Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

This cold spell is a big disappointment so far.

Unless it snows more than 6 centimetres this week, we may as well just have mild SW'lys.

Edit..Even 1cm would be nice.

Edited by xanadu

Posted

Shropshire has been awful in the way of snow. 1cm at best since December and that was gone by morning. I hate how those who've done better still moan that they've done worse withour checking

Also, what's happened, where's all the snow gone

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wm/shrewsbury_forecast_weather.html

Don't worry, i'm sure you hard up easteners will be fine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Still NO snow apart from a dusting that barely covered the ground in December. If we don't get any snow here during this spell, I will be gutted.

Posted

Radar shows some snow showers comiming in from the North Sea.

Wind direction shows it's possible we could see a light flurry later if they have not fizzled out by the time they reach the Birmingham area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Let's just hope Andy doesn't see this debate about geographical regions, don't get him started whatever you do :whistling:

And it looks like the cold spell is going to be cold and dry for us, as it was predicted a few days ago:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wm/wm_forecast_weather.html

Posted

This cold spell is a big disappointment so far.

Unless it snows more than 6 centimetres this week, we may as well just have mild SW'lys.

Edit..Even 1cm would be nice.

Lets not forget that we have only just left December behind, with the best snow over recent years coming in the later part of winter.

However, I would much rather cold and frosty mornings (albeit snowless ones) than mild sw'lys any day.

Worth remembering as well...we do live in England, not in the Nordics. Snowfall is not overly common here, especially weeks on end of snow flurries and lying snow.

Last time I was optamistic, it snow. So, what do we think of these showers, streaming in perhaps

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Looks interesting, and METO picking up on some of those showers too. Thats the great thing about the weather...sometimes you can get a nice little surprise :wacko:

Let's just hope Andy doesn't see this debate about geographical regions, don't get him started whatever you do :whistling:

And it looks like the cold spell is going to be cold and dry for us, as it was predicted a few days ago:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wm/wm_forecast_weather.html

Lets not forget though Nick, if anything is going to happen on Tuesday, due to its complexity and unknown parameters, I would not expect an update to these until at least tomorrow afternoon.

Yesterdays now streamers were not added until a few hours before hand.

Posted

I was very surprised yesterday morning. Excellent snow showers that covered everything - unfortunately it turned sleety in the afternoon, so most of it melted. Very cold this morning.

Yup, same story here.

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

Bear in mind that the MO did not issue a heavy snow warning until 45 MINUTES before the snow came to Derbyshire...

Posted

Well the Met Office continues to leave Leicestershire and other areas of the Midlands out of the warning zone for next week . The Tv forecasters are now saying Tuesday will be rain/sleet/snow as appose to just Snow . All in all another crap week for my area by the look of the current situation.

Posted

Well the Met Office continues to leave Leicestershire and other areas of the Midlands out of the warning zone for next week . The Tv forecasters are now saying Tuesday will be rain/sleet/snow as appose to just Snow . All in all another crap week for my area by the look of the current situation.

I think the ridiculous level of ramping in the model thread falsely got our hopes up. See what the Country Tracks forecasts says though first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Morning peeps :wacko: Well I think i am over the worst from last night lol. Having a 4 days out of date quiche clearly was a bad idea!

I have to say in regards to the BBC and MET forecasting rain/sleet/snow for next week... They could well be right about that. Yesterday they forecast sleet for my area and sleet it did. I expected snow and thought they would be wrong but I was the one who was wrong :unknw:

Posted

Well unless there's a dramatic U-turn by the models, i think I'm looking at 4-6 days of bone-chilling cold and 2-3 days of snow flurries.

Shouldn't complain really, far better than mild, Atlantic mush !!!

Posted

Morning peeps :fool: Well I think i am over the worst from last night lol. Having a 4 days out of date quiche clearly was a bad idea!

I have to say in regards to the BBC and MET forecasting rain/sleet/snow for next week... They could well be right about that. Yesterday they forecast sleet for my area and sleet it did. I expected snow and thought they would be wrong but I was the one who was wrong :unknw:

Lmao, you tart :wacko:

Anybody see the Country Tracks forecast?! Was a right snowy ramp!

Posted

lets just face it. once again, we seem too far west for all the fun and games in east anglia in the south east. gotta love tomasz at the end, now i dont want you to panic. dont worry mate, i wasnt, we live in the midlands after all :)

Posted

Hi All and Happy New Year

Been reading for quite some time but not posting.

Totally confused about this cold spell and snow, whats likely to affect my part of the midlands, any have any idea ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Lmao, you tart :)

Anybody see the Country Tracks forecast?! Was a right snowy ramp!

Nick if you look at the UKMO charts on Meteociel they looks great for snow on Tuesday. 0c temps over Midlands for 1pm, -7 upper air aswell and quite a nice lot of PPN!

Posted

Well my view on Tuesday that it will either fizzle out before it gets here or we will get mild sectored again and it will rain. At best it will snow but it'll be moving so fast it'll just leave a dusting.

That seems to be the form so far this winter here.

Posted

Nick if you look at the UKMO charts on Meteociel they looks great for snow on Tuesday. 0c temps over Midlands for 1pm, -7 upper air aswell and quite a nice lot of PPN!

As long as it doesn't stick around until the following Tuesday I don't mind, if my driving test has to be moved for the 4th time (this has been going on since November) I will seriously cry!

I don't like Tuesdays, hopefully it will be enough for a snow day....

Posted

Well my view on Tuesday that it will either fizzle out before it gets here or we will get mild sectored again and it will rain. At best it will snow but it'll be moving so fast it'll just leave a dusting.

That seems to be the form so far this winter here.

lol good logic, seems to have been the way of winter 09!

Posted

I thought weather for the week ahead was on just before 12 .. they seem to keep changeing it. Have I missed it ?

Looks like I missed it too :) maybe someone has recorded it and will put it on you tube :)

Posted

I thought weather for the week ahead was on just before 12 .. they seem to keep changeing it. Have I missed it ?

It is and was, always has been at 11.45ish, been that way for as long as I can remember!

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Looks like I missed it too :) maybe someone has recorded it and will put it on you tube :help:

It'll be on BBC I-player todays Country Tracks at 45 minutes or so in.

In summary, most of midlands (except the east) was snowless for most of the whole forecast!!

Edited by kar999

Posted

Personally I still think there is a risk of snow in the early hours of tuesday morning. Timing will be critical because the later it comes through the more chance it will turn to rain. The other risk is that the frontal system will fizzle out by the time it reaches us, as it will have dumped most of its snow further north.

Dewpoints look favourable with slightly marginal wet bulb temperatures.

850hpa temperatures are below -5 degrees C and the zero degree isotherm is not much more than 100 meters above the surface.

Winds are almost directly north so we won't benefit from moisture in the irish sea or get a cheshire gap effect with precipitation looking rather weak.

Still at the moment there is still a risk of some snow, mainly for the north east midlands.

One of the pecularities of the GFS model is that it will tend to downgrade any snow risk the day before the event only to upgrade slightly within the last 12 hours. This I attribute to two factors, the first being more acurate readings being available and the second with GFS having a bit of weakness with inland temperatures in maritime areas. The NMM model runs tommorow will be key.

As for Wednesday then it looks more like a south coast event.

Edited by BrickFielder