Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mostly clear here at -2.7C. Heading for another ice day.

My mother-in-law overlooks the Tay on the South side and said that there were ice floes in the river this morning. Certainly didn't come from melt as there was a severe frost up the river today

Edited by Norrance

Posted

looks like a few showers are heading down the east coast!

Yeah, there's a shower into the Rosehearty / Mintlaw area now but other than that, not too much to get excited about!

Hopefully a few snow showers this evening though

Edited by Zerouali lives

Yeah, there's a shower into the Rosehearty / Mintlaw area now but other than that, not too much to get excited about!

Hopefully a few snow showers this evening though

The radar seems to show some very light precip which would indicate the weakening warm front (??) shown on the fax. Maybe the occlusion behind will bring more in the way of precip??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Light snow here too...Could well be those decayed fronts...

Posted

Aye, later-on tomorrow looks likely to be when the major action starts to get itself together...Generally, I prefer the Fax charts to the model runs - they have human imput! :)

Nothing to worry about along the coasts (assuming you want snow rather than rain) tomorrow night? The snow risk charts suggest not anyway!

Posted

The radar seems to show some very light precip which would indicate the weakening warm front (??) shown on the fax. Maybe the occlusion behind will bring more in the way of precip??

Hi Catch - I think you're right. These fronts are fairly weak - the main cold front arrives late tomorrow morning, although I've got a bad feeling snowcould be marginal for coastal areas...

Light snow here too...Could well be those decayed fronts...

It has clouded over here as if something is coming....cloud.

12z on the way, let's hope for a stoater :) As if what we've got isn't enough. All we need is a huge polar low down the west coast for Ross, Duncan, Achos and the rest of the Ayrshire/Glasgow crew who don't have much going on!!

Posted

Well something I remember from my chilhood winters has happened this afternoon, a bank of cloud across the Firth to the north with a few curtains of light snow has slowly enveloped us all round and given us a moderate snow shower, further snowfall is coming up from the Firth as I type. It came on a flake by flake until it was moderate.The sky looks full of snow roundabout.These snowfalls that come out of nowhere are something I remember in earlier colder winters. Maybe somebody can fill in with the technical resons for this as it is snowing again. A photo from today showing some icicles max temp today -1c, a lot roofs will be damaged as wet refrozen snow falls from them disloging slates. The thaw when it comes is going to be expensive as a lot of the roads are already breaking up.

post-2744-12625329507113_thumb.jpg

Posted

Just took a short treacherous drive down to the Firth of Forth at S.Queensferry where all those mad nutters have a dookin' on New Years Day......couldn't believe my eyes!

bouvetbergsbirds.jpg

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Very light snow showers from 1-3pm today, which would've given a slight dusting but for the 8 inches (12 in fields) on the ground which made it look really pathetic! Tuesday and Wednesday will be the big test for precipitation distribution and amounts from convective northeasterlies - I have very few memories of them - I know easterlies deliver, northerlies don't but northeasterlies?? Not sure. I suppose it depends on how long the land track is, does it track over the highlands, are the uppers low enough to generate lots of convection, how strong the flow is, any troughs etc. Personally, I feel that if that fax chart I posted doesn't deliver lots of snow for most eastern areas then no northeasterly flow will.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Max today -2.9C. Now -3.7C. Could beat last weeks -15.4C tonight methinks.:)

Posted

Just been out for a very agreeable lunch down at The Shore in Leith - where the snow is lying on the dock side. Very nice to see :lol:

Posted

Greenock has been poor for snow the last few days..

Does it look hopefull this week?

Answers please

Answers please

It's been pretty poor here too. "Snow" on the ground is really white ice, just the odd shower or two on top of the ice pack. I think it may well continue in the same style flighton; certainly don't be going to B&Q to buy a new shovel. You probably won't need it. That's not to say we'll get nothing, there should be some snow at times, just not in any great quantities. There is an outside chance of something happening that we get an unexpected snowfall; perhaps 10% chance, at most.

Posted

Shugs, why did you have to post that chart on the model thread? God help us soon if that comes of :lol:

:lol: cos I'm secretly teasing :lol:

Posted

Answers please

I'd say that that there are decent chances for your area tomorrow evening/night according to latest Meto fax/GFS. Worth watching.