Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

my brother says he has about a ft of snow towards hexham- he already had about 3-4 inches before all the showers from last fall

Posted

There's no low in the North Sea?? :clap:

What we had i think was the trough that was being predicted by the FAX charts and the reason why the showers are moving the way they are is because there is a kink in the isobars and Teesside and places further east are under a NNW flow at the moment although this should soon change before winds veer more northerly.

Maybe TWS can clear it up better than me, the only low in the north sea would be from that shortwave but that is miles away up north still, no-where near us yet.

Snow is stopping here and skies are brighten up but we did had a good old topping up. :cold: Seeing the sun reflecting off the snow cover will be great too see aswell. Should not be much melt(if any) either as the sun is weak still.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Hello From Newbottle, Sunderland !!!! drinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gif

Heavy snow falling....the kind of snow you can easily make hugh snowballs with!!!!

3.5 inches of snow on the ground already and increasing.

Outside temperature 0.3oC

This winter for me has been superb so far with two great snow fall events

Happy New Year from snowbound Newbottle !!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Light snow again, the radar does show some snow flurries following on from the main thing we've just experienced.

Posted

In Cramlington just measured the snow on top of the car and theres 3in of snow on there and its still snowing but lightly

Temp -0.2c dew -1.9c

Posted

The sun is out and the snow is disappearing before it gets here. JOKE. Massive deep green blob sliding down the Pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Snow has stopped for around 5minuites so far

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Measured the snow depth at Cleadon, and astonishingly, it has reached 17cm level depth! And there was me hoping I might top the 8cm that I haven't seen exceeded since February 1994...

Edit: error in measurement- ruler snapped at one end- should be 12cm.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
inaccurate snow depth

Posted

Measured the snow depth at Cleadon, and astonishingly, it has reached 17cm level depth! And there was me hoping I might top the 8cm that I haven't seen exceeded since February 1994...

Lucky you i had a sugar dusting were is my inch? whistling.gif

Posted

5 inches here and all the roads are shut

Posted

Thats alot of snow!!! I had 6CM here but i'm not entirely sure where you suppose to measure the snow. Does it have to be in an exposed place and does it have to be on the ground or the grass?

Nonetheless, i am inpressed with my 6 or so CM of snow and with more on the way for Saturday(potentially) and next week(potentially), i'm sure i will be able too add to the 6CM of snow. :cold:

Posted

Ian, you're supposed to stick the ruler in the snow, not lie it across the snow.

Posted

Snowing moderately here again :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Oops- the ruler was snapped at one end (just checked) so although the "17" was level with the surface of the snow, it was overstating the depth. The actual depth using the non-snapped end is actually 12cm. Still pretty impressive though!

Posted

Oops- the ruler was snapped at one end (just checked) so although the "17" was level with the surface of the snow, it was overstating the depth. The actual depth using the non-snapped end is actually 12cm. Still pretty impressive though!

Bet you did that on purpose :cold: Still there's 11cm here so you've got more than me :o

Posted

Bet you did that on purpose tongue.gif Still there's 11cm here so you've got more than me smile.gif

11cm! i have a sugar dusting not fair nonono.gif