Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Overcast here with a light E wind. Currently 2.5°C with a DP of -5.4°C - the latter has been dropping all day as the air gets drier and now everything has dried up: even the small puddle on my patio! smile.gif The small amount of remaining snow must be sublimating like crazy although the temp is low.

If I am honest I am not expecting anything tonight, however, the increase in cloud and the dropping DP are making me wonder.... However, I think it is still a little too warm.

Let's see what happens this eveniing: I am staying at home and will watch BBC Scotland's annual Hogmanay bash with Jackie Bird on Sky - how sad is that!

Posted

Overcast here with a light E wind. Currently 2.5°C with a DP of -5.4°C - the latter has been dropping all day as the air gets drier and now everything has dried up: even the small puddle on my patio! smile.gif The small amount of remaining snow must be sublimating like crazy although the temp is low.

If I am honest I am not expecting anything tonight, however, the increase in cloud and the dropping DP are making me wonder.... However, I think it is still a little too warm.

Let's see what happens this eveniing: I am staying at home and will watch BBC Scotland's annual Hogmanay bash with Jackie Bird on Sky - how sad is that!

Yes, even here just 9 miles from the coast by crow conditions are very favourable with a temperature of 2.6C and dewpoint of -3.1C. Its quite suprising really as 850hPa temperatures on the face of it look quite borderline for lowland snow close to the coast at around -7C or -8C. The real tester will be when the showers start arriving. The dewpoints will tend to rise and the temperature fall. If dewpoints can remain well below freezing then it should be looking good.

Unfortunately though the shower activity for the time being looks pretty anaemic. There are some heavier ones forming out in the North Sea between Newcastle and Edinburgh which have the potential to give a covering. Hopefully they will move southwards though the GFS suggests the precipitation wont really get going here until tomorrow morning onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I'll be having haggis for tea, that's about as close as I'll be getting.

Good UKMO this evening. The little cluster of showers south of Middlesbrough only making agonisingly slow progress south at the moment, with no real sign on the radar of much further south even out over the North Sea.

Posted

Will do good.gif. Should I be worried about the snow covered country roads or will they be ok. The forecasts arn't that helpful really.

I guess you'll come up the A164 to Driff, then the B1249 over the Wolds. They're all fine now, but the hill into and out of Langtoft and Staxton Hill onto the A64 can get dicey. If it's snowy you might be better on the coastal route from Driff to Brid up up to Scarboro from there, or take the Brid road from Beverley.

Posted

Yes, even here just 9 miles from the coast by crow conditions are very favourable with a temperature of 2.6C and dewpoint of -3.1C. Its quite suprising really as 850hPa temperatures on the face of it look quite borderline for lowland snow close to the coast at around -7C or -8C. The real tester will be when the showers start arriving. The dewpoints will tend to rise and the temperature fall. If dewpoints can remain well below freezing then it should be looking good.

Unfortunately though the shower activity for the time being looks pretty anaemic. There are some heavier ones forming out in the North Sea between Newcastle and Edinburgh which have the potential to give a covering. Hopefully they will move southwards though the GFS suggests the precipitation wont really get going here until tomorrow morning onwards.

Still my temps are double than yours with a dew point of -1.7c

The 12z is a fantastic run, for area's that don't see anything in the next 24 hours, will certainly see something over the coming week.

Lewis

Posted

Still my temps are double than yours with a dew point of -1.7c

The 12z is a fantastic run, for area's that don't see anything in the next 24 hours, will certainly see something over the coming week.

Lewis

NMM 12HR Run is out and it's not bad for shower activity along Yorks & Lincs, favourably most activity is situated East of the A1.

post-5042-12622801287513_thumb.pngpost-5042-12622801391513_thumb.pngpost-5042-12622801508813_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Evening all,

Just stepped in the house after being out to town. Just a couple of fleeting light snow showers - and wow proper powder snow.

Posted

Just looked at the radar and the showers up north are definetly moving south now. They are pushing into North yorkshire, some look quite beefy!

Posted

Just looked at the radar and the showers up north are definetly moving south now. They are pushing into North yorkshire, some look quite beefy!

You can clearly see where the showers are currently on this image.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Posted

yes looks that way.

