

lewis

All of Yorkshire, except right at the coast where the graphics showed rain.

Posted

All of Yorkshire, except right at the coast where the graphics showed rain.

Sounds about right! When did you see this as I cant find it anywhere?

Posted

Sounds about right! When did you see this as I cant find it anywhere?

You won'tsee it until the next forecast, it was at 4:55pm on the BBC news channel, the next forecast is at 5:25pm and 5:55pm, don't hold out for the 5:25pm forecast as the are always shorter at that time.

Posted

You won'tsee it until the next forecast, it was at 4:55pm on the BBC news channel, the next forecast is at 5:25pm and 5:55pm, don't hold out for the 5:25pm forecast as the are always shorter at that time.

Thanks, I have sky+ them both. Hope it continues to improve for our region.

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted

looking better for us, but the last forecast i saw showed the ppn for tuesday night just sliding west around midlands then into wales and southern ireland and it didn't look like it would move much north, but obviously every forecast has been very different.

Posted

looking better for us, but the last forecast i saw showed the ppn for tuesday night just sliding west around midlands then into wales and southern ireland and it didn't look like it would move much north, but obviously every forecast has been very different.

There is talk of later in the week. What I would love to know is what is happening later on in the week?

Posted

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Bitterly cold and windy on Wednesday, with persistent snow. Brighter on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, though still very cold with occasional snow showers. Lighter winds by Friday.

Updated: 1540 on Mon 28 Dec 2009

I like the sound of that!! No mention of rain/sleet even for us on low ground near the coast!!

Edit: Doesn't quite look the same when you view each individual town/city though!!

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted

There is talk of later in the week. What I would love to know is what is happening later on in the week?

Days and days well, a week + of continuous heavy snow showers and troughs off the N sea, that's what the 12z shows. So if we don't get anything tomorrow and Wednesday, i won't be disheartened as i know we could easily see more than the South throughout the cold snap.

It's a NErly then a beast from the east again :drinks:

Lewis

Posted

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Bitterly cold and windy on Wednesday, with persistent snow. Brighter on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, though still very cold with occasional snow showers. Lighter winds by Friday.

Updated: 1540 on Mon 28 Dec 2009

I like the sound of that!! No mention of rain/sleet even for us on low ground near the coast!!

I'd like it better if it had of said frequent snow showers on new years eve and new years day :drinks:

Posted

I'd like it better if it had of said frequent snow showers on new years eve and new years day :drinks:

haha, i would too mate. What's the chance of they been a big gap again were we stay dry, like that Friday night.

I hope not!

Posted

This is giving me a headache :lol: I can't remember seeing so many conflicting weather forecasts at such a short range.

Unbelievable is it not!!

I think your once again in the prime position too see lots of snow, fingers crossed you keep the current few inches you have, then you will be like the North Pole come the 10th of January lol.

Lewis

Posted

Days and days well, a week + of continuous heavy snow showers and troughs off the N sea, that's what the 12z shows. So if we don't get anything tomorrow and Wednesday, i won't be disheartened as i know we could easily see more than the South throughout the cold snap.

It's a NErly then a beast from the east again smile.gif

Lewis

Thanks Lewis, the reason I asked is that I have yet to see a weather forecast on tv/internet showing this. The bbc is dreadful temps of 5 and rain on Thursday! Really hope you are right on this one mate.