Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion - Part 15

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

We've had nothing but rain and sleet this afternoon; yesterday's light cover of snow had all gone by 2pm, even in the shade. Must have been at least 5C this afternoon (couldn't even see my breath outside at one point)- what the hell is going on?? The forecast was for a max of 2 and snow showers.

here at stoke we had alot of snow not far away

Posted

Hi xanadu - you're near me. We have rain right now and temps are too high for snow.

Hi Serendipity. :D

Dewpoints are marginal, and here dewpoint is 0.1°C with temp of 2.8°

Looking at the radar, about where you are is currently the changeover point from rain to snow.

No precipitation here yet, but I see the very dark clouds approaching out the window.

Posted

what do we reckon for tuesday and wednesday? there is a chance of a slow moving front moving down from the north on tuesday night/wednesday, which could give significant accumulations in central areas.

Posted

here at stoke we had alot of snow not far away

I know, was listening to the saga of the York coach on the radio :D . I see it snowed in Ellesmere too, that's even closer and no higher than here. What caused it to be rain/sleet THIS time???

Although we did still record a snow-lying day this morning, but once the sun rose higher I was amazed how mild it became- felt like March the way the snow/ice all vanished.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Wow, what a strange day! Just been to watch Leicester beat Swansea 2-1 which was good :D But through the whole game all that was falling was rain and sleet. I expected any PPN to be snow here today, how wrong I was! It certainly felt cold enough for snow though, it was absolutely bitter out there, so so cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

That trough from the North later isnt going to be much if its like it is now. Much of it is very light or light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

what do we reckon for tuesday and wednesday? there is a chance of a slow moving front moving down from the north on tuesday night/wednesday, which could give significant accumulations in central areas.

not sure the strength of it, but looks good, but maybe rain/sleet or weak too far out yet, wednesday looks good, low to the SE, and ecm looks fantastic for convective snow from the E, gfs has the high further S so dry on gfs for end of week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

That trough from the North later isnt going to be much if its like it is now. Much of it is very light or light.

After it gets torn to pieces by the Pennines and the Peak District I think we will be lucky to get very light, let alone light!

Anyway, another belter ECM for us next week, heavy and frequent snow showers piling in off the North Sea.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

I used to live down the road from you in Baddesley Ensor!

Nice little fish & chip shop in Baddesley :D

Posted

After it gets torn to pieces by the Pennines and the Peak District I think we will be lucky to get very light, let alone light!

Anyway, another belter ECM for us next week, heavy and frequent snow showers piling in off the North Sea.

yeah great ecm, what did you have today? i had sleet then heavy wet snow, slippy out there but temp now rising 0.6C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

yeah great ecm, what did you have today? i had sleet then heavy wet snow, slippy out there but temp now rising 0.6C

Haven't a clue, was visiting family in Birmingham, where it was just cold rain and a bit of sleet!

Very slippy down my road as well, will be an ice rink in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Wow, what a strange day! Just been to watch Leicester beat Swansea 2-1 which was good biggrin.gif But through the whole game all that was falling was rain and sleet. I expected any PPN to be snow here today, how wrong I was! It certainly felt cold enough for snow though, it was absolutely bitter out there, so so cold.

Linz was sent home due to snow a Waltham! wallbash.gif( It has the elevation and always has snow if its offered! unknw.gif )

We had some heavy showers (whilst at work in Oakham) from the Cheshire thang, which probably gave us 2cm but then within half an hour we lost it all to sleet!nonono.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So what areas are still to see lying snow this winter? We had a sprinkling one day but it was less than 0.1cm lol. I would have LOVED my children to have had snow to play in this holiday!

Posted

stoke as snow and more to come tonightdrunk.gif

Posted

So what areas are still to see lying snow this winter? We had a sprinkling one day but it was less than 0.1cm lol. I would have LOVED my children to have had snow to play in this holiday!

Loads here in Buxton

I reckon today we had about 4-5" on top of what was already laying :)

Kind regards,

K Walker

local webcams and info

Edited by keviwal

Posted

Right just looked at the Metoffice reports- Shawbury reached 4.6C this afternoon (so probably was 5 in Shrewsbury) while Leek Thorncliffe was 0.0 at the same time. There is only 30 miles between them and about 220m altitude difference. 4.6C in 200m??? That can't be a normal lapse rate- comes to about 18C per km!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

We've had the same as you, Serendipity - it's so frustrating to see it all around you, isn't it? The fax charts for early Tuesday show a slow moving front coming down the county so I think the midlands should do pretty well from that if it comes off. Hopefully, they'll get their day off school to play out in it.

Posted

So what areas are still to see lying snow this winter?

Buxton and the Northern parts of Derbyshire may have had lying snow, but for the Southern parts of Derbyshire, especialy round the Trent Valley.

My definition of lying snow is a covering, not just a few random flecks lodged in a clump of grass in a green and mud brown field that you have to search for in order to find.

Posted

Right just looked at the Metoffice reports- Shawbury reached 4.6C this afternoon (so probably was 5 in Shrewsbury) while Leek Thorncliffe was 0.0 at the same time. There is only 30 miles between them and about 220m altitude difference. 4.6C in 200m??? That can't be a normal lapse rate- comes to about 18C per km!

Haha, that's about 3 times the average lapse rate, interesting!

Posted

just had a light snow shower here so looks like anything later will be snow

Posted

what do you think about this front coming from the north will it be snow or rain and how far south will it get?cc_confused.gif

Posted

It suddenly makes it really serious, so everyone take care because the way they're talkin, this is serious. I've never seen anything like it

http://null.co.uk/?p=235

Makes it a bit scary really

Take care people

lol that says 5th-6th DECEMBER now that is FI

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

what do you think about this front coming from the north will it be snow or rain and how far south will it get?cc_confused.gif

It doesn't look very exciting! It's not destined for me in the west mids anyway but I think if it carries on losing intensity the east midlands will do well to get even a shower from it! :yahoo: