Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Being a bit obsesive about this I'm quite anxious to get as much as possible out of this, because looking at the mid-range models it looks like whatever falls now is likely to stay around for quite a while, but the opportunities for further top-ups look somewhat limited as it stands.

My sentiments entirely, PTFD. The temperature has fallen slowly here during the morning and now stands at 0.6c, unfortunately the precipitation is too light to make any difference and the heavier stuff is about 50-70 miles north and looks like going nowhere for some time.

Some interesting developments to the south but too far away to warrant excitement, in fact I'm not at all sure that it's going to get anywhere near here.

Posted

Temps still around 5.8 to 6c here, but dew has dropped too 0c!

I reckon tonight we could see some showers pushing in off the N sea, look North across the border and N of Darlington, that's evidence of whats happening. Once this LP starts to sink back south later this evening and overnight, our flow will change.

Lewis

Posted

I reckon tonight we could see some showers pushing in off the N sea, look North across the border and N of Darlington, that's evidence of whats happening. Once this LP starts to sink back south later this evening and overnight, our flow will change.

Lewis

Strange how the DP's are dropping of now yet the temps are having to play catch up (going down), catch 22 when it's daylight hours!

Posted

Lewis

Very cold throughout with hard frost morning and night. A mix of sunshine and scattered snow showers, though the snow showers becoming heavier and more frequent over the weekend.

Updated: 0324 on Wed 30 Dec 2009

You got to hope this comes off :D sounds like a typical E/NE setup :D

Posted

Lewis

Hopefully the GFS 12Z is a lot better than this mornings run in the medium term, and that LP is kept further SW.It would be awesome if we get a bitter NE,LY next week :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

My sentiments entirely, PTFD. The temperature has fallen slowly here during the morning and now stands at 0.6c, unfortunately the precipitation is too light to make any difference and the heavier stuff is about 50-70 miles north and looks like going nowhere for some time.

Some interesting developments to the south but too far away to warrant excitement, in fact I'm not at all sure that it's going to get anywhere near here.

I guess I must be about 30-40 miles north of you, but not quite so high, and it's very strange. There is a proper 2-3 cm covering everywhere, but that has been the case since 9.00 am this morning. It's been snowing steadily since then, sometimes quite heavily, my temp is showing as -0.4C, DP of -1.8C, and yet the depth seems to be remaining at that, neither melting further or increasing ?

A couple of pics as illustration, first one is of east facing window where there is now quite a build-up of snow, and second is looking east from upstairs window.

post-2239-12621742537413_thumb.jpg

post-2239-12621742512013_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Some serious accumulations piling up north of south yorkshire, and south of west yorkshire i:e stocksbridge ,penistone ,and holmfirth.

Posted

We had to turn out this morning down to Oughtibridge and the snow turned to rain in Worral which is about 800 feet ASL.

It's still quite heavy here in High Bradfield but it's very fine stuff, - although it covers cleared paths very quickly. Thermometer showing 0°C.

Snow is about 3cm deep on the paved area of the garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Some serious accumulations piling up north of south yorkshire, and south of west yorkshire i:e stocksbridge ,penistone ,and holmfirth.

Penistone itself it clear, with just a slushy coating, although it hasn't stopped the panic buyers at the local shops (no bread or milk to be had anywhere!)

Wer keep getting the odd bit of snow, but it's mainly to our west.

I've not heard anyone say what it's like on the holmfirth road yet (Crow Edge, Carlicoates, Foxhouse Inn area), but I think they've got it quite good up there according to raintoday radar!

Woodhead Pass was passable with care earlier.

edit: it's 1ºc here witha DP of -0.15ºc.

i think the best discription would be 'Snizzle' :D really fine snow!!

Edited by Gumbo Briggs

Posted

i think the best discription would be 'Snizzle' :) really fine snow!!

