Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

nice snow shower for about 30mins nice covering in most places, think maybe our lot for bit, showers of suffolk look to be moving south so will pass to the east

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

snow flurry here in barnehurst currently- More edging into Kent- probable covering for central kent this afternoon-

Again the forecasts have well documented on here for today....

some of the flurries in kent are developing & moving west towards sussex & slurrey

S

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all your posts, love reading them!

Looking at SAT24 it really looks good for a streamer for the Thames area like we saw yesterday in the Cheshire gap.

Any idea how long the flow is forecast to stay like it is now?

Edited by mesocyclone

Posted

Clouds about over Burgess Hill nothing falling from them tho lol

Clouds look good but like you say nothing falling from them,come on we want snow and lots of it lol.

Posted

snow flurry here in barnehurst currently- More edging into Kent- probable covering for central kent this afternoon-

Again the forecasts have well documented on here for today....

some of the flurries in kent are developing & moving west towards sussex & slurrey

S

ppn is progressing further inland as you say to Sussex & Surrey http://www.meteox.nl/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=250&y=221

ps.........It's getting very cloudy here

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all your posts, love reading them!

Looking at SAT24 it really looks good for a streamer for the Thames area like we saw yesterday in the Cheshire gap.

Any idea how long the flow is forecast to stay like it is now?

I would say 3-6 hours...--- what we have is a light onshore flow good cold uppers & a bit of convection-

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-0-6.png?6

now look at the middle of the week:

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-0-102.png?6

If that doesnt start to deliver heavy snow showers im a monkies uncle---- today is specifically about North kent, & east sussex--- a dusting in around 30% of the region ( only trace though)

S

Posted

For all those who have not had snow in the SE area i have to say these showers are very localised i had snow and my sister in law did not have snow at the same time as me. As the day goes on i think these showers will pep up a bit more but keep looking at the radar it is the best way to tell if there are snow showers on the way for your area.

Posted

i notice thomasz doesn't think it'll be cold enough for snow in london by the time the tuesday system gets down here(news 24 forecast at 12.57). i guess it depends on the timing. outside london any elevation will help, the chilterns, north downs etc, and anywhere with existing snow fields. after tuesday, then the real cold kicks in!!!

At the moment, snow is not destined for London until the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Posted

Currently 1.7c, DP -1, Windchill -2 and no Snow!!

Woke up to a sprinking this morning, was more like graupel but either way it still left a thin layer. Showers today seem to be too far to my east and don't look like spreading inland. Its clouded over a few times but thats about it.

Matt. :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

ppn is progressing further inland as you say to Sussex & Surrey http://www.meteox.nl...oom&x=250&y=221

ps.........It's getting very cloudy here

hi yamkin. do you think there is any chance of a thames streamer setting up today or are the winds not quite right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

That massive low that the models are coming up with at the moment looks similar in scale to one of those classic North American snow storm lows. Anyone have any more comments on this?

Posted

tuesday looks a real tricky situation because the GFS and some of the ensembles develop a little low which slows the front right down, meanwhile the UKMO does nothing of the sort. Timing is indeed going to be key, if can come through overnight hours then snow would be a cert...during the day and maybe things are a touch more marginal but we shall see!

Its really after Wednesday that things become far more interesting...typical timing as I'm heading to Guildford on the 7th, how unreal that I could miss a big snow event for Essex....

hi yamkin. do you think there is any chance of a thames streamer setting up today or are the winds not quite right.

patience grasshopper.....

look NE tues + weds- look East after that.......

The cold air in place now is just the prelude

Steve

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

patience grasshopper.....

look NE tues + weds- look East after that.......

The cold air in place now is just the prelude

Steve

Nooooooo we don't want any thames streamers , they've had their share already :winky:

Posted

I would say 3-6 hours...--- what we have is a light onshore flow good cold uppers & a bit of convection-

http://91.121.94.83/...n/gfs-0-6.png?6

now look at the middle of the week:

http://91.121.94.83/...gfs-0-102.png?6

If that doesnt start to deliver heavy snow showers im a monkies uncle---- today is specifically about North kent, & east sussex--- a dusting in around 30% of the region ( only trace though)

S

Thanks Steve.

Looking forward to that, best get the shopping in! I think i may have a few flurries today, lots of fluffy white snow clouds coming through, getting bigger slowly but surely.

Posted

lol @ grasshopper yeah never been good with patience this week does look great like you say

Posted

Afternoon everyone. Just wanted to ask what peoples thought are on Luton getting some heavy snow?

I have been reading all weekend and it looks like Tuesday into Wednesday we could see some. The front that moves south on tuesday and then into the channel should give us some good amounts. Then once in the channel it looks like its going to pep up a bit, hopefully enough for it to bring more snow to me.

Friday looks now like were going to have some more, judging by that bbc forecast......

I know from past experience that an e'erly can give us so decent snow but take not that this is not a very strong e'erly (TEITS used to call them the beast from the east)

Are all my comments true? Have i missed anything out?

Cheers, Joe

Posted

Nooooooo we don't want any thames streamers , they've had their share already whistling.gif

fair enough neilsouth il settle for a flurry lol

Posted

Don't think there will be a Thames Streamer due to direction/strength of the wind, but it does look like some ppn will make it's way into parts of Surrey/Sussex as Steve Murr has suggested.

Still snowing lightly here :drunk:

Edited by yamkin