Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Yes you are completely right guys. That's why I'm a moderator and not a forecaster :D

Here we are:

post-5487-12622114236413_thumb.png

Move out the way :):) , what was you looking at :) ?

Posted

I was looking at the wrong day :) It always happens to me at Christmas time :)

Interesting times ahead mate and hopefully a covering of snow in the next few days :)

Posted

I was looking at the wrong day :) It always happens to me at Christmas time :)

Enjoy the Sherry :) , tonights GFS (18hrs) goes of on a tangeant slightly by sinking the GH (i know how dare it :) ), leaving us all in a cold high, not sure this is the right evolution as sometime during the middle of the month i would fully expect a SH to develope around the Norwegian area esp around the huge snowfields, maybe it isn't far from the mark but a slightly northern emphasis on the high at least.

Posted

I would ignore the GFS 18z, far to progressive. In the meantime we should focus on the snow risk for the end of the week into the weekend! :)

Yep once again the GFS loses the plot :) Fingers crossed for the morning runs,although im not getting up early to view them :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I couldn't help but feel envious when I saw the tops of Hudersfield on the local news....

I've been fighting with youtube videos which won't play on uploading them, for the last 5 hours and have not checked the weather. It came as a surprise as I thought everywhere had rain.

Edited by Stelmer

Posted

What a great start to the New Year that would be. I like it :crazy:

Yep,

And i'm not worried about any marginal episodes after just having hail and also snow with some big flakes thrown in, temps 4c with a dew of 1.3c and it still snowed, not rain :yahoo:

I'm going to bed, need some sleep tomorrows a busy day..

I'll take a look at the runs tomoz etc and make a post on the output, with my home made charts, depth estimations etc.

Goodnight Yorkshire/Lincs :rofl:

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

i was in fridaythorpe in the yorkshire wolds at around 10pm and there was a 5 minute heavy snow shower but it fell as rain in york.

Posted

morning all ......mostly bright and cold here at the moment ....temp 2 c

PS ( is it possible to measure the Dew Point without a weather station ....do i need to know the relative humidity ? )

Posted

BBC on the TV have said snow showers today pushing further inland and extending southwards to lincolnshire and the SE tomorrow, And a narrow band of snow passing through tomorrow with plenty more showers right across the north.

So they have mentioned it, Ignore the internet forecasts they really aren't that accurate.

Posted

Are you going by the gfs precipitation charts by any chance?

Lewis

Yes. There usually pretty acurate in the short term.I'd feel a lot more confident about tonight if the GFS was showing snow further inland.

Posted

Yes. There usually pretty acurate in the short term.I'd feel a lot more confident about tonight if the GFS was showing snow further inland.

I think UKMO fax charts, and radar watching is in order now. The 06Z shows a more northerly flow, which i think is wrong, due to the way it handles the LP.

12z, will be back in order i think :)

Lewis

Posted

Anyone know why weather warnings have been downgraded to only include North Yorkshire?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

Yorkshire & Humber:

N Yorkshire

Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow Thu 31 Dec

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of Scotland and Northeast England through New Year's Eve evening and into New Year's Day.

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow, coupled with freezing temperatures will cause widespread icy roads in places. Showers will fall as snow away from coastal districts and could give more than 5cm of fresh snow in places.

Issued at: 0947 Thu 31 Dec

Yorkshire & Humber:

N Yorkshire

Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow Fri 1 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of Scotland and Northeast England continuing from New Year's Eve night into New Year's Day

Further Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow, coupled with freezing temperatures will cause widespread icy roads in places.

Showers will fall as snow away from coastal districts and could give more than 5cm of fresh snow in places.

Issued at: 1013 Thu 31 Dec