Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

well morning all. hope all had a good christmas n not rushing for the sales.sunshine and a fairly rapid thaw taking place here in shadwell/alwoodley after a rainy night. Temps look like being much higher than predicted sadly so doubt any snow will survive into next week like i originally had thought. suppose i shud knw by now lol tht the forecasts never seem to be accurate in this day n age.

P.s. Snowlover n those adamant on snow next week-looks like i was spot on. Very diminishing chance of snow n freezing conditions now as like i said it was still 5days plus away and was always gona change as it was too good to be true. Shouldnt speak too soon ey :)

Posted

well morning all. hope all had a good christmas n not rushing for the sales.sunshine and a fairly rapid thaw taking place here in shadwell/alwoodley after a rainy night. Temps look like being much higher than predicted sadly so doubt any snow will survive into next week like i originally had thought. suppose i shud knw by now lol tht the forecasts never seem to be accurate in this day n age.

P.s. Snowlover n those adamant on snow next week-looks like i was spot on. Very diminishing chance of snow n freezing conditions now as like i said it was still 5days plus away and was always gona change as it was too good to be true. Shouldnt speak too soon ey smile.gif

The Greenland high and the height rises are nailed, we are also going to turn colder. Its how long is it going to last. We need that low to track as far south and east as possible to then drag the colder air down from the North/North East. Snowlover and those could still be spot on. Changes will happen over the next few days. I would agree that the models are trending away from prolonged cold this morning however that doesn't mean there right.

All my current snow has just about melted. A nice few green days before the snow returns again. Probably in the form of showers. But for how long will it last...

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Don't want to go to much off topic but the GEM shows what would be great for us, its better than the other models in the long term smile.gif

http://www.meteociel...geme_cartes.php

Temp is the highest its been for a week now with it being at 5.2c! Still not that mild compared to the average though, but certainly mild to what i have been used to this past week laugh.gif

i know 5c MILD lol. usually in cold spells its a few days of cold then mild with temps of 9c !

I agree gem works for us greatly.

the problem i see is tht yes the greenland high is in place etc -its just a shame tht in this day n age with technology we still cant accurately predict the weather! Without agreeing with him wht snowlover sed about next week would have been incredible if it had only come off like the models had projected it to but sadly as is always the case the models just seem to downgrade any wintry event for us and bring us bk to more stable drab weather. Yes this cold spell has been good but it really hasnt been anything special like previous decades gone by which is such a shame!! but maybe we expect too much? all tht most on here would be happy with is a week of bitterly cold temps, blizzards, heavy snow and clear blue sky days. And all we ask is just 1week out of a year. Not a problem when its mild hey. I mean one thing tht frustrates me is tht places such as newyrk are about to get pasted again! its not so complex for them like it is for us is it!!

Temps way higher than predicted. look north/charts had max 3/4c today -way out. i would have thought with still a bit of snow cover temps would still be lower but seems not. Bet the pennines are still stuck in deep deep snow??

Posted

Temps way higher than predicted. look north/charts had max 3/4c today -way out. i would have thought with still a bit of snow cover temps would still be lower but seems not. Bet the pennines are still stuck in deep deep snow??

The rain last night melted quite a bit of snow last night, with the snow half melted and now patchy the sun is finding it easier to melt it. The GFS had temps of around 4c to 5c today so its not much milder than predicted. I think the pennines saw some snow last night before it turned a little sleety? I would imagine only a small thaw at most is likely before the next bout of cold air arrives

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Bet the pennines are still stuck in deep deep snow??

Not here they aren't.

The thaw is coming in full force. Still snow on roof tops, but that will probably be gone by the days end. At ground level its now compressed and only about 10-15 cm's deep, would take a week to shift it though at these temps, barring heavy rain. So we should still have a inch or two of snow left when the cold resumes.

Posted

Hi all,

Well all the snow has gone now after returning from Leicester, Not much on the sides of the road.

Anyone know how its looking for next week

Chris

Not here they aren't.

