Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I feel like James Bond after reading the Model thread with all that ramping. (reminds me of ski jumping)

Words like worst storm ever for SE and Central England between 7th - 12th January.

Haven't we heard all this before and nothing ever happened in years gone by.

Thats why i'm refusing to even go near that thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Could you please tell me whats being said in the model thread nick.

I'm guessing IF this comes off that the south east will get streamer after streamer.

But the posters in that thread dont say anything about the server snow our region could get.

Lmao, well there was Steve Murr getting a tad too excited at this chart, which I think you might find interesting:

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-2-162.png?18

Other than that it's the usual "the south east will get cut off for 6 months" crap. Even so, it is still a cracking run for the Midlands.

And here is an excellent quote from Ian Fergusson (the BBC forecaster) in the model thread, the most sensible post I have seen in there for days:

9th January 2010 might as well be 9 March 2011. It's miles away. So much shortwave detail to bother about on a day to day basis, let alone the goodness-knows-how-many-days-ahead blarf.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

I'd like 6 feet of snow to arrive in birmingham on sunday night and for it to remain for a couple of weeks (I'd like an extended xmas break - don't want to go back to work on monday!!!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Not much, but Andy, it`s a start to an extremely positive week !drinks.gif

Hope so :lol:

I don't want to bring my personal problems into this thread but my Grandad is still in hospital and has been there for 6 weeks now, this house has had no heating or hot water since the start of October and it is so cold! Fortunatly though we have a gas fire in the living room which keeps it warm and I have a convector heater for my bedroom but the rest of the house is FREEZING. Hopefully getting it fixed in mid Jan but there is so much stress I am feeling with my Grandad being in hospital and having to look after my Grandma aswell as the house being freezing, very difficult :clap:

Much more important things in life than snow of course but I would love to see a bit of snow though :)

Posted

Lmao, well there was Steve Murr getting a tad too excited at this chart, which I think you might find interesting:

http://91.121.94.83/...fs-2-162.png?18

Other than that it's the usual "the south east will get cut off for 6 months" crap. Even so, it is still a cracking run for the Midlands.

And here is an excellent quote from Ian Fergusson (the BBC forecaster) in the model thread, the most sensible post I have seen in there for days:

That is a very good chart with a strong easterly that would bring server weather for us in the MIDS.unsure.gif

good post from Ian!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Those South Easterners are in for alot of dissapointment at this rate. Watch it happen-it could be fun. :clap:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Hope so smile.gif

I don't want to bring my personal problems into this thread but my Grandad is still in hospital and has been there for 6 weeks now, this house has had no heating or hot water since the start of October and it is so cold! Fortunatly though we have a gas fire in the living room which keeps it warm and I have a convector heater for my bedroom but the rest of the house is FREEZING. Hopefully getting it fixed in mid Jan but there is so much stress I am feeling with my Grandad being in hospital and having to look after my Grandma aswell as the house being freezing, very difficult sad.gif

Much more important things in life than snow of course but I would love to see a bit of snow though smile.gif

Stay positive matey..drunk.gif However on a downside this isn`t the BIG ONE !! It`s just fluffy shizzle that`s blown on the wind ,

don`t get your hopes upph34r.gif Will pm you soon, M.

Posted

Those South Easterners are in for alot of dissapointment at this rate. Watch it happen-it could be fun. :clap:

I know it sounds horrible, but I hope that it goes catastrophically wrong for them while we get all the fun, that would serve them right for clogging up the model thread with their ramping rubbish! :lol:

Posted

Hope so smile.gif

I don't want to bring my personal problems into this thread but my Grandad is still in hospital and has been there for 6 weeks now, this house has had no heating or hot water since the start of October and it is so cold! Fortunatly though we have a gas fire in the living room which keeps it warm and I have a convector heater for my bedroom but the rest of the house is FREEZING. Hopefully getting it fixed in mid Jan but there is so much stress I am feeling with my Grandad being in hospital and having to look after my Grandma aswell as the house being freezing, very difficult sad.gif

I wish you the very best of luck Andy!!!

I once (25 years ago) lived with my grandparents and it was not easy with no heating or a bath just the sink

deffo know what you are going through pal.

Posted

That is a very good chart with a strong easterly that would bring server weather for us in the MIDS

I need a bit of snow to warm up my server. :clap:

Posted

I wish you the very best of luck Andy!!!

I once (25 years ago) lived with my grandparents and it was not easy with no heating or a bath just the sink

deffo know what you are going through pal.

Thank you mate I appreciate that :lol: I know I act like a plonker sometimes and i'm usually joking around and trying to be mr comedian but really I don't mean no harm :) Just try and make people laugh, especially with my LE3 snow shield joke and melting Nicks snow with my Cannock and surrounding areas sized hairdryer :clap:

Ahhh dear, I think up some crazy things!

