Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 13

The gaffers have already said to us to deliver what we can and not to put ourselves in any danger.

It really is a sense of achievement to walk 3.5 hours on ice-sheets and not fall - yer SAS troops couldn't do that :p

Some snow on top of the ice would make it a lot easier, the snow showers here yesterday certainly helped increase grip today in some places when I was out with the wee one for a walk. However, many of the built up areas remain very very icy. What strikes me is this question: when the thaw does come, how long will it take to melt the ice??

Normal snow of 2 inches deep with relatively large air-pockets would melt quickly in warmer air and rain. However, the ice which many of us have would take much, much longer to thaw since it is much denser with little or no air/water penetrating into the ice. With more snow/ice on the way, I wonder when we will be completely ice free?? Even if the charts show a return to mild weather, if the mild weather is only a week long, there is a good chance that the ground will stay very cold.

Any heavy snow that falls tomorrow, Tuesday or Wednesday is going to be treacherous, especially in Fife, regarding this issue -

Link.... Ugh oh!:( :( ;)

This may be the next part of the cold spell then. 3 inches of snowfall from this cold front, whole country siezed up due to lack of grit.....an interesting week ahead then?!!

The grit bin at the end of our road has been empty for almost a week now, I am still hoping that the council will come to fill it up at some point and am assuming that the staff are still on holiday?? I do have another grit bin on my radar, it is actually closer than the one at the end of the road, but in someone else's road, is that theft?? They haven't used it yet, it is full to the top....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Some snow on top of the ice would make it a lot easier, the snow showers here yesterday certainly helped increase grip today in some places when I was out with the wee one for a walk. However, many of the built up areas remain very very icy. What strikes me is this question: when the thaw does come, how long will it take to melt the ice??

Normal snow of 2 inches deep with relatively large air-pockets would melt quickly in warmer air and rain. However, the ice which many of us have would take much, much longer to thaw since it is much denser with little or no air/water penetrating into the ice. With more snow/ice on the way, I wonder when we will be completely ice free?? Even if the charts show a return to mild weather, if the mild weather is only a week long, there is a good chance that the ground will stay very cold.

Indeed Catch. Plus the drains in many areas are buried under ploughed snow - now ice, so where will a lot of the water go - Flooding?:(

I found this while searching through Inverclyde Council's website:

http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/news/2009/mar/inverclyde-road-crews-praised/

It's for last winter??

"Friday 13 March 2009

After the most severe winter for 20 years Inverclyde Council’s road gritting teams have been recognised for their hard work battling the elements."

So last winter was the most severe winter for 20 years?? :(

Posted

That's coz we took your supply. Click me :(

I do like the last sentence though...... "any spare capacity"!!

Would be nice to see a few onces up here

Edited by Cheggers

Indeed Catch. Plus the drains in many areas are buried under ploughed snow - now ice, so where will a lot of the water go - Flooding?:diablo:

Aye!! How could I forget that?? The drains will be frozen up too....this snow and cold lark sounds all very well until you start to think about the consequences. I have read that A&E admissions are way up on normal too, a lot of nasty breaks of hips, etc.

Snow and ice are gorgeous, but also silent menaces :nonono:

I'm not being ungrateful for our lovely cold spell, but it does make you think??

Posted

Aye!! How could I forget that?? The drains will be frozen up too....this snow and cold lark sounds all very well until you start to think about the consequences. I have read that A&E admissions are way up on normal too, a lot of nasty breaks of hips, etc.

Snow and ice are gorgeous, but also silent menaces :nonono:

I'm not being ungrateful for our lovely cold spell, but it does make you think??

I work at Glasgow Royal A&E and I can say that average daily registration is about 240 but is currently sitting at nearly 350!

I work at Glasgow Royal A&E and I can say that average daily registration is about 240 but is currently sitting at nearly 350!

Due to the weather or just New Year/drink/idiots???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Going for an early night. Rota and sixty Methadones tomorrow plus lampost watching tomorrow night. Nite nite all.:nonono:

Posted

PS -10C now.

Posted

Due to the weather or just New Year/drink/idiots???

New year been a factor this week but been on a climb for 2 weeks plus now.

Just been reading the salt issue in the Kingdom..... Hope it doesn't get too much worse, imagine the mate with no grit\salt!!! :nonono:

Just been reading the salt issue in the Kingdom..... Hope it doesn't get too much worse, imagine the mate with no grit\salt!!! :cray:

That's a real possibility if this cold spell keeps going. It will only get worse if the southern English get hammered by this too, then it will be every council for themselves in arranging salt supplies.

