Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Good too see the band has intensified on the latest radar sequence but with how marginal the situation is, i'm a little bit nervous about it arriving.

This afternoon has seen a rather slow thaw, grass looks mainly unaffected but some of the roofs are a bit patchy however it's just like one side of the roof looking a bit bare whilst the other side is full of snow and very little if any thaw occured.

Could do with a nice top up on the ground and the road though, with people walking and driving, it looks untidy and a nice top up would put that right. tongue.gif I would prefer if this band would not hit us(and that could still happen) but if it fall as snow(aslong its not wet snow) then we could see more snow accumulating.

Hi i live in teeside and currently the temp is 2.4C and dewpoint is - 0.2C at 17:23 now aslong as that keeps dropping and band comes i could get some snow! :p

TWS this doesnt tie in with your thoughts do you have any reason why? :p

Local areas affectedWarning typeValid fromValid toNorth East England: Darlington Durham Hartlepool Middlesbrough Northumberland Redcar + Cleveland Stockton-on-Tees Tyne + WearHeavy Snow & Widespread Icy Roads1500 Fri 11600 Sat 2Sleet and snow showers through Friday afternoon and evening, should ease for a time overnight, but will become widespread again later on Saturday morning and into the afternoon. Further fresh falls of 2 to 5 cm are expected, with locally up to 10cm. The wintry showers are also expected to fall on frozen roads and paths during Friday evening and overnight causing widespread ice in places.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1022 Fri 1 Jan

Posted

Well lets hope you do get some snow, you deserve some after what has been a tedious day for you with snow to your north and very little for you. Having saying that, i remember cases where we had nothing and Middlesbrough area had loads of snow, most likely to be from a NNW, so frustrating when you see those shower clouds just missing you to the east.

That band on the eastern side is more patchy, so thats not the best news but hopefully the temp and dewpoint will just stay on the right side of marginal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Temperature is falling here now from a high of 1.6c now down to 0.9c.

I made good use of my snow shovel this morning. Its nice to dig through a decent snow depth. I made the mistake last time of not clearing it off the drive and paths till the morning after. Well it was frozen solid and I could not budge it and it stayed that way for a week, meaning I was slipping everytime I went out.

TWS - are you sure the band of showers currently intensifying to the North is going to be blown out to sea before it gets here?

I was hoping so (from the perspective of it being marginal near the coast, meaning strong likelihood of sleet and resulting thaw) but the radar currently shows them heading straight for us. However they do seem to be headed N-S rather than NE-SW so hopefully the winds will swing around to the north when they arrive, reducing the warming effect at the coast.

TWS you dont expect this 10 or so centimeters of snow to thaw tomorrow do you? So when the snow comes in tomorrow night it will just top it up ?

There will be some thawing- more than I expected, because we've got a clump coming down from the north which may well be sleety in nature. However I'll be surprised if most of it goes- the snow cover should be pretty resilient considering that we've got 10cm of it still. Overnight there should be no further thaw with temps falling below freezing. Tomorrow morning, perhaps a further slight thaw as the wind veers easterly warming the coast up, but the afternoon and evening should then have significant topups as the very cold upper air comes in from the east and brings falling and lying snow right out to the sea front.

Posted

NOOOOOOOO the band is dying according to will it rain today can anyone confirm this ? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm starting to be tempted to wish those showers to make it over here, for temperatures and dewpoints are falling away nicely: 1.9C with a dewpoint nudging below freezing. There's a nice streamer out in the North Sea which, if it gets cold enough, could give something similar to the Sunderland snow streamer late on 18 December.

Posted

I'm starting to be tempted to wish those showers to make it over here, for temperatures and dewpoints are falling away nicely: 1.9C with a dewpoint nudging below freezing. There's a nice streamer out in the North Sea which, if it gets cold enough, could give something similar to the Sunderland snow streamer late on 18 December.

Mate do you think ill see something tonight now? all my hopes are on this now! Come to papa please drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Just had sleet here about 15mins ago the hevier stuff passed to the southeast of me

Temp +0.3c dew -1.1c

I also had about 10 minutes of light sleet, I can see the edge of the cloud now and the snow hasn't been damaged so I'm somewhat relieved. 1.2ºC now.

Posted

Mate do you think ill see something tonight now? all my hopes are on this now! Come to papa please drinks.gif

I have my doubts about it reaching you- tomorrow afternoon/evening is definitely your best bet.

Just had a big hailstorm in Cleadon.

Posted

I'm not really sure you would in all honesty TWS, had sleet here although it did turn more into snow(hard too tell if it was 100% snow).

I kind of prefer to play the safe card and just rely on Saturday producing the goods which hopefully it will, certainly less marginal i would of thought. Of course after we got next weeks potential.

Posted

Aye, it is a bit risky with these showers which could potentially be damaging to the snow cover if the temperature doesn't continue to fall (and the last thing we want is rain falling on top of snow, melting it and then refreezing leading to ice!). I think we're going to get some of them whether we like it or not judging by the radar, so I was partly trying to look on the bright side. In truth with dewpoints below freezing and temps already dropping below 2C I don't think there should be any significant damage to the snow cover.

