Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Difference to now and then is, is that we are all in a more favorable setup now, especially areas east of the penines because the other night we was dragging in modification off the N sea, and the warm sector SE of us nackard it up.

We have favorable 850's then say Leeds area and westwards, there's no decent thickness so cooler 850's can make up for that.

Lewis

I think youve made good points againts it snowing.

As shown on Thursday morning even during very marginal conditions we saw snow, In Leeds center where it is flat and low down (30m) with heat from the tall building Leeds still saw snow, and those conditions were even on the wrong side of marginal and snow stuck (5cm of fresh snow) and the snow is still there today. So maybe some surprises in store.

Posted

Temps tomorrow may get upto 7-8c in the South, with temps around 4-5c in the North (Scotland holding onto the coldest air) before we bring in some colder pools from the North into Sunday.

Regarding tonight, if we get a top up of snow brilliant, if we don't and it gets washed away, come tuesday/wednesday next week we will have another fresh covering and will be having a good 5-7 days continuously on these threads again :)

Next week we could be talkin about feet and not inches :p

Lewis

Is reef about? or is he having his Christmas lunch seconds :)

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

cheers mate, best xmas ever if it does happen then next weeks blizzards! its like were in a bloody dream!

it bloody is. WTH is happening lol. I have a sneeky feeling that by sunday, the best of my snow will thaw, but two days later we may have a 1ft plus and drifts of snow. really weird. still a way to go, but a great trend.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

This approaching precipitation is either guna double my snow depth or obbliterate it! please dont be the latter lol.

got around 3/4 inches in my garden by the way :)

Edit temperature risen to -0.6C :):p:)

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

I think youve made good points againts it snowing.

As shown on Thursday morning even during very marginal conditions we saw snow, In Leeds center where it is flat and low down (30m) with heat from the tall building Leeds still saw snow, and those conditions were even on the wrong side of marginal and snow stuck (5cm of fresh snow) and the snow is still there today. So maybe some surprises in store.

i hope because otherwise there will be a few sad faces to end christmas day!! plz plz plz. bbc n met say yes but gfs say no!! AND WE DNT WANT FREEZING RAIN

Posted

Temps tomorrow may get upto 7-8c in the South, with temps around 4-5c in the North (Scotland holding onto the coldest air) before we bring in some colder pools from the North into Sunday.

Regarding tonight, if we get a top up of snow brilliant, if we don't and it gets washed away, come tuesday/wednesday next week we will have another fresh covering and will be having a good 5-7 days continuously on these threads again tease.gif

Next week we could be talkin about feet and not inches tongue.gif

Lewis

Is reef about? or is he having his Christmas lunch seconds tongue.gif

What is interesting is that the BBC don't like the idea of milder conditions reaching northern england, looking at the 5day forecast for LBA temps don't get above 3.c http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2535 and even for Leeds center temps don't rise above 4.c http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/18

Posted

heavy rain in oldham just west od Huddersfield.

Whats your current temp and dew?

Lewis

What is interesting is that the BBC don't like the idea of milder conditions reaching northern england, looking at the 5day forecast for LBA temps don't get above 3.c http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2535 and even for Leeds center temps don't rise above 4.c http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/18

Word of advice :p

Don't take notice of BBC'S and Metoffice's 5 days :)

Posted

Whats your current temp and dew?

Lewis

Word of advice tongue.gif

Don't take notice of BBC'S and Metoffice's 5 days tongue.gif

Don't worry lol I know, but it's nice to see, temp wise they aren't far off but the weather type is nearly always wrong.

oh shiza well this will take the peanuts if its rain when we've got sucha deep covering!! sure will spoil everything because thias snow wud atke a while to thaw!! wht a waste!!i wud rather i completely miss us!! its so typical tht it wud fall as rain when its been bitterly cold today and sub zero now!! doesnt seem fair

Bad news, raining here. Difficult to tell whether theere is any sleetiness to the rain, but it definitely aint snow! :p

So if the temps drop we could have atrocious travel conditions by the early morning.

On the other hand it could turn to snow perhaps?

Posted

O dear my temperatures risen 0.5C in the last 15 minutes, this could be a disaster to my preciouse snow cover lol

I really do think your thermometer is wrong, it's -1.2c and slowly rising.

Posted

no idea but it started as sleet and soon turned to rain.

Ah well theres always next week to look forward to but my lovely thick snowcover is getting pummelled.

:p

This could be why....

850 warm sector;

post-2644-12617696737313_thumb.png

Posted

Bad news, raining here. Difficult to tell whether theere is any sleetiness to the rain, but it definitely aint snow! :p

So if the temps drop we could have atrocious travel conditions by the early morning.

On the other hand it could turn to snow perhaps?

Again all these reports of rain falling are to the S and W of the region where the warmer sector is taking hold, for areas east the precipitation band is ahead of the milder 850's. Hence why i think we will be getting reports shortly of areas further East seeing snow.

Personally i think I'll be seeing rain and sleet.

But who knows.

Lewis

Posted

This approaching precipitation is either guna double my snow depth or obbliterate it! please dont be the latter lol.

got around 3/4 inches in my garden by the way biggrin.gif

Edit temperature risen to -0.6C ohmy.gifshok.gifohmy.gif

Knifes edge type situation, if it does fall as rain it will comfort us to know the pennines will have killed all the heaviness and we will be left with the remains.

Posted

Knifes edge type situation, if it does fall as rain it will comfort us to know the pennines will have killed all the heaviness and we will be left with the remains.

Even if your temp is 1 or 2c, as long as the dew is at freezing or below your fine, so don't worry about a temp rise, it's only natural when a band is approaching.

Lewis

Posted

This is scary lol, it will be here any minute.

Posted

Well my temps -0.1C with -3hpa uppers at 7pm

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-1-6.png?12

By 1am its -1hpa

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-1-12.png?12

Under heavy precipitation it is juuuust about supportive for evaporative cooling to allow snow. who know we may get lucky, but i doubt it...

This is scary lol, it will be here any minute.

yes but even more scary is that my temperature has rose 1C in the last 20 minutes, this could be bye bye snow cover.

Posted

Its raining !

Edit: Jokes, hasn't hit here yet

Edited by 10123

Posted

IT'S SNOWING !

Edit: were under very light PPN which is good to see

Edited by 10123

Its raining !

unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! northern areas keep there cover n ours washed away!! wht a waste!! wont see much next week and this snow wud hav lasted into next week with the temps predicted typical!! jst for it to be icy afterwards!!

Edit: Jokes, hasn't hit here yet