Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 13

Posted

*acckkk* sorry silly me, shouldn't feed the trolls, it's the time of year you feel sorry for all wildlife tho'.. my apologies

Edited by Snooz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

the coo looks mare intelligent

That's a tad harsh on our adopted Scottish friend (though I suppose with the cold weather actually making it as far as the southwest thread perhaps he'll return to discuss the cold spell in his region?). The 18Z NMM does the exact same as the earlier one, avoiding Fife and Dundee totally. Maybe it's wrong, but we'll see tomorrow evening either way. The pub run also gives us a bit more of a northerly flow during the week, something that no other major model appears to back up, so I suspect we'll be back to smooth ENE/NE sterlies on tomorrow's runs. School on Tuesday is looking a wee bit unlikely at this rate, with the grit having run out and the temperature outside -5.6C. Just noticed the fax chart moving the cold front over us at around 6pm tomorrow, which is distinctly different from what the NMM shows.

PPVE89.png

Note also how the trough slides east and stalls over Fife at midday on Tuesday:

PPVI89.png

Nowcasting remains the best course of action, as assuming precise details for your own location too far out in these situations only leads to inaccurate forecasts! Let's see how the Met Office copes with the next few days as well, given how very slight changes in wind direction totally changes the dynamics of snow distribution across Scotland. The important point remains that the cold air is going precisely nowhere so snow events will happen, just as they did last week.

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

I love that fax chart for 18h00 tomorrow. I mean, a cold front - it's currently -8ºC and today's max here was -2ºC :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'll get me coat cray.gif

I didn't mean it like that, I just assumed that eventually the weather in lovely Wiltshire would get a little bit interesting! Also, I'm sure you can have dual Scottish and Southwest weatherwatcher identity!

Posted

I didn't mean it like that, I just assumed that eventually the weather in lovely Wiltshire would get a little bit interesting! Also, I'm sure you can have dual Scottish and Southwest weatherwatcher identity!

I'm sure s/he can too LS but s/he needn't to get smart about "em ate /M 8" things when s/he already brought them up or highlighted that particular NW filter last night ..also just for the record and it's because I wanna adopt!! but I'm doubting .. One Liners are only funny for a wee while and I see heilan' coos every day, and I know a fake pic when I see one.

Only joking, but i will spend more time in the soutwest spammers cold spell discussion :cold:

Cracking Fax Chart is cracking for tonight/tomorrow:

Cold front rattles through quickly though??

Edit: And I know I always seems to say this but conditions are perfect for polar low formation off Norway in the next 48 hours. This is not to say it will happen. :clap:

Morning all, it feels so cold here yet the local weather station is saying its only -2, yet it feels so much colder. Wonder whast on the cards weather front today.whistling.gif

What's on the cards?? Hopefully an inch or three of snow :cold:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Well thats what i am hoping Catch but meto seems to think my area will have glorious sunshine all week, ohh and apparently it will be -10 at 9am....thats some drop in temp...better get my socks on :clap:

GFS showing the cold front quite clearly (it's along the line where the -6C air is), looks as if the west could do well due to the larger thermal gradient (temperature change):

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Cracking Fax Chart is cracking for tonight/tomorrow:

Cold front rattles through quickly though??

Edit: And I know I always seems to say this but conditions are perfect for polar low formation off Norway in the next 48 hours. This is not to say it will happen. whistling.gif

What's on the cards?? Hopefully an inch or three of snow smile.gif

It looks like things are quite in the balance for a settled dry cold spell later in the week now???cray.gifcray.gif

Posted

Good morning everyone.

-0C with a further dusting over night with more showers forecast for later today.

I wonder if modern homes are able to cope with such quantities of snow?

Four conservatories have collapsed and the guttering of many houses have come down due to the weight of snow and ice!

I cannot ever remember seeing this in the past but I guess metal gutterings were used in years gone by and now they are plastic and cant bear the weight!!

