Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 13

I am sure LS will submit a detailed forecast, but my take is that there will be snow from the cold front today, then some uncertainty over what the wind does. It may go round to the NE which may bring convective snow to E and possible Central, but the problem is pressure is building to our North this week which although pushes the wind to the east, kills the showers off. To be honest, you can find a chart to show just about every senario you want at the moment for the coming week.

LS, Mondy, CMD will be able to add some depth to my generalisation. Hope this helps a little.drinks.gif

I can add nothing sensible there Snowplough :) :)

I need to stop watching the satellite pics, there is something swirly forming east of Iceland, but it will take 4 hours to see what happens to it :cc_confused: Must just be a comma cloud.

Posted

Hey Richard, if you hold down the ALT key type 101 - you will magically find your missing "e"

0.6c DP 0c here this morning, nothing doing, calm & cloudy

Posted

I can add nothing sensible there Snowplough smile.gifsmile.gif

I need to stop watching the satellite pics, there is something swirly forming east of Iceland, but it will take 4 hours to see what happens to it rofl.gif Must just be a comma cloud.

I feel some PL talk about to begin rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

I think that your generalisation is about the best that can be done for this week SP33 - at this point in time anyway. I don't see any general country-wide impact from further snow on the horizon ... either frontal from the north or convective from the east. Localised stuff perhaps .. but as usual radar and nowcasting will be the best guide in any case. And as our Inverness and Aberdeen friends and those in the North-West testify from their reports, anything coming from the north just now flirts with marginality for the coasties at least.

The 2 general scenarios out to the end of the week continue to be cold. Either:

High pressure sets up to the east and we get some kind of slack convective-ish flow - with some ongoing snow showers for the east.

Or high pressure sets up over us, no convection and its basically dry virtually everywhere.

Things can change - and probably will - but right now there seems no end to the cold. Snow-wise for many it could be "what we have we hold". But the ongoing cold could surely mean the holding of a Bonspiel in the next 7-10-14 days. They must be testing the ice depth all the time surely ?

The news say that are using up to 1000 tons a day! That is some quantity over this cold spellcold.gif

COLD rofl.gif

I am sure LS will submit a detailed forecast, but my take is that there will be snow from the cold front today, then some uncertainty over what the wind does. It may go round to the NE which may bring convective snow to E and possible Central, but the problem is pressure is building to our North this week which although pushes the wind to the east, kills the showers off. To be honest, you can find a chart to show just about every senario you want at the moment for the coming week.

LS, Mondy, CMD + others with greater knowledge will be able to add some depth to my generalisation. Hope this helps a little.drinks.gif

I feel some PL talk about to begin rofl.gif

Shhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Things can change - and probably will - but right now there seems no end to the cold. Snow-wise for many it could be "what we have we hold". But the ongoing cold could surely mean the holding of a Bonspiel in the next 7-10-14 days. They must be testing the ice depth all the time surely ?

My parent's wee pond is bearing weight, the only reason it is not being curled on is that the surface is frozen snow/slush (white ice) and is way too bumpy for it. A layer of water on top is needed to level it off!!

Posted

Well Scotland Wales is joining in with your fun now, We've had snow cover for 4 days and temps last night went down to -11 so not long now :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Morning all, very cold crisp and frosty start to the day.

-6c on the gareloch at 6am this morning, was like driving in snow with the heavy frost... white tracks and no gritters anywhere in fact the gritters still havent been out on the A roads yet.

The impending Fife grind to a halt was also on radio1's news this morning, one of the top story's indeed with the grit due to run out.

wonder if they're carting oor grit over this morning mmmmmm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No precipitation so far, but the temperature is very slowly rising (I'd guess at 33f)...The 'right' side of marginal? Maybe yes, maybe no?? ;) At least the wind is off the land, this time... :)

No precipitation so far, but the temperature is very slowly rising (I'd guess at 33f)...The 'right' side of marginal? Maybe yes, maybe no?? ;) At least the wind is off the land, this time... :)

What's this FAX chart all about Pete??

Not sure where that one comes from??

Posted

I was just thinking about that. As the front comes down the wind is to the west of north so east coasters may just get away with it. West coast will be dodgy I would expect, possble the far north coast. Fingers crossed, if it even crosses the central belt and doesnt break up / dissolve.

Good luck for your snow!!clap.gifclap.gif

The funny, because the BBC text forecast, which feeds off the MO talks on Wedenesday of heavy snow showers in the east plus NW Scotland. That explains where there txt comes from.

Posted

we had a snow shower earlier but then we had a light sleet shower and has now turned to snow and and pretty heavy here just nowyahoo.gif

Posted

we had a snow shower earlier but then we had a light sleet shower and has now turned to snow and and pretty heavy here just nowyahoo.gif

Thius is good news, keep us up to date with how it turns out. Thanks.

Are you at sea level.ish??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It did look a tad 'out of place' didn't it? Maybe one of the Southern Softies has planted it there?? :lol: :lol:

Not a bad chart, though?? :good:

Good news, WB! :D

If it's snow up there then everyone's chances are improved! :lol: :D

Posted

Well the MO must have some thought that the HP will not sit right on top of Scotland later this week, as they have just updated all Advisories for Tuesday, Wed, Thurs.

Hope so much they get it correct!!!whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Posted

Thius is good news, keep us up to date with how it turns out. Thanks.

Are you at sea level.ish??

i will do biggrin.gif

yeah were pretty much sea level here im surprised its even snowly as so far when it snows here most of it has thawed by the next day so hopefully this will stay

Posted

I've been keeping an eye on the radar this morning, and as you see the main band has not long come into contact with the North coast, but I notice that ahead of it there seems to be a bit of convection, especially within the Moray Firth which is now hitting the Moray coast.

There is also a few showers forming over the land too, one of which has just crossed over here. Very light snow from it though, and if you weren't looking for it, you'd probably not have known it happened it wa sthat light.

Temperaturs have risen ion the last hour or so, currently sat at +1.1'C - Lets hope it doesn't rise much further.

Posted

sky brightened up slighty and the snow stopped here but its getting duller again and the snow has started so i think this is the main band nowyahoo.gif

edit: its only light snow here but its getting darker but looking north of here and its whiteout so i hope its movingbiggrin.gif

Edited by weatherboy

Posted

So the met office has weather warnings for central tayside and fife for 3 days saying heavy snow. So why when i go through the five day forecast do i find this

Finnart light snow from 6-12am

Kirkcaldy light snow 9pm

montrose light snow 9pm

st andrews light snow 9pm

Thats it. How can they expect the public to make safe travel arrangements when they give such conflicting forecasts. It really annoys me. METO=diablo.gif

its -2.4 and DP is -4.1

Posted

ABZ Airport Tmp +1/Dw droppd to -1. So my fingrs crossd!!

Hmmm. I think we're still the wrong side of marginal for this event.

More rain last night - SHOCK! - Strang e that when the rain falls it doesn't thaw the snow it just makes everything icy.