Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Was about to post, but my next door neighbor wanted me to show him how to download and burn dvds.

Anyhow, yup major upgrade, gfs 12z shifts the LP track back to the SW and filling out.

Fantastic run, let's see what happens...

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

The temperatures are starting to become more favourable now. Its currently 4.2C with a dewpoint of -0.4C. Not a particularly mild day though with a max of 4.9C earlier, we havent reached 5C since 14th December in fact.

Posted

The temperatures are starting to become more favourable now. Its currently 4.2C with a dewpoint of -0.4C. Not a particularly mild day though with a max of 4.9C earlier, we havent reached 5C since 14th December in fact.

How come i have hit 6.8c today, it's 5.9c now with a dew of -0.8

weird ay :S

Here me weather station

post-2644-12621900102913_thumb.jpg

Posted

Was about to post, but my next door neighbor wanted me to show him how to download and burn dvds.

Anyhow, yup major upgrade, gfs 12z shifts the LP track back to the SW and filling out.

Fantastic run, let's see what happens...

Lewis

A much better GFS, but i wish that low would get lost altogeither or go further south.

Posted

A much better GFS, but i wish that low would get lost altogeither or go further south.

Are you sure :whistling:

We have 1 low to our North,

And one to the SW, we have lots of showers, about with troughs etc, and on top of that prospects of staying away from any milder incursions and on top of that, any precipitation will be of snow, whether from the East, North, South, or west :)

I'll take that.

Lewis

Posted

Here me weather station

Your temperatures are definitely high. The max temps at Leconfield and Bridlington were 4.9C and 5.4C today. You're in a pretty built up area which will have some effect, but Id be more worried about how exposed your station is, as especially on sunny days you have the potential to record very high temperatures, especially attached to a fence.

Posted

Your temperatures are definitely high. The max temps at Leconfield and Bridlington were 4.9C and 5.4C today. You're in a pretty built up area which will have some effect, but Id be more worried about how exposed your station is, as especially on sunny days you have the potential to record very high temperatures, especially attached to a fence.

very true,

what if i have it 1 foot off the ground?

will that be better, obviously i wont get the strength of the wind, which i'm not bothered about.

lewis

Posted

Are you sure tongue.gif

We have 1 low to our North,

And one to the SW, we have lots of showers, about with troughs etc, and on top of that prospects of staying away from any milder incursions and on top of that, any precipitation will be of snow, whether from the East, North, South, or west tease.gif

I'll take that.

Lewis

GFS has us staying very cold out till the 12th of January with lots of snow showers in that time :mellow: Looking good :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Temp currently 4.2°C, highest today was 4.8°C just after 2pm. Dewpoint has been gradually dropping all day and is now -2°C. We did have some showers this morning and one of these had some sleet and even a very brief (20 second) spell of snow: I know, I was walking the dog!

I figure the dewpoint dropping is a good sign as it can only mean that more dry continental air is now being entrained in the easterly wind. Eventually this will come to dominate as much of the N Sea warmth is mixed out. This should leave us with cold air and colder uppers (so long as this upper warm front mves South as forecast) moving over a warm N Sea. This can only mean one thing, snow rolleyes.gif However, for the mixing out be effective it is important that the easterly wind remains strong, if it does not then there is more time for the warmth of the N Sea to mix in with a resultant rise in air temperature.

All in all, I do feel that the fall in the DP is good news and, combined with the small trough shown on the FAX chart, we have a good chance of some snow tomorrow.

I'm beginning to feel more confident now: shame about yesterday's LP though dry.gif Coming from W Wales originally, I was hoping this was going to give them something to shout about. Oh well, there is still time this winter - that's the great thing, there is still time this winter. It is still only December! cold.gif

Posted

May i add one thing, i went ramping on yesterdays 12z output, for the 18z and 00z and 06z this morning to show something completely different, regarding the movement of the LP, and the runs was much drier.

Although it's not nailed on, i now back the 12z GFS 91% as the past few days have seen agreement between the GFS 12Z and the ECM 12Z.

Lewis

Posted

Convection showers now edging into our region. North York Moors receiving snow showers at the moment and they are starting to move slightly south.

