Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Drive up to sunderland ! biggrin.gif, more like hail showers atm or fine fine snow, im just excited to see further progress in accumulations tomorrow

I cant im 14 lmao when are the temps going to drop a bit so the snow can lay propperly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Just been looking at the high res NMM model on Netweather Extra.

Looks like more snow showers this evening from about 7-8pm for a few hours, then after a break some more heavy showers move in about 8am.

I'm surprised at this as I wasn't expecting too much tonight or in the morning, I thought it was later tomorrow we were getting more.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see how accurate those charts are, I hope they are right!

Tonight...

post-3392-12623569699613_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow morning...

post-3392-12623569777913_thumb.jpg

Posted

I cant im 14 lmao when are the temps going to drop a bit so the snow can lay propperly!

Im quite suprised you havent got it tbh, im right at the coast and we have obviously saw the brunt of the showers. Stockton is a bit to far south last night to have seen very much but that band of heavy ppt looks like heading your way, look at the meto radar to see how far it is from ya, it should give ya a decent spell of snow.

Just been looking at the high res NMM model on Netweather Extra.

Looks like more snow showers this evening from about 7-8pm for a few hours, then after a break some more heavy showers move in about 8am.

I'm surprised at this as I wasn't expecting too much tonight or in the morning, I thought it was later tomorrow we were getting more.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see how accurate those charts are, I hope they are right!

Tonight...

post-3392-12623569699613_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow morning...

post-3392-12623569777913_thumb.jpg

Yep, warning out from metoffice for heavy snow here tonight and tomorrow am :yahoo: bring it on

Posted

ITS RAINING!!!!!¬!! diablo.gifnonono.gifdry.gifaggressive.gifrolleyes.gifmad.giffool.gifcray.gifmega_shok.gifwallbash.gif

Posted

ITS RAINING!!!!!¬!! diablo.gifnonono.gifdry.gifaggressive.gifrolleyes.gifmad.giffool.gifcray.gifmega_shok.gifwallbash.gif

you guys aint hvaing much luck aree you.

its a little warmer here now, but should start to drop back soon

Posted

you guys aint hvaing much luck aree you.

its a little warmer here now, but should start to drop back soon

aINT HAVING MUCH LUCK UNDERSTATEMENT WERE HAVING NO LUCK! wallbash.gif

GOOD THE RAIN HAS STOPPED I WANT SNOW NOW! diablo.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Met Office already have an advisory out for Tuesday!!!

They must be expecting it to be pretty bad, over 20cm for some they say...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/ne_forecast_warnings.html

:)

If they are right no work for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Has now warmed up to 2.8C in Cleadon, giving occasional sleety showers and a slow thaw. Quite unexpected, though the GFS did suggest it in its temperature progs for this evening. I don't think it's because of a pool of warmer upper air. The radar clearly shows that behind those prolonged snow showers that we had until around noon, there is a speckle of light showers moving swiftly from NE to SW, suggesting that the wind has picked up from the NE, warming the coast up. If so, it should be temporary as winds are set to swing to the NW tonight, and tomorrow, while we pick up an easterly, the 850s drop away.

The 12cm was authentic btw- I even took a photograph of the ruler (with the correct, unchipped, side resting on the ground at the bottom of the snow cover) and it extends up to 120mm/12cm. There was only about 10cm at 9am though, with another snow shower shortly after that.

Posted

Tws can you explain my horrific bad luck, I have a sugar melting dusting. Ive also had heavy snow twice what hasnt stuck. plus a rain shower for 5minuites! Im seriously angry diablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Most of the showers fizzled out before they got to you- just the luck of the draw really, though I'm surprised you got as little as you did- there's been a rather uneven distribution of showers today. I'm also surprised none of the snow settled as it didn't have a problem settling up here.

Regarding the rain perhaps you are getting warmed by the sea- this low is slipping south through the North Sea and bringing in a NE'ly that is warming the coast up.

Posted

Most of the showers fizzled out before they got to you- just the luck of the draw really, though I'm surprised you got as little as you did- there's been a rather uneven distribution of showers today.

