Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

As for Northants, well I have relatives living in east Northants (near Raunds) and that to me is East Anglia, without a doubt- Cambridgeshire is 5 miles up the road and they're surrounded by fens.

But adminstrative boundaries have to be drawn somewhere - plus the local media always refer to this area as the East Midlands! The Fens start east of the A1... the Rockingham Forest in East Northants between here and Stamford is quite rolling countryside.

Anyway, that's all well and good, but wintery precipitation on Saturday was at a bit of a premium to say the least here. I spent most of the afternoon traipsing around IKEA in Milton Keynes with a pram. Should have checked MK Dons were playing at home first... (against Burnley) - a 50 minute journey took best part of 2 hours.

There are some decent looking showers coming in around the Wash - Hunstanton area, but I suspect these will die out once they get to Peterborough. Peterborough used to be in Northamptonshire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soke_of_Peterborough and although admistratively it is in Cambridgeshire, it is considered more widely part of the East Midlands!

We'll be onto the local government reform act 1974 shortly. Don't even get me started there, my home town spent an unfortunate period between 1974-1996 in Cleveland before it was abolished and returned to North Yorkshire.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Anyone got any tips on what to take to calm your stomach? I've just been sick twice and i'm shakey and I feel like death. Hope I haven't got that winter vomiting bug :)

Posted

Anyone got any tips on what to take to calm your stomach? I've just been sick twice and i'm shakey and I feel like death. Hope I haven't got that winter vomiting bug :)

Dry toast, sip water slowly. Next question! :)

Posted

Best to let it out mate, rather than keep it in. Just make sure you sip some water to prevent becoming

dehydrated :)

I'm not a doctor, though, so don't take my word for it, or try to sue me :)

Posted

Thanks guys :) Just been sick again lol, 3rd time in 20 minutes now, feel absolutely awful.

Flat coke might help. Plain old water and some heartburn relief, ranitidine tablets if you've got some, should help control the stomach acid if its that sort of sick - once you've got most of it up. That's what I think my wife would suggest and she's a nurse. Then something simple on the tummy - like toast as mentioned.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Thanks guys :) Just been sick again lol, 3rd time in 20 minutes now, feel absolutely awful.

Sounds like what I had before leaving Nottingham for the hols in December, we had a sickness bug going round here. Threw up 3 times in the morning (once after just standing up). Didn't eat for 12 hours. Trick is to sip water slowly more than anything, and if you do want to eat, make sure it's carbohydrate based, like rice, pasta or, as I suggested earlier, dry toast.

Another left field choice is flat Coke. Full sugar. Again, you'd have to sip slowly, but it is supposed to be a stomach settler.

Posted

Haha you both suggested flat coke :) I have never heard that one before, thats an interesting one! I think it's likely to be some sort of bug, I'm not just being sick but i'm feeling rough all over. Achey etc...

I'm sipping some water now, I feel like i'm going to be sick again in a minute though.

Posted

Hey Andy - don't mean to put a downer on it, but do you have a temperature? - Swine flu's still about.

Posted

*edited because it was kinky*

Ahem...yeaaa...I think you should call the doctor in the morning.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Also whats all this stuff I hear about Raunds? Raunds , Rushden, Wellingborough - they're all in East Anglia. Or at least they were when that knight in shining armour used to spin around on the TV before programmes.

Posted

Hey Andy - don't mean to put a downer on it, but do you have a temperature? - Swine flu's still about.

Nope not really, just keep being sick :lol:

Posted

Like previous posters I'm no doctor. Sounds like a stomach bug. Let it come out but keep yourself hydrated. Hope you get better for the possible fun and games next week!

Edited by kumquat

Posted

Also whats all this stuff I hear about Raunds? Raunds , Rushden, Wellingborough - they're all in East Anglia. Or at least they were when that knight in shining armour used to spin around on the TV before programmes.

We get Anglia and Central East here. Since the cost cutting for regional news on ITV, the Anglia News now comes from Norwich rather than Cambridge. Norwich is 105 miles away... East Anglia must a bloody big place then... Scun thorpe is as close. And anyway, I was watching the Central weather the other day and they had Wellingborough on their map.

Although granted, there was a naff police drama made by Anglia TV in the 1970s, which had Ruth Madoc (offa Hi-de-hi fame) called 'Hunters Walk', filmed in and around Rushden. 37 episodes they made, still waiting for it to get repeated on ITV4.

I'm not even from around here, I'm from North Yorks, yet I know this useless information.

