Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

I would agree about the GFS doing well during the last cold spell! :) I to would love the UKMO to come off! The ideal would be something in between the ECM and UKMO with the ECM for the longer term. Glad to see you posting again!

Yep \:drinks:/ UKMO is a cracker and that would deliver for all of our areas, if the UKMO came off you would get a pasting as it pushes North.

And thanks, i couldn't hold myself back from posting, i'll change my style of posts so i don't get people complaining about them.

Lewis

Posted

Yep \biggrin.gif/ UKMO is a cracker and that would deliver for all of our areas, if the UKMO came off you would get a pasting as it pushes North.

And thanks, i couldn't hold myself back from posting, i'll change my style of posts so i don't get people complaining about them.

Lewis

We certainly would get a pasting :) Would certainly beat my 5cm :drinks: (Which all came from that one heavy shower, plus a little top up here and there)

Posted

Fingers crossed the GFS falls into line with the UKMO and ECM.

Lewis

I really hope so, but it's obviously a big concern especially as the ensembles have gone from looking very good a few days ago, to woeful this morning.If the gfs 12z sticks to it's guns then ive got a bad feeling the other models will backtrack this evening :drinks:

Posted

I really hope so, but it's obviously a big concern especially as the ensembles have gone from looking very good a few days ago, to woeful this morning.If the gfs 12z sticks to it's guns then ive got a bad feeling the other models will backtrack this evening :drinks:

I really hope so too mate, just checked the metoffice warnings and they updated it again at just over 11am this morning, they added a little detail now, they must be clearly seeing something we can't, and pretty certain of it;

Heavy Snow

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England and Wales during Tuesday.

Outbreaks of rain spreading slowly northwards will turn to sleet and snow with heavy falls and potential for disruption to travel possible. Accumulations of 5-10cm are possible at lower levels with a risk of 10-20cm at higher levels accompanied by strengthening easterly winds giving drifting in places. There remains uncertainty over the areas at risk which will be kept under review.

Issued at: 1109 Sun 27 Dec

Posted

they never really seem to get above sheffield. hes right. i remember three occasions in the space of a week a few years bk when the precipitation pushed north but became lighter in nature and kinda stalled over south yorkshire giving the leeds area occasional flurries

rolleyes.gif so what caused all the snowy spells in the 60s and 70s here. when drfiting was bad and and snow up to windows then. it was thse scenarios, also every system is different. Just because you recall systems only getting to sheffield doesn'tmean this always going to be the routine because somehow or someday a low to the south will pusher higher than sheffield supposedly. i just don't see how we could have got all that snow back then if it wasn't for a low to the south.

come on even if it is like that, lets hope it makes it to north yorkshire and stalls, we could have two days of long spells of snow.

We certainly would get a pasting biggrin.gif Would certainly beat my 5cm laugh.gif (Which all came from that one heavy shower, plus a little top up here and there)

met office is saying 10 to 20cm, but these scenarios can cause over a foot or more plus you have drifting. i take it they are trying to be safe first, rather than over predicting amounts? certainly if it comes off we should acheive more snow than last week.

Edited by snowlover2009

rolleyes.gif so what caused all the snowy spells in the 60s and 70s here. when drfiting was bad and and snow up to windows then. it was thse scenarios, also every system is different. Just because you recall systems only getting to sheffield doesn'tmean this always going to be the routine because somehow or someday a low to the south will pusher higher than sheffield supposedly. i just don't see how we could have got all that snow back then if it wasn't for a low to the south.

come on even if it is like that, lets hope it makes it to north yorkshire and stalls, we could have two days of long spells of snow.

met office is saying 10 to 20cm, but these scenarios can cause over a foot or more plus you have drifting. i take it they are trying to be safe first, rather than over predicting amounts? certainly if it comes off we should acheive more snow than last week.

lets hope it makes it to north yorkshire n stalls!!

Posted

Highest i have ever seen is about 10cm for where i live so in the event that the UKMO did come off i may beat that! If the ECM came off i would see nothing more than a flurry while the GFS would give me a nice bout of rain laugh.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Highest i have ever seen is about 10cm for where i live so in the event that the UKMO did come off i may beat that! If the ECM came off i would see nothing more than a flurry while the GFS would give me a nice bout of rain laugh.gif

only 10cm! shok.gif also ecm would deliver for here too. but i like ukmo

lets hope it makes it to north yorkshire n stalls!!

yes then let the system fall back south and give us a double of what we already have on the ground.shok.gif

Posted

only 10cm! shok.gif also ecm would deliver for here too. but i like ukmo

I have only been measuring for the past four years plus I'm only 17, but I'm sure i have probably seen a more than that at times :whistling: The ECM doesn't have the main band of precipitation reaching us. you can use the precipitation charts below.