Also... Echobase aka Mark... Thank you aswell :) Will go and check your PM out now.

Posted

Andy - Hope alls ok.

Has just started drizzly sleet here and very very small flakes of snow! will give it 10mins and go have another look, though by then it will have probably gone, knowing my luck!!!

Posted

Hope so :)

I don't want to bring my personal problems into this thread but my Grandad is still in hospital and has been there for 6 weeks now, this house has had no heating or hot water since the start of October and it is so cold! Fortunatly though we have a gas fire in the living room which keeps it warm and I have a convector heater for my bedroom but the rest of the house is FREEZING. Hopefully getting it fixed in mid Jan but there is so much stress I am feeling with my Grandad being in hospital and having to look after my Grandma aswell as the house being freezing, very difficult :D

Much more important things in life than snow of course but I would love to see a bit of snow though :)

I know what you mean matey, last night our house upstairs got down to 3'c it's not fun :D:D

Must be hell for you guys at the minute and the worst is yet to come, have you got any plans for the cold spell?

Posted

Yes, some very slight snow falling in my part of Stoke now. Must be the very back edge of the trough. Won't amount to anything & it's pretty nasty outside with the remnants of this afternoon's snow/slush freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Where did that precipitation just south of Swindon come from? Nothing but cold rain filtered past me, fizzled out and then decided to regenerate for them down south!

I think I did something REALLY bad in a former life...

I will crack a strongbow open for you Andy.............you grandparents sound very lucky to have you!! You are a credit to them and to this board!!!

Lets hope we get a bit if snow tonight in leics/derbys just 2cm would be enough for me and my little boy to go sledgin!!

Fingers crossed we should find out very shortly

Thank you mate I appreciate that smile.gif I know I act like a plonker sometimes and i'm usually joking around and trying to be mr comedian but really I don't mean no harm smile.gif Just try and make people laugh, especially with my LE3 snow shield joke and melting Nicks snow with my Cannock and surrounding areas sized hairdryer biggrin.gif

Also... Echobase aka Mark... Thank you aswell smile.gif Will go and check your PM out now.

Posted

Thank you mate I appreciate that :) I know I act like a plonker sometimes and i'm usually joking around and trying to be mr comedian but really I don't mean no harm :) Just try and make people laugh, especially with my LE3 snow shield joke and melting Nicks snow with my Cannock and surrounding areas sized hairdryer :D

Also... Echobase aka Mark... Thank you aswell :) Will go and check your PM out now.

I blame the Strongbow...

Seriously though mate, hope everything turns out alright for you in the end :D

Not horrible at all! I'd take great pleasure from seeing their hopes crash and burn. Most of them don't even know what the hell is going on. Others make every upcoming south east snow event to be like The Day After Tomorrow'. I'm surprised they haven't started discussing North sea tidal surges from that gale force easterly.

:D

It's a shame we don't have a TEITS or a Steve Murr of the Midlands, somebody who knows what they are talking about and ramps occasionally, especially for their own area.

As long as we get a decent amount of snow I don't care what the south east gets, but if they get nothing that will be even better!

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Not horrible at all! I'd take great pleasure from seeing their hopes crash and burn. Most of them don't even know what the hell is going on. Others make every upcoming south east snow event to be like The Day After Tomorrow'. I'm surprised they haven't started discussing North sea tidal surges from that gale force easterly.

That really did make me laugh out loud!

Here its endless cloud keeping the temp at 1.3C. Rather it bugger off so it can drop to -6C or sowhistling.gif

Posted

Thank you beccaboo :D

Cyclonic... Plans for the cold spell? Enjoy seeing it snow hopefully :D My Grandma is coping fine at the moment thankfully because she spends most her time in the living room where its nice and warm from the gas fire. It's just a pain because the rest of the house is very cold and no hot water is an absolute nightmare. I like to be clean like any 21 year old guy would and I have to fill up the bath with kettles and saucepans full of boiling water haha. Takes around 30 mins to get the bath with just enough water to cover my legs.

Must not complain though, I am here and alive and I have all my facultys so what more could I ask for :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A nice little dusting of snow here during a passing shower....Will probably get a thin covering from that trough pushing down from the NE...The peaks are leaching the snow out of it as it drifts SW, but like I said, should leave a generous dusting :)

Posted

Where did that precipitation just south of Swindon come from? Nothing but cold rain filtered past me, fizzled out and then decided to regenerate for them down south!

I think I did something REALLY bad in a former life...

It seems to be showers from Bristol intensified where the NE and NW winds joined up.

I am no expert, but that's what I saw on rewind of the radar.

Posted

Tbh the SE is going to get hammered in the coming week, so quite right to be ramping it up.