Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Thing is though, today my maximum is currently -0.7c but the frost/ice/snow has gone in the sun and even the water is evaporating from the road

Your temp reads too low I would`ve thought max of -1.3c here with no thawing on the road in the sun,I`ve been to shrewsbury in the car and normally it`s about 4 or 5c higher to here on the car temp.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Your temp reads too low I would`ve thought max of -1.4c here with no thawing on the road in the sun,I`ve been to shrewsbury in the car and normally it`s about 4 or 5c higher to here on the car temp.

I don't know actually, I have had a max of -0.4c and there has been an extensive melt in the sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

dusting of snow from the mega trough last night, min temp -3.1C, tuesdays trough looks good on bbc, maybe even stafford may see a covering

Posted

I don't know actually, I have had a max of -0.4c and there has been an extensive melt in the sun.

Coldest day here since January 6th or exactly as cold as last february 2nd very snowy. :whistling: day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Mid week doesnt look as good as it was last night now. It seems only Tuesday or Wednesday is our only chance for a small covering. Tbh its looking mainly dry all week with the E having all again. :whistling:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just checking with anyone near me whether they reached anywhere near 3C today ? My thermometer is usually very accurate (part of DVP2 set-up), but 3.1C seems a bit high, particularly when it was recorded just before lunch.

That is too high. Church Lawford near you, and a MO site, has maxed at 1c the same as here in Coventry.

Posted

Max temp today of +0.6c and now down to +0.1c

Just watched the long range forecast on country tracks via iplayer, and to me we could all see

at least a shower, and most with a covering but with the event starting around tuesday still

plenty of time for the finer detail to be nailed. All it takes is a movement 50 miles one way

or the other to make all the difference :)

Posted

A chance of a dusting of snow on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Anything more will be a bonus.

hs2714.jpg

x3zkh5l.jpg

1glslu.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

South Easterners would be out of control with that map for Friday but it will change loads by then...i hope!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

A chance of a dusting of snow on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Anything more will be a bonus.

hs2714.jpg

x3zkh5l.jpg

1glslu.jpg

[/quote the east always get itmad.gifwallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Cold & icy here with most surfaces lethal around the estate I live in. Dread to think how much fun the return to work (on my bike) will be tomorrow - it'll be bad enough anyway going back to work without falling off my bike (again!). Some decent snowfall would at least give some traction - all we've had this winter so far is a light covering that melts and refreezes into this awful ice.

Posted

Looking like a very cold night tonight, already below -1c here and the sun hasn't set yet!

Posted

South Easterners would be out of control with that map for Friday but it will change loads by then...i hope!

they might get up to a ft :lol:

we have been unlucky...

maybe Feb will be our time

Edited by dogs32

Dread to think how much fun the return to work (on my bike) will be tomorrow - it'll be bad enough anyway going back to work without falling off my bike (again!). Some decent snowfall would at least give some traction - all we've had this winter so far is a light covering that melts and refreezes into this awful ice

Well it could be alot worse bottesford, if we had the usual january atlantic storms a strong gust of wind might blow you into something and you would get absolutely drenched, at least tomorrow will start sunny and dry with great visibility, i'm sure its alot better than cycling in gloomy, wet and windy conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Guess the thing is that the midlands is one of the least snow prone areas as we're so far from the sea. Often it's only SWlys that have the power to push heavy frontal precip this far inland - and they're usually too mild for snow unless it bashes into a block of existing cold air. Easterlies can do the job if they're unstable and strong enough - otherwise we're just left with low cloud (which, thank the lord, hasn't been something I've seen to much of this year).

Posted

post-6740-12625337255813_thumb.png

Bit more like it

Still the same story a few hours later, this is the run i believe we would need to see some snow this week.

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted

Well it could be alot worse bottesford, if we had the usual january atlantic storms a strong gust of wind might blow you into something and you would get absolutely drenched, at least tomorrow will start sunny and dry with great visibility, i'm sure its alot better than cycling in gloomy, wet and windy conditions.

Yes its certainly better than being soaked and miserable! But I've already been off the bike once this winter due to black ice and it's ruddy painful - so nice as the scenery will be, I'll be looking at my feet/wheels and taking twice as long to get to work in doing so. Frost, ice days, lying snow and great visibility - yes; compacted ice - no!

Posted

suprised by the lack of posts in here, 12z is the best gfs run we have had for snow potential in over 2weeks imo. Cold isnt a concern, tues into wedsnesday looks alot better, friday onwards a strong easterly which despite gfs precip charts id expect showers to push far inland. Id go as far as to say the high on friday is perfectly positioned for snow showers in the midlands. Im banking this run.

To make this run perfect a retrogression back to greenland of the high would probably sustain the cold weather the longest imo. Then we can do the same all over again.

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted

12z is great for the south and east of our region, not so for the north and west. We need that low over the weekend to budge around 100 miles further north!

The 12z is an improvement though, as it has indeed moved everything further north west, continue that please GFS!

Edited by nick2702