A quick lampost watch reveals about 1 snowflake per minute currently falling. And in this day an age, now the darts have just finished when exactly do the BBC think that it is time to stop showing 'pages from CEEFAX'. Yes lovely background music, but its not entertainment.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Hi mackerel, I think we might have had this conversation before lol. Seeing somebody from Rushden and (Wordsworth?) in the same post make me hark back to my childhood days in Wellingborough in the 70s/80s. I think you're right. Peterborough and Cambridge not all that far away but Norwich is a million miles. Must be right on the border of South Central / East Anglia / East Midlands .... not easy to define really. Now I live in Bristol they (down here) think I have a London accent. When I speak to my old mates in Welly / Northampton they sound Brummy! A real mixed bag lol

edit: Maybe call it West Anglia? smile.gif

Edited by kumquat

Posted

edit: Maybe call it West Anglia? smile.gif

Nah you've got to draw the line somewhere. We have the East Midlands ambulances here and we can pick up all the East Midlands media. The local paper and radio station refer to North Northamptonshire as the Midlands, it is in the East Midlands European Parlimentary Constituency. Mind you, before I switched jobs early last year I was working 18 miles away in some offices in a village just outside Newport Pagnell. On my commute, technically I passed through three regions - the East Midlands (East Northants), East of England (North Beds), East Midlands (Wellinborough) and into south-east England (Milton Keynes). So where I live is on the periphery administratively, but geographically you be hard pressed to describe as anywhere other than the Midlands.

The administrative/Euro Parlimentary areas are exactly what the MetOffice use also.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

hehe all good - wasn't Olney was it? anyway have you had any snow in Rushden?

It was Sherington, between Olney and Newport Pagnell! I've just been watching a very few flakes falling, dregs from the Wash. We had a good week before Christmas with about 5 inches falling overnight on the 17th/18th and an inch here or there upto Christmas Eve on a couple of nights. Stayed on the ground all week though. Some wet snow in the early hours of Christmas Day and a total thaw, then a short lived few cm's early on the 29th. Other than a few very very light snow showers, nothing remarkable really since Christmas itself. Nothing yet to match the first two weeks of February, that's my East Northants benchmark now.

Posted

Rushden is a funny one with regards to location, I see it as East Mids.

I used to drive through 3 counties to get to work, despite it only being a 12 mile drive.

Anyway, first post been viewing this forum for a few years and decided to register since we seem to be in quite an interesting cold spell. If it is anything like Feb 09 here I will be delighted.:lol:

Posted

Welcome to another Rushdenian? lol. Yes a good time to get stuck in at the moment. I'm now in the South West but like to give warnings to my mum and nan in Wellingborough, so good to keep an eye in here. Used to work in Portland Road Rushden so have a little soft spot for it.drinks.gif

Posted

Well, having a quick scout around on the thread, looks like the west of the region did best again last night (strange how the west does best, yet the moans are louder from over there :girl_devil:)

Snowed from 23.00 to 23.30 last night (fell asleep after that to be honest). Only light to moderate, but with the wet floor, it wasn't heavy/long enough to settle.

Still, have woken up to a cold and frosty morning...the next best thing :whistling:

Still looking interesting next week, with Sky News picking up the potential. METO Warnings are still more the the East and SE of the country.

But seriously, who knows how its going to pan out in terms of PPN. Still quite some time before the projections, so expect some twists and turns still.

Interesting the the GFS Op picks up on the mid-week fun, but support is low from the other members. From the last few spells, the GFS and GEFS ensembles have been rather poor in the <T+36 period, more especially, the Op run (-5oc 850's on New Years Eve (was more around -2 to -3oC), and ppn projection for last night was also wrong)).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well, having a quick scout around on the thread, looks like the west of the region did best again last night (strange how the west does best, yet the moans are louder from over there :yahoo:)

Snowed from 23.00 to 23.30 last night (fell asleep after that to be honest). Only light to moderate, but with the wet floor, it wasn't heavy/long enough to settle.

Still, have woken up to a cold and frosty morning...the next best thing :cold:

Still looking interesting next week, with Sky News picking up the potential. METO Warnings are still more the the East and SE of the country.

But seriously, who knows how its going to pan out in terms of PPN. Still quite some time before the projections, so expect some twists and turns still.

Interesting the the GFS Op picks up on the mid-week fun, but support is low from the other members. From the last few spells, the GFS and GEFS ensembles have been rather poor in the <T+36 period, more especially, the Op run (-5oc 850's on New Years Eve (was more around -2 to -3oC), and ppn projection for last night was also wrong)).

*snort*

I'm west midlands and we got sod all - only some rain. Was hopeful for Tuesday but now everyone says Wednesday. By the end of today, am sure hope will all have disappeared because of a warm sector, or less precipitation or different tracking etc...

8 years I've been weather watching, 15 years have had an interest and this winter has been the most painful due to there being so much hope yet each time a let down!

Posted

*snort*

I'm west midlands and we got sod all - only some rain. Was hopeful for Tuesday but now everyone says Wednesday. By the end of today, am sure hope will all have disappeared because of a warm sector, or less precipitation or different tracking etc...

8 years I've been weather watching, 15 years have had an interest and this winter has been the most painful due to there being so much hope yet each time a let down!

Perhaps I should have said NW Midlands or Staffs. This area, whilst perhaps not having longevity with lying snow, has had some good snow fall.