Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 8

Methuselah

Posted

Overnight low of -5.1C and currently -2.9C - Sunny with crystal clear blue sky.

Snow is set like concrete and won't be going anywhere soon!

Roads are deadly in our area with people from further up the street stealing our grit salt. Not only are they taking it but they've left us with none so what little chance we had of driving out will be soon gone. How selfish is that :)

Thankfully I got some grit salt down on the road before it was all gone.

Unless the council fill up the salt bins there will be a riot for grit salt at this rate :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

We went out to the car, couldn't get the car doors open to begin with! Our drive and road to our garden is sheet ice/snow. Decided it was soo cold and slippy that perhaps our trip to town on the train should be put off today.

I think looking at the projections with more snow/colder weather forecast we might not be making that trip for a bit yet!

Posted

That's what I was thinking / hoping for. It certainly only moving in an eastwards direction at the moment.

There's a good 2/3" worth in there too!

Snow now moving south - I predict snow for parts of Moray and NE Scotland later this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I wonder what that comma cloud is going to do?

Snow now moving south - I predict snow for parts of Moray and NE Scotland later this afternoon.

Hopefully, you've answered my question - before I even asked it!! :help::)

I wonder what that comma cloud is going to do?

It is just sitting there between the Faroe Islands , Scotland. I need to get out more....

Shower over Arran has is fizzling out before reaching here. A one island snow maker :help:

Posted

I am just back from a wee trip to the shops with the bairn in the buggy. What a nightmare that was. Can't walk on the pavement as the snow is still thick and rock solid, and the roads are too. Just as well he has suspension in his buggy cause i have not seen it bounce so much before. I say it was a nightmare but really it wasn't, quite enjoyed it, how sad is that :help:

Posted

It is just sitting there between the Faroe Islands , Scotland. I need to get out more....

Shower over Arran has is fizzling out before reaching here. A one island snow maker :lol:

No more sad than that I can see its leading-edge from here; and, that I have been watching it (do absolutely nothing!) for the past three hours! :):):rofl::cray:

I am just back from a wee trip to the shops with the bairn in the buggy. What a nightmare that was. Can't walk on the pavement as the snow is still thick and rock solid, and the roads are too. Just as well he has suspension in his buggy cause i have not seen it bounce so much before. I say it was a nightmare but really it wasn't, quite enjoyed it, how sad is that :lol:

Those were the days! Pushing the MacLaren through snowdrifts... :help:

Those were the days! Pushing the MacLaren through snowdrifts... :closedeyes:

Thankfully we saw sense when buying a pram and bought a big chunky three-wheeler effort as well as a McLaren. The wee McLaren buggies are a nightmare with the tiny, solid wheels. No chance of amputated fingers in this house as the McLaren is going nowhere.

Having said that we have almost too much snow for even the three wheeler, certainly away from the centre of the village it is getting too rough.

Getting quite warm now today, temperature is up to -3.4C locally. Perhaps a frost again tonight? Is it just me or is today's weather really boring?? :angry: Getting greedy now.

Posted

Temp risen to -5.2c here.

Places such as Aviemore / Strathallan reporting -12 / -11. If those temps don't increase too much there, I can see -20c being recorded soon enough :closedeyes:

Edited by Mondy

Posted

Temp risen to -5.2c here.

Places such as Aviemore / Strathallan reporting -12 / -11. If those temps don't increase too much there, I can -20c being recorded soon enough :angry:

Unless of course, that comma cloud has our names on it! :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just been talking to MrsCatch about her brother's family and they have frozen pipes/burst pipes. So I think we will hear more and more of this over the coming days. Reminds me of 95 when there were widespread problems with this happening.

Leave your heating on peeps. A few quid on the gas or electric now will save hundreds or thousands later.....

I am watching radar at the moment and there is a snow shower just about clearing Arran, heading straight for me. Surely not?? :closedeyes:

Yes 1995 was bad for that. My parents house in Aberfeldy flooded when a lagged pipe in the attic burst while they were up in Aviemore visiting relatives for New Year. They had left the heating on but perhaps a bit too low to help the attic.

Meanwhile here temps up to -4.6C and it has clouded over. Inland much colder, Strahallan showing -9.6 and Aviemore etc colder still.

Posted

Unless of course, that comma cloud has our names on it! :angry:

Just been looking at that. The ppn has shifted from north to south to west to east :closedeyes: Seems to be dumping in the North Sea http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ so that -20c is on the cards. After 4pm today, be interesting to see how the temps fall. I think most of us won't get above 0c today

Posted

The NAE (recent find from braving the Model thread) chart appears to agree with you Zero :closedeyes:

post-4683-12620040703413_thumb.gif

Posted

Thankfully we saw sense when buying a pram and bought a big chunky three-wheeler effort as well as a McLaren. The wee McLaren buggies are a nightmare with the tiny, solid wheels. No chance of amputated fingers in this house as the McLaren is going nowhere.

Having said that we have almost too much snow for even the three wheeler, certainly away from the centre of the village it is getting too rough.

Getting quite warm now today, temperature is up to -3.4C locally. Perhaps a frost again tonight? Is it just me or is today's weather really boring?? laugh.gif Getting greedy now.

Its a 3 wheeler i have lol, still was very difficult lol

Posted

The NAE (recent find from braving the Model thread) chart appears to agree with you Zero :closedeyes:

It just seems to be going more SE rather than S though and its progress it painfully slow.

If this is the case only places like Peterhead and Cruden Bay will catch the snow. May not even fall as snow on the Moray coast - it's amazing how mild placeslike Rosehearty remain in cold weather - it must be a nightmare for snow lovers there!

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted

Just been looking at that. The ppn has shifted from north to south to west to east :closedeyes: Seems to be dumping in the North Sea http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ so that -20c is on the cards. After 4pm today, be interesting to see how the temps fall. I think most of us won't get above 0c today

the West->East movement seems to have stalled a little Mondy? it was clearly going that way earlier, which is why I though it might just shiff over the far North but the Sat pic appears to be showing a slight halt.. I still don't think it'll get too far south though - what do you think?

Its a 3 wheeler i have lol, still was very difficult lol

You must have considerably more snow than we do here then. I wonder if the Swedish equivalent of Mothercare do prams with interchangable wheels/skis....

I will know better when I visit my parents later as they are more on the edge of the village than me.

Posted

It just seems to be going more SE rather than S though and its progress it painfully slow.

If this is the case only places like Peterhead and Cruden Bay will catch the snow. May not even fall as snow on the Moray coast - it's amazing how mild placeslike Rosehearty remain in cold weather - it must be a nightmare for snow lovers there!

Yea very touch and go further S and inland, Aberdeen might just catch a bit, Agreed the Rosehearty temps always seem way out of kilter with the rest though one of our staff comes from up there, just west a little and they have a lot of snowy days recently, so it must be very marginal just on that far tip!

Posted

There's a definite bank of cloud approaching from the NNW. Probably nothing to get too excited about; but, you never know?? :closedeyes:

Posted

I see there is a NW alert gone out which covers among other things Icy roads. But, they omitted us for icy roads. :closedeyes: I'm happy to take a few snaps of real icy roads though if they want to update their alert! :cold:

Edited by Mondy

Posted

I see there is a NW alert gone out which covers among other things Icy roads. But, they omitted us for icy roads. :closedeyes: I'm happy to take a few snaps of real icy roads though if they want to update their alert! :cold:

LOL! me too, OH has just decided to walk to the village as he can't be bothered sanding and gritting yet again!