Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

have a look nout the window Nickyahoo.gif

Bloody hell! It's throwing it down lmao.

Didn't have a clue, thanks for telling me that, it's proper heavy!

Posted

No probs was sitting here watching Nitro Circus and the missus said its was snowing so I thought I,d try and beat you to it loldrinks.gif

Posted

Oh crap, I just got up and looked out of the window too and it's snowing here as well!!! :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

No probs was sitting here watching Nitro Circus and the missus said its was snowing so I thought I,d try and beat you to it loldrinks.gif

Unfortunately my room is at the back of the house so I can't see the lamp post!

Posted

Must be a bad omen if its snowing where you are and not here!!laugh.gif

time for bed me thinks and wake up with a frost covering (i hope)

Posted

i've sorted it, me and a load of midlanders have got together with shovels and spades and dug up the southeast and piled it onto the coast of france....this is our new Britain where we are now the southeast!!!!

GOD BLESS THE NEW SOUTHEAST!!! :shok::yahoo::rofl: :lol:

briatinwithoutsoutheat.gif

If we were to continue with digging up the rest of the UK with the exception of the Midlands we would get all of the weather all of the time........ works for me :shok:

Posted

Oh crap, I just got up and looked out of the window too and it's snowing here as well!!! :shok:

How was it there? In my part of Nuneaton it was not even enough to give a visible dusting, and if I had not known when to look by using the radar, I would of missed it as it was very brief. Actually tonights radar was painful viewing, everything that was heading in my direction started fading away once it got as far as Leicester.

Posted

How was it there? In my part of Nuneaton it was not even enough to give a visible dusting, and if I had not known when to look by using the radar, I would of missed it as it was very brief. Actually tonights radar was painful viewing, everything that was heading in my direction started fading away once it got as far as Leicester.

It's stopped here now, but don't worry, I ran around and caught ever single one in a jam jar.

I'm gonna put it in the freezer now so I can show my grandchildren "the great blizzard" :shok:

Posted

Unfortunately my room is at the back of the house so I can't see the lamp post!

The house we just moved into has a lamppost right outside lol. When my mum came to visit she asked if the light was annoying as it would annoy her!! Having the lamppost outside was one of the first things I noticed when we looked at the house so when I told her not really as it suited my hobby she just shook her head at me in disbelief lol. wallbash.gif

Posted

Well last post from me before i hit the sack lazy.gif

Overall a poor day for us in Northants , precip all day to our NNE and then tonight to our N.

The only time we had heavy precip over us NOTHING fell from it.

If that is not a severe kick to the testicles then i dont know what is!!

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

It's stopped here now, but don't worry, I ran around and caught ever single one in a jam jar.

I'm gonna put it in the freezer now so I can show my grandchildren "the great blizzard" :)

:)

Actually when I had another look it was snowing again but so lightly that it was hard to tell even by lamppost. It made last nights dusting seem like a big event by comparison. I should have known nothing impressive would happen whilst I was on holiday, maybe the local snow rationing will end when I go back to work.

Posted

yet again nothing more than a dusting for parts of leicestershire. Im becoming very downbeat about any snow prospects this winter. Things always look good up until a few hours away. Its either not cold enough for snow or its cold enough but theres no ppn about or the models predict a few cm,s then it fiizles out as it gets here. Im sorry ive tryed to stay positive recently but im beginning to think our lucks not going to change this winter despite the great synoptics.

A piece of advice never trust the gfs percipitation forcasts at all during these cold spells, its absolutely useless.

light sleet falling here , o joy

Posted

i've sorted it, me and a load of midlanders have got together with shovels and spades and dug up the southeast and piled it onto the coast of france....this is our new Britain where we are now the southeast!!!!

GOD BLESS THE NEW SOUTHEAST!!! :lol: :):) :lol:

briatinwithoutsoutheat.gif

That's Ok for East Midlanders, but it leaves me in the southWEST! Why spare Lincolnshire and those counties that I think of as being south-eastern even if their inhabitants don't always (Northants, Beds, Bucks, Oxon). Chop off everything south and east of a line from the Cotswolds to the Humber and then we're talking :)

Posted

Well, a bit of a break from radar watching for a couple of days now. Not that its been that worth it so far, before xmas and after xmas.

I remember eading somewhere once that even during some of Britian's snowiest and harshest winters there were still parts that missed out. I can't help thinking of that right now and thinking about us here in the West Midlands. And even in Stourbridge with a few light dustings here and there i've done better than other locations.

