Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Methuselah

Posted

Looking at the way showers have been grouping in the central North Sea and moving down towards East Anglia I am optimistic about falling out of the pub to watch the fireworks in some snow here in Harwich. I have seen how they tend to fade out due to less convection at night but they do seem to have a bit of persistence this evening.

The Billy a lovely watering hole in North essex

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

just looked on here i haven,t looked out side yet but we got snow showers in our area

Posted

I agree :) but it's New Bell tonight going to bore the arty types with talk of snow and weather models lol.

Posted

Those showers over me on the net weather radar are not of snow they are rain. can anyone confirm ME15/16/14 are getting rain please.

just rain here. No snow.

I never rely on 'precip types' radars as how can they tell what's falling? To my knowledge they just use GFS data from the latest model to predict what is actually falling.

Posted

Hi all, just had a 5 minute moderate snow shower here in north east suffolk . Didnt settle though as its too wet. But wasnt expecting anything tonight . Hopefully we may get a dusting tonight. Happy new year to all . Billy

Posted

I've been watching some of the showers coming into the Wash area over the past few hours and they are fizzling out completely as soon as they get inland. It'd be nice if they pepped up a bit, but I fear they won't get as far as Cambs

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Worst forecasts ever from the beeb , only went to saturday morning :drinks:

Posted

These GFS ensembles are certainly stunning, with below -5C Uppers throughout:

post-10203-12622882927513_thumb.png

And the GFS ensembles are especially stunning for London, as you have to take the Urban heat Island effect into account

post-10203-12622883735613_thumb.png

Posted

Really, does that mean they are uncertain about Sat PM and onwards ? what are your thoughts re developments ?

Very uncertain i'd say , they should've atleast mentioned the possibility even a low one of turning much colder/snow into next week.

Still , all eyes on tonight i guess

Looking at the vondutch radar the process of convection is really kicking off & beginning to converge on East suffolk-

As I think its been highlighted a few times the shower train looks ripe forSuffolk & Central Kent, with the rest getting some sloppy seconds...

I expect to see a covering in the usual kent areas in the morning-

I hope there a little more westerly movement as its NYE & snow falling would be good-

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

<b>Very uncertain i'd say </b>, they should've at least mentioned the possibility even a low one of turning much colder/snow into next week.

Still , all eyes on tonight i guess

Very Uncertain and the whole county replies upon them to take the uncertainty out of the forecast - so they only forcast known unknowns.

As Donald Rumfeld once said

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

:drinks:

Posted

http://www.meteox.nl/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=250&y=221

been looking on the dutch radar seems spme tasty showers coming off the north sea

Guest FireStorm

Hello everyone, happy new year :drinks:

I've found 'rain today' radar to be pretty accurate on precip-type actually.

I'm guessing the shower train Steve Murr refers to would be the one heading towards Clacton on Sea. If so that should be falling as snow, perhaps wet snow? given the temps on xcweather, its about right for Southend on sea but could do with dew points a degree or so lower for better improving snow chance.

But then again perhaps the precip does seem convective so it hits cold landmass and gives snow.

Anyone near these areas able to confirm its type? :drinks:

Posted

Looking at the vondutch radar the process of convection is really kicking off & beginning to converge on East suffolk-

As I think its been highlighted a few times the shower train looks ripe forSuffolk & Central Kent, with the rest getting some sloppy seconds...

I expect to see a covering in the usual kent areas in the morning-

I hope there a little more westerly movement as its NYE & snow falling would be good-

S

Again?? , this really is turning out to be a horrible winter here. Wish i never moved :drinks:

Posted

Again?? , this really is turning out to be a horrible winter here. Wish i never moved :drinks:

don't worry Neil I'm not expecting much if anything at all to settle here. The ground is absolutely soaked from the 25mm of rain on Tuesday and Wednesday. Besides, still falling as rain here sadly.

Edit: DewP is 1.2C so no chance yet

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

http://www.meteox.nl/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=250&y=221

been looking on the dutch radar seems spme tasty showers coming off the north sea

That is what I was looking at earlier but even now here it is snowing - short lived affair according to what is show on closer range radar but at least the car has a covering. Hopefully it will move far enough inland so you see it over there. Must only be 4 miles as the crow flies (albeit a slightly drunken one at this time of year). Current temp 1.2c dp = -0.6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Happy new year when it comes from a Northerner and, lets hope that these stunning charts keep on giving us something to debate in a friendly manner for some time to come.

SS2