Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

what temp is it up there pete?

0'C, -1'C dewpoint.

Posted

I know lots of you dont value it but Beeb 24 has a very snowy looking wednesday/thursday right down east coastwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Posted

zI: Iooking out of my window to N, sky Iooks ominous. ABZ rports +02/00 & Iight snow, so marginaI stuff. Iamppost watch - don't think anything faIIing in my part of th woods (CornhiII).

Yeah, I can see those orange skies encroaching. Cornhill is higher than me down in Holburn but I'd say snow is doubtful for both of us but we will see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

radar not looking to good for snow here sad.gif

Hard to say really, I feel we'll either miss it altogether or end with both bands merging over us!

Posted

Just been looking at the Glens of Foundland Weather cam and its a white out - wouldn't surprise me if it gets blocked soon too.., Drumocheter is in the same position also - complete white out there right now...so snow is around for sure.

Fiona

Not certain, but there were a few winters in Inverness where the canal and the river, both of which flow directly from Loch Ness, froze over (the latter only partly), so this suggests some freeze on the loch. However, Loch Ness alone has more fresh water than England and Wales combined, so it gives you an idea of just how cold it would need to be for it to completely, let alone partly, freeze over. Lomond, Morar, Linnhe, Nevis etc are also very big, so I doubt they would freeze over. Small lochan freeze over all the time, especially in the mountains, but it's rare for them to be as frozen solid as they are now with such deep coverings of snow :cray:

I knew it was big but never thought it was big! Mind you, Loch Ness is like a pond compared to lakes in the US and Canada!

Posted

Surely not more famous than the Slochd and Dromochter?

I'd say the top 5 most notorious roads in Scotland are:

1/ A939 Cockbridge - Tomintoul

2/ A9 Drumochter Pass

3/ A93 Braemar - Glenshee

4/ A9 At the Slochd summit

5/ A96 At the Glens of Foudland

Although Glenshee is closed more often than Drumochter, it also the highest.

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted

Wind is rising and we have falling snow, seems its going for a proper blizzard tonight , wiil soon be blocked in as there are large snow banks at the edge of the roads, minimal drifting will fill them in quickly.Currently just under 0c and falling.

Posted

I'd say the top 5 most notorious roads in Scotland are:

1/ A939 Cockbridge - Tomintoul

2/ A9 Drumochter Pass

3/ A93 Braemar - Glenshee

4/ A9 At the Slochd summit

5/ A96 At the Glens of Foudland

Although Glenshee is closed more often than Drumochter, it also the highest.

But the busiest of those are surely Slochd and Drumochter, hence them being more well known? Otherwise, Bealach na ba would probably win out in a NWly snow event :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

post-9298-12626284626413_thumb.pngpost-9298-12626286531913_thumb.pngI think the band to our north might just hit us, while the other one might just clip southwest Fife also! Knife-edge stuff.

LS

Posted

post-9298-12626284626413_thumb.pngpost-9298-12626286531913_thumb.pngI think the band to our north might just hit us, while the other one might just clip southwest Fife also! Knife-edge stuff.

LS

Gonna be close. Everything crossed. How are te temps down here with us??

LS

The band may be light but look at the depth of it. Almost reaching the Clyde yet still piling into the far north!!!

That's a few hours of snow coming :p :o :o

Posted

I knew it was big but never thought it was big! Mind you, Loch Ness is like a pond compared to lakes in the US and Canada!

Very true, but you have to remember what makes Loch Ness' volume so impressive is that we are on an island - Scotland is geographically foreign to Europe in that the majority of the country originates from the North American continent and at one point hosted mountains taller than the Alps and perhaps towards the height of the Himalayas. This along with the glaciation which also created Norway's Fjords is what makes Scotland look so oddly beautiful in that the Torridon range hosts some of the oldest rock on this planet

This is like a wee geography lesson :o

Trivia: Inverness' Kessock Bridge is the only earthquake proof bridge in the UK due to the seismically active ridge which runs from Fort William to Inverness (hence the Great Glen being there). We haven't had one since 1901 but I'm sure it's only a matter of time :p

Wind is rising and we have falling snow, seems its going for a proper blizzard tonight , wiil soon be blocked in as there are large snow banks at the edge of the roads, minimal drifting will fill them in quickly.Currently just under 0c and falling.

I hope you are ok NL!!

Reading posts from you makes me realise that snow is all very well and fun, but there is a serious side to it. It is not too bad I suppose since you have access to heavy farm equipment which must be of some help (?) but even still, I really hope it doesn't get too bad up there.

Posted

Continued NetWeather lurking impossible given winter Nirvana is finally here : that as well as this ,the most welcoming thread I have seen since I joined NW a few years ago

South Queensferry now reporting for duty !!!

Pol

Continued NetWeather lurking impossible given winter Nirvana is finally here : that as well as this ,the most welcoming thread I have seen since I joined NW a few years ago

South Queensferry now reporting for duty !!!

Pol

Don't lurk, just get stuck in. A bit like Smeato but applied to weather websites.