Chin up, theres always February 2007, April 2008 and earlly February 2009. 3 years in a row we've had decent snow events. Maybe its just not our turn this time!

However, I am enjoying these very frosty big old sunrises every morning at the moment!

See you all again for the next potential fall of snow!

Posted

That's Ok for East Midlanders, but it leaves me in the southWEST! Why spare Lincolnshire and those counties that I think of as being south-eastern even if their inhabitants don't always (Northants, Beds, Bucks, Oxon). Chop off everything south and east of a line from the Cotswolds to the Humber and then we're talking diablo.gif

We are not in the SE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wallbash.gif

Posted

That's Ok for East Midlanders, but it leaves me in the southWEST! Why spare Lincolnshire and those counties that I think of as being south-eastern even if their inhabitants don't always (Northants, Beds, Bucks, Oxon). Chop off everything south and east of a line from the Cotswolds to the Humber and then we're talking :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Midlands

A very light snizzle falling here, been an unlucky day radar wise.

Posted

Well, a bit of a break from radar watching for a couple of days now. Not that its been that worth it so far, before xmas and after xmas.

I remember eading somewhere once that even during some of Britian's snowiest and harshest winters there were still parts that missed out. I can't help thinking of that right now and thinking about us here in the West Midlands. And even in Stourbridge with a few light dustings here and there i've done better than other locations.

Chin up, theres always February 2007, April 2008 and earlly February 2009. 3 years in a row we've had decent snow events. Maybe its just not our turn this time!

However, I am enjoying these very frosty big old sunrises every morning at the moment!

See you all again for the next potential fall of snow!

Typically it was western coastal areas I think that missed out in the likes of 1947 and 1963, not the Midlands. (April 2008 btw was a non-event here and Feb 2009 half-decent at best). It certainly isn't typical for the NW, Scotland, much of Wales and the east to all get plenty of snow but the West Midlands not- we've even missed the worst cold this time which is certainly not normal (distance from the sea usually makes it one of the colder areas).

1995-6 was interesting as it was the southeast that mostly missed out (remarkable considering how many easterlies there were that winter) while the Midlands and NW did well.

Posted

Still snizzling tiny snow flakes very lightly here, they are floating down quite slowly and at times get bigger and slightly heavier though it would take

a year to get 1cm at this rate.

Posted

What??? You'd be nowhere near the South West! And even if Dorset did have an east coast (as suggested by that map), we are still South Western! And bear in mind, South Westerners are not nearly as obnoxious as those east of the New Forest!

I would say cut off everything in a line as you'd say for a country would make me happy (provided I'm south of it), but we'd have to put up with the insufferable South Easterners! :) Thank God there's a Facebook group for us South Westerners, 4 Counties, 1 Country! :acute:

And to emulate Mackerel Sky...Lincolnshire is really South East? REALLY? http://en.wikipedia....th_Lincolnshire :ph34r:

this better guys? :lol:

briatinwithoutsoutheat2.gif

It looks like someone HAS seen the Facebook group I mentioned! Ahhh, that would be bliss! No South Easterners, no northerners... :drinks:

We still wouldn't get any snow, so your map still is wrong! :acute:

EDIT: Your map is still wrong, you've wiped out everything between BH31 and DT11 (east to west) and SP7 to BH19 (north to south), which, last time I checked, were in the South West! Please rectify this immediately! :blink: :shok::cray: :lol:

Edited by butler_son

Posted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Midlands

A very light snizzle falling here, been an unlucky day radar wise.

"The highest point in the region is Kinder Scout, in the Derbyshire Peak District at 2,088 ft (636 m)."

Sorry government/EU etc, Kinder Scout is in the North of England, end of. It's between Manchester and Sheffield for heaven's sake!

As for Northants, well I have relatives living in east Northants (near Raunds) and that to me is East Anglia, without a doubt- Cambridgeshire is 5 miles up the road and they're surrounded by fens.

Posted

Its actually raining here right now.

Talk about a massive smack in the face!

Posted

By the way, ditch the fizzy apple juice, that you know as Strongbow, and sup a pint of the west country cloudy stuff! LOLrofl.gif

Cheers all.

I miss the South West thread...can you send me some Winkleigh (OK, that's Devon), some Thatchers (the rough stuff) and some Somerset Cider Brandy? I miss it... :)