Edited by Gilly

Has anyone seen the SSF* forecast this morning?? Snow later :cold:

*SSF = Scottish Sky Forecast.....(red sky in the morning, etc) lovely pink sky today!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Good morning all! :cold:

After another 'mild' night, I wonder how marginal today's precipitation will turn-out to be? Anyhoo, those features further up to the NE look interesting for tonight/tomorrow... :cold:

Good morning all! :cold:

After another 'mild' night, I wonder how marginal today's precipitation will turn-out to be? Anyhoo, those features further up to the NE look interesting for tonight/tomorrow... :cold:

A cracking day of radar and satellite watching coming up I think!! These are the days you spend years dreaming about, the potential is massive. Although I do have to clear my cubby hole/study/office desk and shelves out today (it's the old bed recess in the kitchen!!). Quite handy that the desktop is in there :cold:

I see Renfrewshire Council (in addition to Fife) have admitted they are almost out of salt and will only grit main routes. 2 inches of snow will paralyse them. Renfrewshire Council is right next door to me, the "border" is half a mile away from here. So should be fun on the "main" road out to Bridge of Weir and Johnstone later this evening.

Disappointing for Abdn again - Tmp +1/Dw +1 - what has bn faIIing so far is of rain. Not much snow apart from that which Iay just prior to Xmas.

At least it wasn't sleet, that would have been a nightmare for you to type :cold: :cold: :cold:

Are you in the city centre or further out Richard?? I just wonder if there is snowfall elsewhere around the city?? It seems really marginal, and no doubt very, very frustrating for you :cold:

Posted

A cracking day of radar and satellite watching coming up I think!! These are the days you spend years dreaming about, the potential is massive. Although I do have to clear my cubby hole/study/office desk and shelves out today (it's the old bed recess in the kitchen!!). Quite handy that the desktop is in there whistling.gif

I see Renfrewshire Council (in addition to Fife) have admitted they are almost out of salt and will only grit main routes. 2 inches of snow will paralyse them. Renfrewshire Council is right next door to me, the "border" is half a mile away from here. So should be fun on the "main" road out to Bridge of Weir and Johnstone later this evening.

They must have back up plans in place. More boat loads on there way, and surely they will be bring endless lorry loads up from down south where they wont have used anywhere near the same quanities. Think how much more they will require if we have another week or more of cold. And this cold weather was across X-mas and New year when they would not have spreading to the same degree as normal with holidays, lack of drivers ect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Morning

Looks like some interesting charts for tonight/tomorrow. What are peoples thoughts on the outlook beyond Tuesday?

Edit - said on the radio at 9am that Fife and Renfrewshire councils are getting more grit delivered to them today because of their extreme shortages.

Edited by snowy owl

They must have back up plans in place. More boat loads on there way, and surely they will be bring endless lorry loads up from down south where they wont have used anywhere near the same quanities. Think how much more they will require if we have another week or more of cold. And this cold weather was across X-mas and New year when they would not have spreading to the same degree as normal with holidays, lack of drivers ect

Well, we'll find out later, won't we?? :) :) :)

If the grit bin at the end of my road hasn't been refilled and if it snows later today then the cars will be stranded here. It's just a short slope up to the main road, but with ice on it the slope becomes completely impossible. If this happens we will have to steal grit from the bin over on the next road.

Posted

Well, we'll find out later, won't we?? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

If the grit bin at the end of my road hasn't been refilled and if it snows later today then the cars will be stranded here. It's just a short slope up to the main road, but with ice on it the slope becomes completely impossible. If this happens we will have to steal grit from the bin over on the next road.

The news say that are using up to 1000 tons a day! That is some quantity over this cold spellcold.gif

Morning

Looks like some interesting charts for tonight/tomorrow. What are peoples thoughts on the outlook beyond Tuesday?

Edit - said on the radio at 9am that Fife and Renfrewshire councils are getting more grit delivered to them today because of their extreme shortages.

COLD rofl.gif

I am sure LS will submit a detailed forecast, but my take is that there will be snow from the cold front today, then some uncertainty over what the wind does. It may go round to the NE which may bring convective snow to E and possible Central, but the problem is pressure is building to our North this week which although pushes the wind to the east, kills the showers off. To be honest, you can find a chart to show just about every senario you want at the moment for the coming week.

LS, Mondy, CMD + others with greater knowledge will be able to add some depth to my generalisation. Hope this helps a little.drinks.gif

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Thanks SP33. Cold eh!!! :cc_confused:

I was meaning that there is so much uncertainty at the moment i haven't a clue whats most likely, as you say winds could be from north, north east or even north west! i'm confused today.