Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Fax chart shows the cold front well clear of Scotland by midnight tomorrow:

Edit:

L.S. Just read your post above, do I sense some snow hogging developing?? I felt the same when I was out today for a walk, and couldn't help but think that a further 3 inches of snow would be just about nice. Just to cover the trees and bushes again...

rofl.gif

Let's hope it slows up, and looking on the upside whats that behind the front...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Let's hope it slows up, and looking on the upside whats that behind the front...

A nice little trough pushing snow showers southwest towards the central belt - not too shabby!

Check out the flow on these charts:post-9298-12625441841013_thumb.pngpost-9298-12625442079913_thumb.png

Did anyone see the countryfile forecast? Snow showers in eastern Scotland for all of this week.

Things are shaping up nicely for some more serious snowfall

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well there are half crown flakes here again snow seems to coming out of nowhere according to met office radar, just amazing!!!

That's one reason I don't take too much notice of PPN charts. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Ok, moving away from middle class english imported acronyms, It looks like northern areas are going to take quite a pasting over the next day or two, with the rest of us potentially joining in on the action from tomorrow night onwards, while from that point the risk of snow moves away from northern, but more especially northwestern areas. After that, the situation is finely balanced, with some models bringing quiter weather from an anticyclone, while others give areas south of the central highlands a continued east/northeasterly flow. Either way, cold with the continued risk of significant snowfall, though increasingly confined to southern, eastern and central areas as the week goes on.

Comma feature now appearing north of the earlier comma which is now approaching the far north:

Is that second comma the cold front forming??

Now -4C, although the cloud has done a disappearing act. It will probably be one of those nights where the temps drops very low very quickly, and then warms up into the early hours.

Posted

Altnaharra is one of the few places above freezing!

Indeed. With the exception of the constantly balmy rosehearty and Kirkwall on Orkney it is in fact the mildest station in all of Scotland!

Posted

Is that second comma the cold front forming??

Now -4C, although the cloud has done a disappearing act. It will probably be one of those nights where the temps drops very low very quickly, and then warms up into the early hours.

The way I see it is the "old" comma we saw earlier today is (or was) giving snow to Pete, Northern Rab..I think it's petering out quite quickly too :diablo:

The main feature on that chart is the forming cold front, although so much is going on up there - looking at the attachment below - it's difficult to say what will form in the next 24 hrs. It's a straight northerly and there is much ppn north of us :-)

post-8552-12625485265313_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mondy

Posted

I feel really rather selfish now, as our trees are pretty much covered at the moment as well! I honestly just want Fife schools to be closed for a week or so due to snow - is that too much to ask?tease.gif

Haha, you've got the same hopes as me B) :lol:

On the downside, I haven't seen any falling snow today, don't know if there has been any or if I've just missed it :nea:

Posted

Am I the only one fed up with it now? Several inches of ice covering everything isn't quite as attractive as fresh snow!!

The roads in Glasgow seem to be deteriorating daily and are in all honesty a disgrace, I assume the continual melting and refreezing is causing cracks in the road to open more and more. I've already had to replace a tyre due to hitting a pothole.

More snow required

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Am I the only one fed up with it now? Several inches of ice covering everything isn't quite as attractive as fresh snow!!

The roads in Glasgow seem to be deteriorating daily and are in all honesty a disgrace, I assume the continual melting and refreezing is causing cracks in the road to open more and more. I've already had to replace a tyre due to hitting a pothole.

More snow required

Agreed bingobob. Perth has had no snow worth mentioning for over a week and the place is a dirty icy eyesore to be honest.

The potholes are becoming more common and it takes much concentration while driving to avoid them.

I fear we may get sleet/freezing rain tomorrow night if anything, which will only make things worse.

Anyone having to walk any distance eg. my wife, :nea: is finding it dangerous and unpleasant.

Posted

The way I see it is the "old" comma we saw earlier today is (or was) giving snow to Pete, Northern Rab..I think it's petering out quite quickly too mellow.gif

The main feature on that chart is the forming cold front, although so much is going on up there - looking at the attachment below - it's difficult to say what will form in the next 24 hrs. It's a straight northerly and there is much ppn north of us :-)

But so many munros to climb, not to mention corbetts, grahams etclaugh.gif

Just remember someone on the Scottish met argument claiming that the reason most of Scotland didn't get much snow from the February spell was due to the lack of northerlies - how we laughed! Northerlies just don't deliver across most of central Scotland. Still, with a cold front passing over there should be some heavy snow for some, and after that the good old NE/ENEsterly sets in for a bit!

More snow required

In places it's not nice: fairly dirty, browny/black frozen muck.

The freeze/thaw cycle has caused a lot of damage to the roads which are exposed (not sure what's going on under the ice on 90% of surfaces). Just wait until the wet and mild weather returns and some hydraulic action gets into those cracks. We will be able to go potholing in the potholes.

I would also expect many businesses starting back up again this week after New Year are in for an unpleasant morning of discovering their pipes are frozen/burst.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Agreed bingobob. Perth has had no snow worth mentioning for over a week and the place is a dirty icy eyesore to be honest.

The potholes are becoming more common and it takes much concentration while driving to avoid them.

I fear we may get sleet/freezing rain tomorrow night if anything, which will only make things worse.

Don't worry about that, HS, snow for most !

ukmintemp.png

I'm truly dreading work tomorrow - it was bad enough last week (postie)

The Post Office will need to start issuing crampons and ice picks soon :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Don't worry about that, HS, snow for most !

I'm holding you to that LS!:)

It is now -9.3C DP -10.5C. Why can't it snow now.:cold:

Posted

The Post Office will need to start issuing crampons and ice picks soon :)

The gaffers have already said to us to deliver what we can and not to put ourselves in any danger.

It really is a sense of achievement to walk 3.5 hours on ice-sheets and not fall - yer SAS troops couldn't do that :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

In places it's not nice: fairly dirty, browny/black frozen muck.

The freeze/thaw cycle has caused a lot of damage to the roads which are exposed (not sure what's going on under the ice on 90% of surfaces). Just wait until the wet and mild weather returns and some hydraulic action gets into those cracks. We will be able to go potholing in the potholes.

I would also expect many businesses starting back up again this week after New Year are in for an unpleasant morning of discovering their pipes are frozen/burst.

I can remember way back in Dec 1981 / Jan 82 when the main early snowfalls fell at the weekend so Perth & Kinross Council to save money did not send out the snowploughs [except on trunk roads] until the Monday. By then the snow had softened then had frozen hard. The ploughs tore up chunks of road when they tred to clear roads in North Perthshire so gave up until the thaw. That didn't come, North of Dunkeld, until late January. They then had to resurface all the roads in the area costing them far more than a bit of double time for a handful of snowplough drivers.

A good friend of mine drove a snowplough and made a fortune on O.T. in the next couple of winters as the gritters and ploughs were sent out immediately whenever the snow fell.

Here yesterdays showers have left everything looking white again though frozen solid underneath. All back roads about here have been untouched for about two weeks.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

-7.8°C DP -9.0°C

Think temps will drop much lower overnight for the central belt, but they already appear to be warming way up north..must be due to this feature sinking south.

Listening to Edinburgh ATC at the moment, -8°C there and every single plane landing or taking off is given the words "extreme caution on taxiway due to low temps" :p