Tomorrow might well be marginal initially as the wind picks up off the sea- don't be surprised to see sleety showers initially, but falling and lying snow is likely out to the seafront from mid-afternoon onwards.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Aye, it is a bit risky with these showers which could potentially be damaging to the snow cover if the temperature doesn't continue to fall (and the last thing we want is rain falling on top of snow and then refreezing leading to ice!). I think we're going to get some of them whether we like it or not judging by the radar, so I was partly trying to look on the bright side.

Tomorrow might well be marginal initially as the wind picks up off the sea- don't be surprised to see sleety showers initially, but falling and lying snow is likely out to the seafront from mid-afternoon onwards.

TWS according to the radar they may reach me smile.gif and now temp and dew point dropping! biggrin.gif AT 6:30 TEMP = 1.9c DEW POINT = -0.5c and id rather there reach me all i have is a sugar dusting and im prepared to gamble that! Come On! drinks.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

TWS according to the radar they may reach me :oops: and now temp and dew point dropping! <_< AT 6:27 TEMP = 2c DEW POINT = -0.4c

Don't count on it, it was 0.3ºC with a dewpoint of about -1ºC when it was sleeting here. You could get snow but I don't think it is worth getting your hopes up just for them to be dashed. Tomorrow you should get some decent snowfall, but again, you should have seen some today so don't be too disappointed if you don't. I'm confident you'll see at least 5-10cm by the end of next week.

EDIT: Looking at the radar you might not get much precipitation tonight anyway. The band has broken up almost completely now.

Also bear in mind that the temperature rises by 0.5-1ºC as the cloud and precipitation arrives.

Edited by alza

Posted

Alza i want to be off school as i go back on tuesday lol ! tongue.gif anyways temp and dewpoint falling off the cliff now! biggrin.gif Temp 1.8C and Dew point - 0.6C at 18:33

Now Temp 1.7C and Dew point -0.7C at 18:37

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Alza i want to be off school as i go back on tuesday lol ! :lol: anyways temp and dewpoint falling off the cliff now! :D Temp 1.8C and Dew point - 0.6C at 18:33

You've got it lightly, I go back on Monday! Last time my school shut apparently was in February 1991, and it has remained open through many different falls of 4-6 inches. Once the pupils and teachers can't get in safely it obviously has to close so a rapid fall just before dawn could well do the trick.

There are lots of showers developing across Northern Scotland atm, presumably a trough, is this feature expected to affect us tomorrow morning?

Edited by alza

Posted

You've got it lightly, I go back on Monday! Last time my school shut apparently was in February 1991, and it has remained open through several falls of 6 inches. Once the pupils and teachers can't get in safely it obviously has to close so a rapid fall just before dawn could well do the trick.

What do you think of my chances of getting school off with met having warnings of 20cm on tuesday! ohmy.gif and there is plenty more snow before then smile.gif.

OH AND MY SUGAR DUSTING IS ALMOST GONE SO THIS HAS MY HOPES ON IT! drunk.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

What do you think of my chances of getting school off with met having warnings of 20cm on tuesday! :D and there is plenty more snow before then :).

I don't think we'll get 20cm in one day*, but 10-15cm perhaps. It really all depends on how much snow you get in the meantime, I've already got 11cm so it would be much easier for me to reach that figure. And I think 20cm could just about cancel my school as long as it is still falling / predicted to carry on falling.

*Though if we get an entire day of weather like I got between 02:00 and 10:00 this morning there would be 30cm by the end of the day, so I wouldn't underestimate the power of North Sea snow showers. :lol: (slight ramp)

Edited by alza

Posted

I don't think we'll get 20cm in one day, but 10-15cm perhaps. It really all depends on how much snow you get in the meantime, I've already got 11cm so it would be much easier for me to reach that figure. And I think 20cm could just about cancel my school as long as it is still falling / predicted to carry on falling.

So what you think of my chances with nothing on the ground blush.gif

Posted

So what you think of my chances with nothing on the ground blush.gif

Judging by how unlucky you were today it is possible! I seriously doubt you could be that unlucky twice or even 3 times though. I'd give you a 1 in 10 chance.

Edited by alza

Posted

With the temp holding up (now 2.0C), reports of sleet at 0.3C and the showers showing signs of mostly staying out in the North Sea I've had another change-around. Let the showers arc around Cleadon (and then possibly hit Stockton but it will be very marginal there as well).

Posted

With the temp holding up (now 2.0C), reports of sleet at 0.3C and the showers showing signs of mostly staying out in the North Sea I've had another change-around. Let the showers arc around Cleadon (and then possibly hit Stockton but it will be very marginal there as well).

Yeah safest bet :lol:

Posted

At least for you Snowstorm1, you got nothing to lose even if this band was rain/sleet for you tonight.

Tomorrow is the day you should be looking out for, surely you will recieve some snow then.

I'm also assuming and hoping as soon as the easterly digs in, the air should turn colder in time for the PPN to arrive around 9-10 onwards(i'm going by the beeb graphics of what time the PPN may arrive).

Posted

Judging by how unlucky you were today it is possible! I seriously doubt you could be that unlucky twice or even 3 times though. I'd give you a 1 in 10 chance.

Hopefully ill get it off lol and going back on tuesday insted of Monday helps me alot and temps now currently temp = 1.8C and Dew Point = -0.4C at 6:49

and thanks GS and i have to say some geordies in here i have alot of respect for and thats hard coming from a smoggie! clap.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Hail and sleet mostly- so don't get too despondent if you miss out on it, it wouldn't give you much.