I think it's quite funny that after so long craving cold weather, and now a couple of weeks into having cold weather, we're all coming round to the practicalities of living with cold weather and realising that it's not 100% fantastic after all (just 99%). Things are ok now, but a few hefty snowfalls and the country will grind to a halt.

If it's related to New Year they are a bit late :lol:

Not really RRR. Some people will have been on a bender from Hogmanay right through until today's Old Firm game. A few hours "sleep" here and there, but basically on one since then.

Not me though, although it hasn't been unknown in the past.

Posted

Just been reading the salt issue in the Kingdom..... Hope it doesn't get too much worse, imagine the mate with no grit\salt!!! :cray:

Probably doesn't help that the gritter is spreading and 30 mins later the council road sweeper is clearing it up :lol:

Posted

Just been reading the salt issue in the Kingdom..... Hope it doesn't get too much worse, imagine the mate with no grit\salt!!! :p

I've seen it with solid ice on the road in the last few weeks, dodgey!!

East Ayrshire ran out of grit/salt last week when we actually got snow. This resulted in even the main roads in town being covered in consolidated ice and snow, they seem to have more now but are only gritting main roads from what i can tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Any heavy snow that falls tomorrow, Tuesday or Wednesday is going to be treacherous, especially in Fife, regarding this issue -

Link.... Ugh oh!whistling.gifhelp.giftease.gif

Wow, I'm beginning to think that a snow day for Fife is inevitable - temperatures not getting above freezing for days, roads totally iced up, more snow possible overnight tonight and moreso tomorrow evening and Tuesday morning and they've run out of grit!

Posted

So, if I've got this right, the next few days has a cold front crossing the country from the north tomorrow night bringing heavy snow to some. After that low pressure forms in the southern North Sea and sits there for a few days. This pulls in a freezing cold easterly or north-easterly with snow showers. The 850 temperatures are close to -10 much of the time.

Posted

Hi fellow Scots!

My name is Robert, 21 from Barrhead, Glasgow.

I just noticed someone has the name as me, they are cookie and I am c00kie, I hope your ok with that, hehe (just call me Rob or Rab) :cold:

I have been reading this forum for a while now and have decided to join in the fun. I really love the weather, it really fascinates me. I really love cold weather, snow, thunderstorms and tornadoes. I plan to go storm chasing sometime in the next few years, I loved reading the forum from the storm chase team, it makes me jealous and wish I was there :cold:!!!

I am enjoying this cold spell we are having just now, loving the snow and sledging. I have lots of pics of the recent snow that I will upload for others to see soon.

I am still a novice when it comes to reading weather charts, models etc, but I know there is lots of info and help on this forum and I will learn with time.

Cheers, Rob

Posted

Wow, I'm beginning to think that a snow day for Fife is inevitable - temperatures not getting above freezing for days, roads totally iced up, more snow possible overnight tonight and moreso tomorrow evening and Tuesday morning and they've run out of grit!

I'm starting to look forward to this....... :cold: But I sympathise those people that need to drive in it... (Except the school bus drivers... I don't mind if they want a day off ;-))

----------

Edit: Hi Rob! :cold:

Welcome to the forums... I'm pretty new here, too and can't read weather charts yet. (Haven't had time to read the guides on this forum)

Edited by snowmess

So, if I've got this right, the next few days has a cold front crossing the country from the north tomorrow night bringing heavy snow to some. After that low pressure forms in the southern North Sea and sits there for a few days. This pulls in a freezing cold easterly or north-easterly with snow showers. The 850 temperatures are close to -10 much of the time.

That's a pretty good succinct summary :cold:

Posted

Hi fellow Scots!

My name is Robert, 21 from Barrhead, Glasgow.

I just noticed someone has the name as me, they are cookie and I am c00kie, I hope your ok with that, hehe (just call me Rob or Rab) :cold:

I have been reading this forum for a while now and have decided to join in the fun. I really love the weather, it really fascinates me. I really love cold weather, snow, thunderstorms and tornadoes. I plan to go storm chasing sometime in the next few years, I loved reading the forum from the storm chase team, it makes me jealous and wish I was there :cold:!!!

I am enjoying this cold spell we are having just now, loving the snow and sledging. I have lots of pics of the recent snow that I will upload for others to see soon.

I am still a novice when it comes to reading weather charts, models etc, but I know there is lots of info and help on this forum and I will learn with time.

Cheers, Rob

Welcome Rob :good: There are now quite a few of us from around our area on here, it makes the old weather nowcasting much easier!