The thaw is coming in full force. Still snow on roof tops, but that will probably be gone by the days end. At ground level its now compressed and only about 10-15 cm's deep, would take a week to shift it though at these temps, barring heavy rain. So we should still have a inch or two of snow left when the cold resumes.

Posted

It should start to feel cooler/colder from tomorrow evening onwards, currently the 850hPa temps rise to -1 today and drop away tomorrow to below -5 for the foreseable future.

post-5042-12618350074913_thumb.png

After the low exits the east of the UK Mon night, it does look like a strong N/easterly setting up late Tues, how far North the precip get is still uncertain, could well be a nowcast situation.

Edited by Cal

Posted

It should start to feel cooler/colder from tomorrow evening onwards, currently the 850hPa temps rise to -1 today and drop away tomorrow to below -5 for the foreseable future.

post-5042-12618350074913_thumb.png

After the low exits the east of the UK Mon night, it does look like a strong N/easterly setting up late Tues, how far North the precip get is still uncertain, could well be a nowcast situation.

i wouldnt worry about that cal because the NE winds will drive so many showers into our area!!!!

Posted

i wouldnt worry about that cal because the NE winds will drive so many showers into our area!!!!

Hopefully.Im not fussed about any ppn from the low, as the temps in lincs would only bring cold rain anyway.It's all about what happens afterwards :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Hi all hope we had a good Christmas! Anyway, yes a bit of a thaw over the past 12 hours or so but still a good cover of snow, I'd say 4-5cm here which is only a couple less than we had Thursday morning so no melt-a-thon by any means! I'm hoping the atmosphere on here today is gonna be a bit more amiable as there seemed to be a bit of in-fighting yesterday lol! I'm no expert but I still expect some good snows this coming week, and look forward to hearing what you more knowledgable guys and girls on here think of it all. In the meantime, the met office 3-5 and 5-16 day outlooks seem pretty good to me! Have a good boxing day all, and fingers crossed for a beast this week!

bb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

There's still plenty of ice and snow here.

Greenhouse roof:

26122010.jpg

Facing up the back street:

26122011.jpg

Facing down the back street:

26122012.jpg

Edited by Stelmer

very supried really. a good amount of snow left right now. a good few inches in some places alwoodley-north leeds. clear skies so if we can get the temps to drop then some of this snow cover could well make it into the next cold spell. touch n go.

Posted

Well, new security light is up at the garage (old one filled with water), bike has been turned over, battery removed now and i'm all sorted.

Next cold spell here we come!!!

Posted

I dont understand weather charts but noticed on a few posts that people say 18" of snow in parts. I cant beleave this

Chris

Posted

I dont understand weather charts but noticed on a few posts that people say 18" of snow in parts. I cant beleave this

Chris

That is near 50 cm i think? To be expected looking at some of the charts. We could be in for some luck with next weeks low, the rest of the week, looks are definite best for the whole of the region to get some heavy snow showrs.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

I'm not saying anything about next week till i've seen Countryfile's forecast.

Been in the model thread and it gave me a headache :p Best not think too much about snow next week till Monday morning, at the earliest.

I'm still impressed that we've had the longest amount of days with lying snow since 1991. Would be nice to beat the depth too.

Posted

I will beleave it when i see it LOL

Chris

That is near 50 cm i think? To be expected looking at some of the charts. We could be in for some luck with next weeks low, the rest of the week, looks are definite best for the whole of the region to get some heavy snow showrs.

Posted

I'm not saying anything about next week till i've seen Countryfile's forecast.

Been in the model thread and it gave me a headache laugh.gif Best not think too much about snow next week till Monday morning, at the earliest.

I'm still impressed that we've had the longest amount of days with lying snow since 1991. Would be nice to beat the depth too.

You must have had longer than that, last year we had 2 weeks in December, and 2 weeks in Feb.

Posted

2 weeks here in Feb this year we had, was a good covering as well and its the first time i have seen snow on Christmas day to

Chris