Posted

NMM 12HR Run is out and it's not bad for shower activity along Yorks & Lincs, favourably most activity is situated East of the A1.

post-5042-12622801287513_thumb.pngpost-5042-12622801391513_thumb.pngpost-5042-12622801508813_thumb.png

it shows up the trough moving down the coast quite well

I guess you'll come up the A164 to Driff, then the B1249 over the Wolds. They're all fine now, but the hill into and out of Langtoft and Staxton Hill onto the A64 can get dicey. If it's snowy you might be better on the coastal route from Driff to Brid up up to Scarboro from there, or take the Brid road from Beverley.

wise words-I know the situation quite well-listen to the local radio for road conditions and of course get the forecast be it on here or from whichever body is duty dog for the radio stations in Yorks tomorrow.

Posted

Us in harrogate allways seem to miss out with this sort of setup,looks like a drive up the dales tomorrow in the land rover

Posted

Radar watching, deja vu? Thursday night again :drunk:

Same sort of setup, and the showers in the exact same areas, south of us and north of us, and were in a big gap. I wonder why that is, seeing as though we all have the same flow :S

Is our section of the North Sea shooting blanks lol.

Lewis

Posted

Radar watching, deja vu? Thursday night again :wallbash:

Same sort of setup, and the showers in the exact same areas, south of us and north of us, and were in a big gap. I wonder why that is, seeing as though we all have the same flow :S

Is our section of the North Sea shooting blanks lol.

Lewis

our time will come soon and looks like the humber will be in our favour :angry: were all going to need masses of pro plus all next week!

Posted

Looks like the showers won't be moving south anytime soon.

-0.6c atm.

Posted

our time will come soon and looks like the humber will be in our favour biggrin.gif were all going to need masses of pro plus all next week!

I wonder what the chances will be for me to build snowmen with my class of children!! Only done this once in 6 years.

Posted

Just watched look north local with Paul Hudson, went out to tomorrow 3pm only on the main charts, then the national came on, exactly same, wont budge any further past 3pm tomorrow!.

Both forecasts showing the showers not reaching down here.

But i'm still confident we will see some snow showers later tonight.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Just watched look north local with Paul Hudson, went out to tomorrow 3pm only on the main charts, then the national came on, exactly same, wont budge any further past 3pm tomorrow!.

Both forecasts showing the showers not reaching down here.

But i'm still confident we will see some snow showers later tonight.

Lewis

Yeah i mentioned the gap earlier this afternoon mate.Cracking model output today though and the ECM is looking good.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php It's nowhere near as good by +168 but thats FI anyway.

Edited by sufc

Posted

I wonder what the chances will be for me to build snowmen with my class of children!! Only done this once in 6 years.

my brother is a teacher in a school in grimsby!!! small world eh!

Posted

Yeah i mentioned the gap earlier this afternoon mate.Cracking model output today though and the ECM is looking good.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php It's nowhere near as good by +168 but thats FI anyway.

Wow, lovely ECM upto now, and regarding the gap yeah you spotted it earlier, a shame, but o'well let's look ahead :clap:

Paul Hudson on the forecast tonight, said the cold will be with us for at least another couple of weeks :)

lewis

Posted

http://www.meteociel...deles/ecmwf.php It's nowhere near as good by +168 but thats FI anyway.

Not very Good ECM in the longer term! On the other hand we get a good few days of very cold temps and snow showers :clap: I wouldn't be to concerned about the longer term on this run. We shall always see chopping and changing around this time. But it is disappointing for longer term snow prospects. Will be interesting to see were it stands on its ensembles! Still looking very good in the short to medium term for our region :) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I'm pleased it's clear enough to enjoy the

Blue Moon and the partial eclipse happening now.

BL :)

Posted

Not very Good ECM in the longer term! On the other hand we get a good few days of very cold temps and snow showers :clap: I wouldn't be to concerned about the longer term on this run. We shall always see chopping and changing around this time. But it is disappointing for longer term snow prospects. Will be interesting to see were it stands on its ensembles! Still looking very good in the short to medium term for our region :) :)

I'll be very surprised if the ECM isn't an outlier after +168, and it makes a change having a great short/medium term rather than looking for cold/snow in the long term.

Posted

I'll be very surprised if the ECM isn't an outlier after +168, and it makes a change having a great short/medium term rather than looking for cold/snow in the long term.

I suspect it is. Does seem a strange run which doesn't have much in the way of support. We should probably just focus on the short and medium term. There's a lot to keep us interested there! :p