Regarding the rain perhaps you are getting warmed by the sea- this low is slipping south through the North Sea and bringing in a NE'ly that is warming the coast up.

SHould i have any hope? for example when should i expect some snow ! smile.gif Because atm im very gutted to say the least

Posted

Your best bet is tomorrow evening when the easterly flow fires in and the 850s plummet below -10C. I think tomorrow will start dry and sunny across the region, then showers will fire in off the North Sea. At first, they are likely to be sleety near the coast, while falling as snow inland, but as the cold 850s dig in, it should become falling and lying snow right out to the sea front despite the onshore wind.

Posted

Your best bet is tomorrow evening when the easterly flow fires in and the 850s plummet below -10C. I think tomorrow will start dry and sunny across the region, then showers will fire in off the North Sea. At first, they are likely to be sleety near the coast, while falling as snow inland, but as the cold 850s dig in, it should become falling and lying snow right out to the sea front despite the onshore wind.

So i shouldnt hope for out this evening and i know its going to be dry overnight so nothing tomoz morn and if im lucky tomoz night ill get summet

Posted

So i shouldnt hope for out this evening and i know its going to be dry overnight so nothing tomoz morn and if im lucky tomoz night ill get summet

no body can really say one way or the other the exact location of snow fall, however over the next few days there is snow forecast in our region. You may be lucky you may not.

TWS - someone mention that a warm sector is moving through. which chart can i see this on? how long before it passes do you think? temp has risen to 1.8oC here v quickly.

Posted

Aye, I don't think you'll be getting much this evening- most of the showers will be out at sea. Personally I'm hoping I don't get any more significant shower activity between now and tomorrow morning as the temperatures are going to be marginal- once we lose the onshore wind we pick up -5C 850hPa values (the usual issue- when a shortwave comes on top of us, the low has a warm core).

The warm core will not move through until tomorrow lunchtime but overnight temperatures will fall to around or just below freezing, limiting the extent of any thaw.

Tomorrow afternoon/evening, definite snow.

Posted

So i should expect my dusting to go before tommorrow and then some snow on the evening because atm im very very downbeat i know its not your fault but im very very upset! wallbash.gif

Posted

I've been in Spennymoor for a couple of hours. It is only 7 miles north of me and they have thrice as much snow as me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Temperature is falling here now from a high of 1.6c now down to 0.9c.

I made good use of my snow shovel this morning. Its nice to dig through a decent snow depth. I made the mistake last time of not clearing it off the drive and paths till the morning after. Well it was frozen solid and I could not budge it and it stayed that way for a week, meaning I was slipping everytime I went out.

TWS - are you sure the band of showers currently intensifying to the North is going to be blown out to sea before it gets here?

Posted

Those showers East of Edinburgh are certainly moving in the right direction . If they hit they could add a 1-2 inches.

Edited by snow_mad_09

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Those showers East of Edinburgh are certainly moving in the right direction . If they hit they could add a 1-2 inches.

Or fall as sleet :rolleyes: I'd rather a cold, frosty night to allow the snow cover to crisp up in time for fresh falls over the weekend. But yes if they do hit us and fall as snow 1-2 inches can be expected :drinks:

Posted

Or fall as sleet sad.gif I'd rather a cold, frosty night to allow the snow cover to crisp up in time for fresh falls over the weekend. But yes if they do hit us and fall as snow 1-2 inches can be expected smile.gif

Im hoping them showers come now if its rain or sleet all ive lost is a sugar dusting !

Posted

Or fall as sleet :rolleyes: I'd rather a cold, frosty night to allow the snow cover to crisp up in time for fresh falls over the weekend. But yes if they do hit us and fall as snow 1-2 inches can be expected :drinks:

I think it will be cold enough to fall as snow. Temps are down to 0.4c now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Actually, after running the radar a few times it appears that the showers are rotating round that area of low pressure, and moving away from our region. However, the showers in north Northumberland should cross us but they won't be as intense. Its hard to say though.

I think it will be cold enough to fall as snow. Temps are down to 0.4c now.

1.0ºC here, but falling slowly. I think the dewpoint is about 0ºC, ideally it would be a degree or so lower.

Edited by alza