Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 8

Methuselah

Posted

Still heavy snow here - reckon we have at least 8 inches on the grass, with a fresh 4 inches on roads - good to here perth's joined in the fun. Giant flakes here now, accumulating very quickly now.

LS

Beeb and MO atre going for another "significant" snow event tomorrow crossing from the west. Any toughts on this?

Unfortunatley we have now turned to rain, but good to hear some areas got a good fall last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It appears this snow isn't likely to stop anytime soon - take a look at the band of snow/sleet out to our east moving back west!!

Just hope it stays as snow, 0.8C here with a dew point which is above freezing! It started as snow, and stayed as snow so far, so unless it becomes very light, I reckon it will stay as snow here and into perthshire.

LS

Posted

Thats Scotlands 'mild' spell almost at an end. Our mild spell consisted of daytime maximums of -4c and night time minimums of -10c to -14c in many northern mainland areas and even central and southern areas stuggled to get above freezing in the last couple of days.

I noticed the milder air was slowly pushing north last night and there were marginal snowfall situations in many parts. I was driving up from Prestwick and there was some really heavy rain over Fenwick but when I got back to Bishopbriggs this had turned to heavy snow although it was always on the edge of turning back to rain. I hear that Perth has had some really heavy snow overnight.

There is a lot of model uncertainty over the next few days but what seems clear is that colder air will begin to extent further south over the next 24-48 hours. With cold upper air and still cold surface cold this should keep any marginal snowfall situations in Scotland on the right side for snow.

Whats also clear is that there is going to be a bit of a battle over the next 3-4 days between milder fronts pushing up from the south west and the cold air thats extending down from the north. Its looking at the moment like Northern England, Wales and parts of Ireland may see some heavy snow during this battle but I wouldnt be surprised to see Southern Scotland and especially the Border areas get some snow from this situation.

Its going to be interesting to see how things work out over the next week or so but its looking likely that the cold weather will continue and probably deepen in Scotland.

I think this winter will be looked back on as a classic.

Posted

From -9 to +1/+1 in about 5hrs!!! cc_confused.gif And RAIN, not snow for us. dry.gif

Bit frustrating.

I thjink we both have the same problem The wind has now swung round and coming off the sea plus "mild" uppers. Your -9 was a surface temp, very low because yesterday the wind was west (no warming effect from the sea) and snow covered mainland Scotland is very cold. Thing look set to improve in a couple of days!! Also remember that we are presntly in a "mild" spell

I dont know what fell here last night but we have a couple of cms of solid ice/snow on the roads and the cars!!cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Just turned to rain now here. Thankfully, that band of PPN looks like moving south, so hopefully it'll stop pretty soon!

LS

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

pretty dark skies here atm. with light snow

Posted

I thjink we both have the same problem The wind has now swung round and coming off the sea plus "mild" uppers. Your -9 was a surface temp, very low because yesterday the wind was west (no warming effect from the sea) and snow covered mainland Scotland is very cold. Thing look set to improve in a couple of days!! Also remember that we are presntly in a "mild" spell

I dont know what fell here last night but we have a couple of cms of solid ice/snow on the roads and the cars!!cc_confused.gif

Started off as a mixture of just about everything, then heavy snow and now - I think - it's raining. If it would just turn dry we'd be OK for keeping our snow cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Lightish snow showers floating around around here...Frozen solid!! :(

Posted

Started off as a mixture of just about everything, then heavy snow and now - I think - it's raining. If it would just turn dry we'd be OK for keeping our snow cover.

Hasn't really effected the snow cover, guess its so solid from yesterday. MO/ Beeb forecast looks good for tomorrow.crazy.gif

Posted

Just gonna post this on the model thread for those starved of snow or don't realise a cold spell is still occuring :lol:

You still winding up the southerners??? Will post some later, just bgoing to help dig the car across the road out, they tried to go out and got 5 meters!!! :whistling:

Posted

WOW you guys in the central area have had mega fun overnight :lol: Hope it stays as snow or at least light snizzle so it doesn't thaw too much!

It was Xmas eve when this happened up here and on Christmas day we spent three hours clearing the road of 5mm thick black ice so we could get out for dinner - never seen the likes of the freezing rain in my life and hubby said he hadn't seen it like this (and he's lived here for 40+ years!)

anyhoo got there and home yesterday, safe and sound. Although Aberdeen showed -9 our low only got to -6.5 (is this because we're higher?) - now it's 0 DP -1 - with nothing much looking likely to hit soon.. still have the 4-5 inches cover due to the extreme cold, and possibly more weird which I hadn't realise snow is actually still on rooves showing no slip at all

Very Pretty White Christmas, although I'm not even sure we got a technical WC here?

more fun lines up for the next few days? or have you lot in the central belt got greedy :whistling:

Posted

Just gonna post this on the model thread for those starved of snow or don't realise a cold spell is still occuring laugh.gif

PICT0020.jpg

Same story here, Mondy. Good to see the mild day has brought so much snow!

Posted

heavy snow now falling here looks like it could be on and off all day :whistling:

Posted

Hasn't really effected the snow cover, guess its so solid from yesterday. MO/ Beeb forecast looks good for tomorrow.crazy.gif

Yes, according to the fax charts, troughs running down form the north could bring something for just about everyone. Could be very interesting in the west in particular, with a small low just off the coast!