Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

This event, if it can be described as such, has certainly been marginal. During the early hours of this morning there was a thin layer of lying snow down to about 200m but that line has risen to around 280m and it's only really white above 320m; even at that level there's no great depth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Nevermind Honey, we will get some this week! biggrin.gif

I do hope so, About a foot would be good..

Posted

It would but if i were you i'd settle for a good few inches. :(

Moderate snow.Pushing it up to slawit as i post.good.gif

Got it! settling slightly now.

.....Very heavy snow now.

Edited by disco-barry

Posted

Starting to get heavier up here too, just been to pop a cover over the hen run (they hate snow) and there's lumps of slushy ice in with the flakes, although the flakes seem to be winning now.. Yay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

It would but if i were you i'd settle for a good few inches. :D

Got it! settling slightly now.

.....Very heavy snow now.

Yep, heavy here as well, have decided to take the working from home option for at least this morning as by all accounts the roads out of the village are hellish with a layer of snow over frozen slush with ice under that. Nice.........

Posted
Posted

Getting heavier here now, much better size flakes :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Steady light NOeet temps rising slowly again as is the dew point so it's battle against atmopsheric cooling and milder air trying to push up from the south.

If the forecast last night was correct there would have been a lot of snow as 9.8mm mainly of NO fell overnight.

Posted
post-8288-12621649375213_thumb.jpg How it's looking here currently

Posted

Light rain on and off all morning, temps should start to drop later in the day as the colder air digs south, quite a cold outlook from the Model output this am, if a little on the dry side, with no doubt wintry showers affecting Northern and Eastern coasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

If last night's temperature had been just half a degree lower the situation would have looked very different this morning. The minimum was 0.1c and for much of the night it hovered between 0.1c and 0.6c allowing a continuous slow thaw. We had 2.5cm of lying snow during the early hours of this morning but that has since reduced to 1.5cm and the snow has turned to light sleet.

A distinct snow line this morning, 280mts is the lowest level which would qualify as a Met' Office snow lying day with a very thin cover. At 300m there's 1cm and about 80% cover and at 340m 1.5cm and 100% cover. 2cm at 360m, which is the highest point within easy walking distance.

12.3mm of 'rainfall' in the 24hrs to 0900 so that half a degree fall in temp' would have given about 13cm of dry snow which is pretty much in line with what the Met' Office were expecting.

Posted

If last night's temperature had been just half a degree lower the situation would have looked very different this morning. The minimum was 0.1c and for much of the night it hovered between 0.1c and 0.6c allowing a continuous slow thaw. We had 2.5cm of lying snow during the early hours of this morning but that has since reduced to 1.5cm and the snow has turned to light sleet.

A distinct snow line this morning, 280mts is the lowest level which would qualify as a Met' Office snow lying day with a very thin cover. At 300m there's 1cm and about 80% cover and at 340m 1.5cm and 100% cover. 2cm at 360m, which is the highest point within easy walking distance.

12.3mm of 'rainfall' in the 24hrs to 0900 so that half a degree fall in temp' would have given about 13cm of dry snow which is pretty much in line with what the Met' Office were expecting.

Yes, very frustrating, when I went to bed last night it was snowing with about 1.5 cms on the ground, expecting to wake up to a good covering, but was surprised to find this morning the covering was the same, even though it was still snowing. In fact, it's only this last hour or so that has given a more noticeable covering, I would say it's over 2 cms now. Being a bit obsesive about this I'm quite anxious to get as much as possible out of this, because looking at the mid-range models it looks like whatever falls now is likely to stay around for quite a while, but the opportunities for further top-ups look somewhat limited as it stands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Still snowing here and looks like more to come throughout today... fun times!!!

I would imagine the snow line will start to drop to slightly lower levels as the cold air asserts itself so no chance of the snow turning back to rain here I hope.

Strong E wind too which is causing it to drift.

Just checked and I am at 895ft asl

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Overnight rain has turned to snow finally in Dore, west Sheffield. Up the hill at Owler bar and Ringinglow have a good covering and the snow line is now dropping.

Edited by stumathers

Posted

Yes, very frustrating, when I went to bed last night it was snowing with about 1.5 cms on the ground, expecting to wake up to a good covering, but was surprised to find this morning the covering was the same, even though it was still snowing. In fact, it's only this last hour or so that has given a more noticeable covering, I would say it's over 2 cms now. Being a bit obsesive about this I'm quite anxious to get as much as possible out of this, because looking at the mid-range models it looks like whatever falls now is likely to stay around for quite a while, but the opportunities for further top-ups look somewhat limited as it stands.

Yes, it was disappointing to look outside this morning and see nothing but clear pavements/roads. It snowed heavily earlier and left a thin, wet layer on the grass etc. Roads are full of slush. Currently snowing, but I am guessing the temp & DP are too high, as it is melting readily.

Still, at least it is snowing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Overnight rain has turned to snow finally in Dore, west Sheffield. Up the hill at Qwler bar and Ringinglow have a good covering and the snow line is now dropping.

Shows what a differance altitude makes. Still Sleet here.

Todays forecast heavy snow LOL

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Yes, it was disappointing to look outside this morning and see nothing but clear pavements/roads. It snowed heavily earlier and left a thin, wet layer on the grass etc. Roads are full of slush. Currently snowing, but I am guessing the temp & DP are too high, as it is melting readily.

Still, at least it is snowing.

glynh

Re. above, just goes to show what a difference a few miles east makes. No snow at all, sleeting steadily now, but most of lying snow now gone. Just looks dirty and miserable outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

it's been cycling through sleet and wet snow for the last 4 hours.

It left only a thin layer of slush overnight.

temp is still at 1.4ºc and DP @ 0.24ºc

Just wish it'd decide what it wants to do, my missus is driving around the local area and keeps ringing to ask whats going on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

I am suppoesed to be going to see United vs Wigan at Old Trafford tonight - any idea on what the weather will be like?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Just been watching the ppn radar on raintoday and it's almost mesmerising!!

There's showers moving east to west anywhere from darlington northwards.

Then there's the ppn over us, that runs from scarborough to nottingham, that just doesn't seem to be going anywhere. just sitting there.

then there's a band of ppn moving up from the S/ SW!!

No wonder the weather has no idea what it wants to do!!

Posted

Is it just me, or has the forecasting by the Met Office and BBC been terrible recently (ITV is always terrible!)? They didn't forecast the 6 inches of snow we got on Christmas Eve (Cleckheaton / Heckmondwike areas). More recently the temperatures in this area have barely been below freezing, with rain rather than the sub zero temperatures and snow. Almost all the snow and ice has now melted (bar the corpses of snowmen) and we have had rain again this morning. It is now grey and dull and doesn't "feel" like it will snow any time soon despite the weather warning for further snow which in place by the Met Office. Do the weather men ever look outside any more or do they simply only rely on their computers to tell them what should be happening?