Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 8

Methuselah

1.5c here. A thaw is on, but not really losing much snow. Plenty more to come as we take the south's forecasted snowfall :)

The best part is that if the south's snowfall doesn't make it up here then we stay in the cold air anyway, and will probably get smacked by snow from somewhere as has been happening all week or ten days or however long this has lasted....

Posted

The best part is that if the south's snowfall doesn't make it up here then we stay in the cold air anyway, and will probably get smacked by snow from somewhere as has been happening all week or ten days or however long this has lasted....

A polar low.. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Easterly showers Tuesday onwards look in the bag, regardless of the frontal snow. If the low holds a bit further north then we'll end up with a stronger easterly flow with heavy showers penetrating very far west combined with the frontal snow for southern scotland pushing north.

Posted

Well, rain hit the ground and froze - and I landed a**e first on the doorstep while taking a bin out to empty - *sore*. This frozen rain has been a killer this last week. Plus I have my parents coming to stay today and the heating has gone kaput!

Just a typical day in Aberdeen this winter...

Small bergs are floating down the Dee on the way out to sea today. Been a while since I've seen that.

Oh, for the peron who mantioned the state of the pavements in Aberdeen - no they've not been cleared once since the first fall. They think chucking a bit of salt (if you're lucky) on them is good enough. It's all just compacted ice now after the freeze/thaw of the pre-xmas days followed by 2 days of solid freeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A 'polar low'... that should get the ears pricking! Come back xmas '95 eh?

And sympathy for LP in Aberdeen: hope you can find someone to rub it better for you!

Posted

Well, rain hit the ground and froze - and I landed a**e first on the doorstep while taking a bin out to empty - *sore*. This frozen rain has been a killer this last week. Plus I have my parents coming to stay today and the heating has gone kaput!

Just a typical day in Aberdeen this winter...

Small bergs are floating down the Dee on the way out to sea today. Been a while since I've seen that.

Oh, for the peron who mantioned the state of the pavements in Aberdeen - no they've not been cleared once since the first fall. They think chucking a bit of salt (if you're lucky) on them is good enough. It's all just compacted ice now after the freeze/thaw of the pre-xmas days followed by 2 days of solid freeze.

Ouch!

heard a rumour that Aberdeenshire roads/pavements are clearer than Aberdeens because Aberdeen've run out of salt/grit, weren't holding big enogh stores being as how it's not "normally" required at the coast, having drive through to and from Johnshaven I can confirm the are fairly awful in comparison to ours :(

Ice in the Dee eh, nice, you'll have lots of sightseers stopping on the Bridge today then

WE've now a couple of showers of cold/sleety rain, temp about 2C now 12 miles up the road in Alford they're reporting more snow/sleet than rain/sleet

anyhow off to the Panto today, 12 of us and only 4 kids in amongst that - (well kids under 4ft that is :lol:)

Have Fun ya'll!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nice Tundra, Monds...Temp dropping here too. Tentative signs of freezing-fog formation, -2C...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Perth, an Arctic Waste!:acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

I can't open these pics, but I'm sure it is beautiful :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure how to upload pics really.:acute:

Posted

We had snow and sleet last night and then the same again this morning although mostly snow until the last 10 minutes, so hopefully the sky clears and cools as we have lost a couple of inches this weekend but still around 4" inch on the ground and there has now been snow cover for 11 days here cool.gif and i expect it to still be here when the cold spell returns.

They are aweome pictures from aberfeldy ohmy.gif

Posted

The 12 noon weather was a good one by the EBC!!!!!!!!!!

Missed it........what were they saying??

And suddenly the snow in tomorrow's has vanished from the EBC forecastcc_confused.gifcc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Hi folks, haven't been around much as I have visitors from Kent over Christmas who, incidentally, are enjoying every moment of our weather! Popped into the model disc. thread last night which was better than a good book! :whistling: They are really getting themselves into a state aren't they? The thing is, I can understand their feelings as we in the east central belt went through exactly the same emotions last year. I can remember when the south west had 18" and we had zilch! I think they have to remember tho' that it is only December and actually their forecast towards Thursday, Friday is quite good. I also think that this winter is going to be a lot different - it already is - and that everyone at some stage is going to get their share. I was surprised that we gained another 3" overnight, which is thawing now but even if we lost that, we are still quids in. I can't remember enjoying the onset of winter so much as the last couple of weeks.

Posted

Tropical today, Max. Temp. 3.4C. :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Looks like this will be our warmest day of the last 11... Generally 2c, 3c and more elsewhere from the central belt south and up the sea-level east coast.

Surprsing how much snow is still in the back gardens now I'm back at Leith. I overlook a bowling green and thats still entirely white and even, although its flattened down to a pancake of an inch or two after the 6 inches here of 5 days ago ... cold ground has done its job I guess despite 3 days of snizzle and often rain. If we can get past tonight - and manage a decent frost - then looks like we could have a basic continuity of snow cover going into the next cold spell even here in balmy Leith. :clap:

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Very much a back of the envelope calculation, but impressive:

ERT (Edinburgh Recorded Temp) for December is running at 3.19ºC

And the ERT since the cold spell started on 18 December (11 days ago) is at -2.54ºC

Nice :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Temps dropping here and the snow is becoming crunchy. Going to be very icy tonight after the partial thaw. My street has ice covered by a layer of slush which is just beginning to freeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

cloudy with sleet and wet snow on and of all day with a slight thaw max temp was 1.7c snow is solid slabs of ice 5inch thich on the pavements and side roads if it freezes tonight which is forecast to do its going to to a ice rinkaggressive.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Amazing how hard it is to shift that stuff. Took me 20 minutes of serious hacking and gouging this afternoon just to clear the immediate area around our tenament entrance, absolutey welded to the pavement... Like the stuff you can never shift when you're defrosting the freezer... The walk from here to the co-op requires crampons and pitons and if you're an OAP in your 70's or 80's then I'd think it's close to impossible. If there aren't by-laws about tenament owners clearing their own immediate area, then there bloody well should be.

A&E must have had a busy few days and looks like its going to get even worse.

cloudy with sleet and wet snow on and of all day with a slight thaw max temp was 1.7c snow is solid slabs of ice 5inch thich on the pavements and side roads if it freezes tonight which is forecast to do its going to to a ice rinkaggressive.gif