Edited by WS Evolution

Posted

Here me weather station

As per the other post Lewis, your station doesn't appear to have quite the correct position. Somewhere I have a fairly detailed document re siting of instruments, I'll try and find the link for you. Must admit, it's difficult to get it right, but the better you can get it the more accurate it will be. I have a copper beech tree covering half my garden which is damned annoying. Tempted to stuff it in the woodburner, but it has a preservation order on it.

Posted

As per the other post Lewis, your station doesn't appear to have quite the correct position. Somewhere I have a fairly detailed document re siting of instruments, I'll try and find the link for you. Must admit, it's difficult to get it right, but the better you can get it the more accurate it will be. I have a copper beech tree covering half my garden which is damned annoying. Tempted to stuff it in the woodburner, but it has a preservation order on it.

Thanks, that would be fantastic if you can find them, how very kind of you. I suppose we all benefit from having accurate details. Do you want anything for the documents?

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

What happened to the heavy snow sheffield was forecast yesterday and today then because all i've seen below 300m is rain and sleet!! this is the last time that i take the met office warnings seriously.

Posted

Max of 2.6c today, temperatures inland appear to be alot colder.

According to Leeds Airport weather station we had light snow for 3 hours, at 3am-6am, which seems likely as temps were around 0.c. What bugged me the most about last night was the PPN was very light, we had light sleet all night, when we had slightly heavier precipitation it fell as snow with big flakes as well, if the precipitation was just that little heavier we would of easily had a deep covering.

Anyway time to look forward to tonight and tomorrow, I'm glad to see these weather warnings are for North West England as well which shows the showers will be heavy enough and the winds will be strong enough to push them well inland.

Posted

Lewis, and anyone else who may be interested, the document I was referring to was a MO leaflet entitled "Automatic Weather Measurements". I got it off the MO website, but can't find it now, but it's a very useful guide. I have a pdf version, happy to e-mail it to anyone and there's a manual instrument version as well.

Thanks, that would be fantastic if you can find them, how very kind of you. I suppose we all benefit from having accurate details. Do you want anything for the documents?

Lewis

I hadn't thought about cash! £1000???? :cray:

Posted

What happened to the heavy snow sheffield was forecast yesterday and today then because all i've seen below 300m is rain and sleet!! this is the last time that i take the met office warnings seriously.

Don't worry, im (hoping) we see some showers over the coming days :cray: As you said on the mids thread high ground to the west has done quite well :lol:

Posted

Lewis, and anyone else who may be interested, the document I was referring to was a MO leaflet entitled "Automatic Weather Measurements". I got it off the MO website, but can't find it now, but it's a very useful guide. I have a pdf version, happy to e-mail it to anyone and there's a manual instrument version as well.

I hadn't thought about cash! £1000???? :cray:

1000 quid, how about a pint :lol:?

lewis

Posted

very true,

what if i have it 1 foot off the ground?

will that be better, obviously i wont get the strength of the wind, which i'm not bothered about.

lewis

You want it 1.25m off the ground in a location sheltered from the sunshine and preferrably away from heated buildings (they radiate heat), but with lots of airflow around it. It should also be above soil or grass, not concrete if possible for the same reasons.

Obviously it can be quite difficult to position in the average garden. For my station, I found the best position was 1.25m above the grass on a north-east facing wall. Its sheltered from the sunshine 24/7 all year round and has excellent airflow.

Posted

Frequent snow showers from new year onwards looks quite likely now with a high risk of significant snow in the east, but also pushing far inland for a time. Repeat of two weeks ago I think ! some areas will do allot better then others depending on the streamers, but looking good for most of us in the east.

Posted

hi all, becoming confused here, i have seen a few forecasts for here and it ranges from light drizzle to snow showers, chilly to very cold,metcheck have us down for snow showers on friday, met office have us down for being dry, who should i go with ??

Posted

hi all, becoming confused here, i have seen a few forecasts for here and it ranges from light drizzle to snow showers, chilly to very cold,metcheck have us down for snow showers on friday, met office have us down for being dry, who should i go with ??

Anywhere down the coast can expect snow showers i would have thought.

Posted

We had two snow showers yesterday morning, hopefully the rest of the showers tomorrow Will be as snow.