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#type=prec

Posted

I have only been measuring for the past four years plus I'm only 17, but I'm sure i have probably seen a more than that at times laugh.gif The ECM doesn't have the main band of precipitation reaching us. you can use the precipitation charts below.

http://en.vedur.is/w...ntic/#type=prec

only just scanned that, it doesn't have much for midlands really though. UKMO i really do like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I really should dig out the pictures from 1991 and 1995. Both events took our guttering down when all the snow came off the roof.

Then there's the icicles. Long, pointed and they were swaying with the wind.

We had to look up at the roof everytime we went in or out of the house and never stand at the door as it could end up with nasty results.

The best trick was to twang tree branches as you passed them. Your friends would be covered in snow :whistling:

I also tripped over a mound of snow and disappeared behind it, in 1991. Was so funny at the time.

Good times, good memories. I hope it happens again as so many kids would love it immensely.

Posted

just come back from seeing my dead grandma from the funeral home :whistling: and g/f broke up with me yesturday so i bloody do hope ukmo comes off because it would deffo cheer me up!

Posted

how do you get very long icicles to develop. what needs to happen? in the recent cold spell, we had icicles but they were nothing spectacular to pictures i have seen in the past in this country.

I believe it's from snow thawing on roofs without decent insulation and the resulting run off freezes .

This process repeats itself on and on. You will also see icicles constantly drip. This is how they grow I think.

just come back from seeing my dead grandma from the funeral home :clap: and g/f broke up with me yesterday so i bloody do hope ukmo comes off because it would deffo cheer me up!

Awwww, condolences and sympathies. Sorry to hear it.

Posted

I believe it's from snow thawing on roofs without decent insulation and the resulting run off freezes .

This process repeats itself on and on. You will also see icicles constantly drip. This is how they grow I think.

Awwww, condolences and sympathies. Sorry to hear it.

cheers mate, funeral is on tuesday like, what you think to the charts at the moment? havnt had a good look yet.

Posted

cheers mate, funeral is on tuesday like, what you think to the charts at the moment? havnt had a good look yet.

I'm not sure on the charts myself. They still look like an abstract painting to me :clap:

Posted

I'm not sure on the charts myself. They still look like an abstract painting to me :clap:

lol that is a clever way of expressing the charts haha!

Posted

Sorry to here about your Grandma :clap: We look to be northern extent of any precipitation, generally. Longer term and the ECM looks the most interesting. GFS not so.

Here was the snow from my White Christmas :clap:

post-6181-12619233636213_thumb.jpg

post-6181-12619233914913_thumb.jpg

post-6181-12619234196913_thumb.jpg

post-6181-12619234469713_thumb.jpg

just come back from seeing my dead grandma from the funeral home sad.gif and g/f broke up with me yesturday so i bloody do hope ukmo comes off because it would deffo cheer me up!

aw mate sorry to hear tht, why did she? my gf lives in donny in norton. I knw i hope the ukmo happens plz plz plz

Posted

hey peeps whats up??too much turkey lol. ukmom,gem stunning! gfs okay for yorkshire northwards in short term and stunning thereafter!!

A very important ECM coming up tonight.If the ECM is great, then i expect the GFS to produce a big upgrade in the medium term within the next few runs.I just hope the ECM is a cracker this evening :yahoo:

Posted

Max of 3.4c today which shows the mild (?) blip is over.

On the discussion of low pressures bumping up from the south, in the modern er@ the low pressure systems usually loose all there intensity over the Midlands, usually the lows track north but no further north than North Yorkshire. By the time it hits Yorkshire it is very patchy and light with the odd moderate burst, the low pressure stalls over Yorkshire but doesn't really deliver. An example of this is last Feb, an area of low pressure crossed England and stalled over Yorkshire, by then it was light and patchy but still delivered 3-4cm of snow, pale in comparison to the 20cm in the midlands.

Whether this situation is any different i do not know, the METO warnings don't usually take into account the Pennines etc which usually suck out most of the energy.

Edited by 10123