Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Taken from the South West thread, Ian Fergussons comments.

Latest from Ian Fergusson (South West Thread)

Re the latter - no special thoughts, for now. General view from our medium range forecast gurus is for snow risk to be largely N/NE/E/England + Scotland and with low SW risk, but they stress a caveat of organised snow PPN bands proving more widespread and persistent. We'll keep powder dry until further runs.

That is very encouraging for both Yorks and Lincs, not exclusively for the coasts! Though one has to imagine given the slackish flow they are favourites!

Posted

I thought the temps would of been dropping by now,but it's still 5c here :wallbash:

11PM onwards, they will drop.

It's not a cold dry feed yet, we aint fully picked it up with the LP still close by.

Give it a few hours :p

Lewis

Posted

I would be very surprised if the showers didn't move inland, I don't think there has ever been a easterly that has never delivered round these parts.

EDIT: IT'S SNOWING!

Edit: I only realized when Leeds airport was reporting snow

Edited by 10123

Posted

I thought the temps would of been dropping by now,but it's still 5c here :D

You can't always read of Humberside Airport temps!! Current Temp is 3.8!

Posted

I thought the temps would of been dropping by now,but it's still 5c here nonono.gif

Temps are dropping here, currently 1.4c with a dew of -0.2c.

Posted

You can't always read of Humberside Airport temps!! Current Temp is 3.8!

Cheers for that mate.Thats what i normally look at, but it's usually a little cooler here with us being a little further inland.

Posted

Just started picking up a few light showers rolling in from Filey. Light hail and sleet, temp 2.6, DP -2. You getting them GMG?

Yes I'm getting those showers, but they appear to be falling as rain here

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Doh air temp dropping dew point rising. Temp now 1.8C dew point 0.2C up from -0.6C.

Posted

Temp is going from 3.2c to 2.8c back to 3.2c then down to 2.8c then back to 3.3c then down to 2.9c then back to 3.2c then down to 2.8c with finally on 3.1c. I wonder when it will make its mind up :wallbash:

Posted

Temp is going from 3.2c to 2.8c back to 3.2c then down to 2.8c then back to 3.3c then down to 2.9c then back to 3.2c then down to 2.8c with finally on 3.1c. I wonder when it will make its mind up :wallbash:

rain here!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Temp now down to 0.2C after reaching a high today of 0.7C. Dew currently at -2.4C. Snowcover pretty much solid at about 3 cms after last night and this morning (deeper where last week's falls remained). May be a light shower or two headed this way this evening.

Posted

Super upgrade, snow on it's way :unknw: latest charts show us with snow and bitter temps until 13th Jan lol

snow starts tomorrow afternoon

Great models today mate, but we still have to wait a few days to be sure of this coming off.If things are still looking good by friday night then i'll be having a mega ramp :wallbash: so far so good today though :cold:

We could see snow tomorrow but the main action is early next week.

awwwwwwwww thats cheerd me up LOADS! woop :nonono: right im off out! will be on alot tomorrow so will talk to you all then :D, thanks by the way :)

Posted

just seen bbc weather forecast and it shows the showers not getting into sth lincs, hope they are wrong.

Thats tomorrow night. Friday you'll be fine.

Its N lincs, East yorkshire, N Yorkshire tomorrow night.

LEWIs

Posted

Just been looking at the NMM for tomorrow. If I'm reading it correctly, it would appear that any precipitation will fall as rain at lower levels. I hope it's wrong, but it's been pretty reliable of late.

Posted

Just been looking at the NMM for tomorrow. If I'm reading it correctly, it would appear that any precipitation will fall as rain at lower levels. I hope it's wrong, but it's been pretty reliable of late.

I checked all verifies for me, dews, 850's, thickness etc.

Your not looking at the dewpoint despression by any chance are you :lol:

Posted

Precip (showers) not due till tomorrow night (9pm onwards) on the NMM Model, DP'S are good at -1, -8 850 Uppers, Surface Temps 2-3*C, looks more like snow to me.

Posted

I checked all verifies for me, dews, 850's, thickness etc.

Your not looking at the dewpoint despression by any chance are you :lol:

I'll have a re-check - I don't like being wrong :lol:

Posted

This how i see it

Thursday

Showers starting to effect eastern areas during the evening with North Yorkshire being in prime position. Other areas remaining dry but cold. Perhaps the odd shower making it inland

Friday

The Threat of more persistent snow showers across North Yorkshire, East Yorkshire during the day. These will move southwards overnight into inland areas such as SouthYorkshire and West Yorkshire. Linconshire seeing some snow as well . Further snow showers are likely to form behind and last through the night into Saturday

Saturday

A dry day inland with snow showers along the coast.

Sunday

Snow showers along the coast. Perhaps making it more inland. Especially as we head through the day

Think i will leave it there for now. Sorry for lack of detail but im kind of multi tasking :lol:

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My reading of the NMM suggests temperatures falling close to freezing inland in Yorkshire tonight but holding up at around +2 along the coastal fringe. Tomorrow, 1-2C inland, perhaps nudging 3 or 4C at the coastal fringe. Dewpoints of around -2 inland, -1 at the coast.

Put together this suggests snow showers inland and a wintry mix along the North Sea coast- unless I'm missing something? Precipitation very rarely falls as rain or even sleet when the average of the air temperature and dewpoint is at or below freezing.

Posted

My reading of the NMM suggests temperatures falling close to freezing inland in Yorkshire tonight but holding up at around +2 along the coastal fringe. Tomorrow, 1-2C inland, perhaps nudging 3 or 4C at the coastal fringe. Dewpoints of around -2 inland, -1 at the coast.

Put together this suggests snow showers inland and a wintry mix along the North Sea coast- unless I'm missing something? Precipitation very rarely falls as rain or even sleet when the average of the air temperature and dewpoint is at or below freezing.

temps @ 3-4 on the coast tomorrow with dews 0 to -2, would all be as snow even on the coast, thickness is fine from mid morning tomorrow, 850's fine, can't see anything other than snow.

Lewis

Posted

Yes you are completely right guys. That's why I'm a moderator and not a forecaster :D

Here we are:

post-5487-12622114236413_thumb.png

Your a moderator and you do a blooming fantastic job, you have more input than most of the forecasters on here, you deserve a promotion :)..

But maybe not in cold spells :)... lol jk

Lewis