Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thank you again as always Ls. I always look forward to your forecasts. So snow tonight/tomorrow morning for fife? What do you think about me sending the kids to school?

fife council website is down! grr

Hard to say at the moment. UKMO 12Z just out though, and it is an astounding run, really brilliant as the flow appears to be more of an easterly and continues all the way out to +120. It is only out on meteociel at the moment:

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW30-21.GIF?04-17

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW60-21.GIF?04-17

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW72-21.GIF?04-17

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW120-21.GIF?04-17

Now that would keep convective showers going for a while in east central!

Posted

One of the showers following on behind the main band has hit us now and it is indeed of snow, although quite light snow at the moment. But at least the temperatures have dropped enough to produce snow and not rain anymore.

Edited to add - Also the wind has picked up after the initial band went through, nothing major, but enough to blow the falling snow about

Edited by thejailender

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Hi folks.

Just been getting back to some sort of normality after the festivities. I see I am recording a SW wind here. Anyone else in east central? Was wondering what sort of effect this would have on the front coming down from the north? ie: will it split the precipitation as a northerly would do? Probably best taking LS advice and watch the radar.

CMD: Thanks for the advice re avatar clearance - it worked! (refuses to animate tho')

Posted

Well we had another 3cms of damp snow in the last hour or so. Just home from Inverness after putting my daughter on the train for Edinburgh, started off as sleet in Inverness but damp snow by the time we got home. Curently 0c and if it falls further then the roads will be very icy too add to hazards of huge potholes now appearing even on the A96.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Just performed another comedy fall there. I love the snow as much as anyone, but I think we need much more snow than ice...

Or maybe I need better boots.

Like the forecast for snow LS, however I'm always wary during this spell of any snow predicted for us lest it turn to rain. Nevertheless I look forward to it. :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Have the big lochs like loch ness frozen up there?

No it's too warm. :drinks:

There's been ice on Cromarty Firth (poss come down the Conon?) and many small lochs and most rivers other than the ones messed about by hydro schemes :drinks: .

Posted

Hard to say at the moment. UKMO 12Z just out though, and it is an astounding run, really brilliant as the flow appears to be more of an easterly and continues all the way out to +120. It is only out on meteociel at the moment:

http://www.meteociel...30-21.GIF?04-17

http://www.meteociel...60-21.GIF?04-17

http://www.meteociel...72-21.GIF?04-17

http://www.meteociel...20-21.GIF?04-17

Now that would keep convective showers going for a while in east central!

Hello LS..........yeh that would be good!!( the above charts)

What is causing the heavy showers from the North tonight? behind the band. Is it a wrap around of the front?

Posted

No, but the duck pond in Dingwall has !

Seriously though, it would take some going for Loch Ness to freeze over ! But a lot of the rivers were frozen over last week. The temperatures since Friday have not been as cold (in the North of Scotland anyway) as they were for the 10 days previously. So although the edges of the rivers are still frozen, I don't know of any in my area that are still frozen over completely.

There was pictures in the paper today of a river in Aberdeenshire somewhere that was quite frozen

Posted

Front not quite here yet although it's almost within touching distance. A few flakes of snow falling on the breeze. Temp 1C (DP 0.1C).

Posted

According to satrep, the front is lying over SW SCotland by midnight tonight, with all those lovely snow showers and cold air mixing with the already freezing cold air around these parts.

LOC_20100104_1500.png

I notice on Will it Rain, that already the mountains appear to be taking great dollops of the snow, which is to be expected I guess - they really be in severe avalanche watch soon (Cairngorms et al)

Edited by Mondy

Posted

I see Aviemore has been reporting light rain and the temp rose from 0 to 1ºC...

The whole front appears to be 3 hrs later than progged by the Met Fax charts yesterday.

This is weather watching at its best! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: COLD AND SNOWY

later the better for us in the central belt as the temp is dropping like a stone again loooking borderline tho at the coasts but who knows with this cold spell we have had it all and still have 2 inch of ice everywhere!! :drinks:

Posted

It's just to the NW of here but being killed off by the hills by the look of things.

It's taken forever to push south.

I'm not excited anyway, because I know it's going to fall as rain in Aberdeen.

I was out in Westhill this afternoon and there's is loads of snow, particularly up near the golf course.

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted

Front not quite here yet although it's almost within touching distance. A few flakes of snow falling on the breeze. Temp 1C (DP 0.1C).

Enjoy - it has more chance of reaching you than here - the NWly flow is just totally killing it for the area round Aberdeen despite the threatening looking radar. We need a more northerly component here.

No it's too warm. :whistling:

There's been ice on Cromarty Firth (poss come down the Conon?) and many small lochs and most rivers other than the ones messed about by hydro schemes :bomb: .

The Lake of Mentieth is frozen solid, I posted a link to a story earlier :)

And some tiny waterfalls have frozen:

Posted

It's taken forever to push south.

I'm not excited anyway, because I know it's going to fall as rain in Aberdeen.

I was out in Westhill this afternoon and there's is loads of snow, particularly up near the golf course.

Snowing lightly here now (and temp has dropped to 0.8C).

Posted

I see Aviemore has been reporting light rain and the temp rose from 0 to 1ºC...

The whole front appears to be 3 hrs later than progged by the Met Fax charts yesterday.

This is weather watching at its best! biggrin.gif

2 days without any snow melting at the sea in Edinburgh, can't remember that happening in my life time,

Should we expect it to snow tonight or will it rain and leave everything with a new layer of ice on top?

Posted

2 days without any snow melting at the sea in Edinburgh, can't remember that happening in my life time,

Should we expect it to snow tonight or will it rain and leave everything with a new layer of ice on top?

If we knew the answer to that, it wouldn't be so interesting! It's -2ºC at the airport, and the upper 850 temps won't fall below -6ºC - but as a couple of posts in the model thread have discussed the wet bulb temp in this cold front is marginal, but is better east compared to west. So make of that what you will - I'm not making a guess :)

I'll see if there's a forecaster about who can give a proper opinion.

Posted

Snowing lightly here now (and temp has dropped to 0.8C).

That's good - expect the snow to become heavy soon. The 5pm radar is a gem for Grampian after a whole day when it looked as if the mountains were going to keep it away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

God no! We'd have to be in an ice age for Loch Ness to freeze over, it's absolutely gigantic. Almost all ponds, burns etc have frozen over or have ice in them though. Ness, Lomond, Courisk, Linnhe and Nevis are very unlikely to freeze over I think.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

That's good - expect the snow to become heavy soon. The 5pm radar is a gem for Grampian after a whole day when it looked as if the mountains were going to keep it away.

Don't underestimate the power of the mountains to keep it from here if the wind stays NWLy :)