Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Is it out yet?

Posted

I'm guessing it's going for an ice age then......:)

Posted

Just been in the model discussion thread. I think I'm just going to see what happens...

Posted

Just been in the model discussion thread. I think I'm just going to see what happens...

lol this sums me up stelmer! the model could go anyways for us in york. i have been in surrey for the last few days with intermittant heavy rain and NO SNOW. though leeds castle had huge piles of slush that hadnt thawed.

as always .... waiting on the york snow-shield operators to fall asleep....

Posted

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20091228/06/138/uksnowdepth.png

LMAO, we just need the charts to the stay the same and we should get battered tue/wed biggrin.gif

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20091228/06/45/ukprec.png

Wouldnt it be nice if the heaviest precipitation was to stall right over us and not go untill it had completly snowed itself out! :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20091228/06/138/uksnowdepth.png

LMAO, we just need the charts to the stay the same and we should get battered tue/wed biggrin.gif

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20091228/06/45/ukprec.png

Wouldnt it be nice if the heaviest precipitation was to stall right over us and not go untill it had completly snowed itself out! :lol:

And to be honest, the crucial thing here is that there is no real block north of this low coming up from the south to cause it to stall 'down south'

Posted

And to be honest, the crucial thing here is that there is no real block north of this low coming up from the south to cause it to stall 'down south'

I think youve hit the nail on the head there. And hopefully with easterly winds setting in over us, that might just cause it to stall over us as its north easterly progression should turn more northerly then hopefully later wednesday south westerly.. :)

Posted

All this talk of an upcoming freeze... The last one never really ended here in North Yorkshire ?? 10 days of snow cover here @ 14m asl. -2.1 °C last time I checked @ 11am.

View out my window: post-5508-12620039602613_thumb.jpg

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just watched John Hammond on the BBC forecast and he indicated that the snow might not even get as far north as where I am, let alone any further north. This will probably go down to the last few hours before we know for certain.

Posted

All this talk of an upcoming freeze... The last one never really ended here in North Yorkshire ?? 10 days of snow cover here @ 14m asl. -2.1 °C last time I checked @ 11am.

View out my window: post-5508-12620039602613_thumb.jpg

lucky you are mate, all gone here! saying that its still icy and only 1.7c

Posted

There's one or two icy patches here clinging on to dear life :drinks:

some of the fields 2miles from here still got snow cover where the sun doesnt shine! just shows you how cold it still is! :cold:

Posted

oh well there is still thurday and fridays potential threat of snow. the way bbc is handling it with it snow graphics, it doesn't exactly look major, just blobs of snow over southern parts and being described as snow all day, yet, the graphics keep going snow then rain then sleet. john hammond mentioned snow all day for southern parts, but the graphics hardly showed that this could be accurate, at this rate snow won't reach birmingham. but this is a good ting, but snow showers cannot be ruled out tomorrow and the rest of the week looks better for us.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

There's still the odd patch of snow around here,even on the pavements which are lethal in places where the snow hasn't completely melted :drinks:

Posted

oh well there is still thurday and fridays potential threat of snow. the way bbc is handling it with it snow graphics, it doesn't exactly look major, just blobs of snow over southern parts and being described as snow all day, yet, the graphics keep going snow then rain then sleet. john hammond mentioned snow all day for southern parts, but the graphics hardly showed that this could be accurate, at this rate snow won't reach birmingham. but this is a good ting, but snow showers cannot be ruled out tomorrow and the rest of the week looks better for us.

Never trust the BBC snow graphics :drinks: ! I think Wales and West Mids are going to do well out of this with us maybe seeing some light snow or sleet :cold: Its what comes after I'm more interested in. I wonder if that nice gap will make another appearance :cold:

Posted

There's still the odd patch of snow around here,even on the pavements which are lethal in places where the snow hasn't completely melted :drinks:

Hi mate, we've still got lots of snow around here. My car, which I haven't used for a while, has still got about four inches on its roof. :cold:

I hope to hold on to this snow until the next batch arrives :cold:

Posted

Hi mate, we've still got lots of snow around here. My car, which I haven't used for a while, has still got about four inches on its roof. :cold:

I hope to hold on to this snow until the next batch arrives :cold:

Hi mate. Are you watching gillette soccer special this afternoon? Hopefully we will do really well again with this upcoming cold spell :drinks: plenty of late nights if things go to plan later in the week thats for sure :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Snow is still hanging on in sunnyless areas and in the sun where it has been compacted.

Temp here now 4.7 deg C but has been as high as 5.2!

There should still be some on the ground when the next snow comes but I am disappointed with today's high tempsdry.gif

Posted

Hi mate. Are you watching gillette soccer special this afternoon? Hopefully we will do really well again with this upcoming cold spell :drinks: plenty of late nights if things go to plan later in the week thats for sure :lol:

Not sure whether I'll have the time mate :)

Yes, winter has barely started, so I shan't be too concerned if the upcoming spell doesn't produce.

I'm actually enjoying the temps atm - it feels like winter this year, and it's great being indoors with the coal fire lit. :D

Posted

Snow is still hanging on in sunnyless areas and in the sun where it has been compacted.

Temp here now 4.7 deg C but has been as high as 5.2!

Large contrast in temperatures then in a short distance Beverley is only about 40miles away :drinks: . -1.6 °C here currently and its not been above freezing all day.

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted

There's talk of upto 50cms of flat snow (not including drifts) in some parts of central/SE upland Wales by the end of Wednesday.

BTW Ian Fergusson is their equivalent of Paul Hudson

SNOWFALL TOTALS: This might shock some other forums here (Midlands / Wales), but our new NAE run is eager to talk-up some 50cm of snow by the end of Wednesday for parts of central/SE upland Wales (and that's even without the drifting, which will be a major factor everywhere). Our best estimate for neighbouring areas such as Forest of Dean could total 20-30cm (same caveat re drifting) and more widely >10cm. Whatever the end result, a recipe for some very, very nasty conditions and some areas such as the Brecon Beacons, parts of Herefordshire etc., will be wholly impassable.

REST OF THE WEEK: Sees the frontal zone effectively stall over the same areas into Wednesday and then sink southwards and yield a moore expansive area of (perhaps disruptive) snow across much of southern England, perhaps ultimately all the way down to the south coast. Some of our modelling of the New Year's Eve events are deeply troubling, with a risk of severe weather (blizzards) into southern-central / SE England and London, which would clearly have major ramifications at a time whhen many people are either travelling or otherwise planning New Year's Eve events, etc. But that's miles away and obviously confidence is low.

If time allows, I will post on updates from the next NAE run.

Best

Ian

Posted

Just got back from Brigg garden centre and was plesantly suprised to see snow still in fields around there. There has been lots of talk on here about this weeks snow. With what I can see if looks a southern britain event. Have I missed something somewhere or will us up here be enjoying our second covering? Would love to know thanks GSL