I think a lot of folk would describe this event as a 'Swizzle'. :)

Although our snow is thickening up now and the wind is getting up so we might have an interesting afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Penistone itself it clear, with just a slushy coating, although it hasn't stopped the panic buyers at the local shops (no bread or milk to be had anywhere!)

I've not heard anyone say what it's like on the holmfirth road yet (Crow Edge, Carlicoates, Foxhouse Inn area), but I think they've got it quite good up there according to raintoday radar!

i think the best discription would be 'Snizzle' unknw.gif really fine snow!!

Cheers for the update rolleyes.gif Hade edge was very tricky earlier,as i had to pop up for a while.As i speek the meto have reduced the warnings for here.Probably anticipating the front to fizzle.To be quite honest i would like to see the back of this transitional period now.Looking north east the north sea is already spawning plenty of activity.smile.gif

Posted

Cold, 2.7c with constant drizzle. I would rather it be pouring down with rain at 5c or 6c. At least it would be more interesting! Should turn colder by Friday though with wintry showers effecting eastern areas. In land areas of our region will probably be cold but sunny with perhaps the odd shower making it inland. Early next week looks more interesting with the risk of more widespread snow showers. Until then i expect it to be dry and cold for most with some showers in the East.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The none event continues here. Varying between snow granules and sleet. To the west south west it looks like the front is pushing north again with more heavy rain embedded. Sadly chances of effecting us is remote.

Posted

CAREP

or car report!

around 1230-1300

from Brocker Bank=light sleet but mostly rain and +2C; on up Ecclesall Road beyond the church and right turn to go up Ringinglow-+1 and light sleet with a few flakes-plenty of old snow shifted to the side of drives-then on out past the last of the new estates and fields partially covered with old snow and by the time I reached the Norfolk Arms totally white with fresh snow-probably 2cm with a mix of slush and snow on the road by the side of the pub. Looking up the road and just two tracks up and two down on the road, fog and light snow- temp zero C.

i think the best discription would be 'Snizzle' unknw.gif really fine snow!!

1pm and the report said Woodhead and Snake are closed as is the one to Holmfirth

Still going here, been a blizzard all day. Temp 0.1oC. Lower levels, like Oldham town centre are completely snow free

nice photos

snow remaining on the side of walls is a good indicator of no thawing occurring

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Hi john :smiliz46: Is the Norfolk arms the new pub that's just been renovated? Its near that round house building before you split off to go to fox house or straight on hathersage?

Posted
1pm and the report said Woodhead and Snake are closed as is the one to Holmfirth

The Holmfirth road is probably the A6024 - which runs from near Crowden Reservoir and a road I used to drive along quite frequently. That was reported as closed earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I guess I must be about 30-40 miles north of you, but not quite so high, and it's very strange. There is a proper 2-3 cm covering everywhere, but that has been the case since 9.00 am this morning. It's been snowing steadily since then, sometimes quite heavily, my temp is showing as -0.4C, DP of -1.8C, and yet the depth seems to be remaining at that, neither melting further or increasing ?

You could double that distance PTFD as I'm about as far south in the Peak District as it's possible to get, about 18 miles south of Buxton.

Nothing more exciting than endelss drizzle and light sleet here with a temp' of 0.8c. All fresh snow below 320 m has

thawed but it's amazing how resiliant the patches of old snow are; my garden is still 90% covered with about 3cm of it.

Posted

New Met. Office Warning out for tomorrow

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

Yorkshire & Humber:

E Riding of Yorkshire

Kingston upon Hull

N Lincolnshire

N Yorkshire

NE Lincolnshire

S Yorkshire

W Yorkshire

York

Heavy Snow & Widespread Icy Roads Thu 31 Dec Issued at: 1458 Wed 30 Dec

Snow showers are expected to affect many areas but especially coasts and hills exposed to the north. The showers may be heavy and give fresh accumulations of 2-5cm in some places and locally 10cm.

Icy patches on untreated surfaces may become widespread.