Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

We had a spell of big flakes of snow hidden withint he rain, but it has got a lot lighter, and is now just rain.

Looking at the radar though, it does seem to be falling as snow anywhere more than a mile inland. The fact that most comminities up this way are built along the coast will be the reason we are nearly all reporting rain, I guess when it gets further south where more communities are away fromt he sea, then these will get hit with snow.

Tbh, mate - with cold air digging-in behind - the snow cannae be too-far away???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Tbh, mate - with cold air digging-in behind - the snow cannae be too-far away???

We live in hope. Also, now 2.3/0.5!! :)

Looking at the radar and temps reported from north, snow could be here by teatime. :):wallbash::):):):cold::good::rofl: :lol: :D

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Looking at the radar and temps reported from north, snow could be here by teatime. :lol: :):rofl::) :lol: :):good::rofl: :lol: :D

I second that commment.

So far we have had heavy rain with the odd bit of sleet mixed in. Its so close but so far.

Lets hope there is still ppn when it does drag that cold air in.

Temp is 1.3 and DP 0

Edited by waxwing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Looking at the radar and temps reported from north, snow could be here by teatime. :lol: :):rofl::) :lol: :):good: :lol: :D:)

Aye mate...Crappy sleet here, at the mo... :rofl:

Posted

We live in hope. Also, now 2.3/0.5!! smile.gif

Looking at the radar and temps reported from north, snow could be here by teatime. crazy.gifdrinks.gifyahoo.gifdrunk.gifclap.gifcold.gifgood.gifrofl.giflaugh.gifbiggrin.gif

Seems to be cold up shetlands/orkney, they have dipped trough the day. Below freezing in Lerwick and generally through this spell its not been cause of the sea around it I guess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Looking at the radar and temps reported from north, snow could be here by teatime. :lol: :):rofl::) :lol: :):good::rofl: :lol: :)

Do you mean teatime today HC.:D

Posted

There are thin patches of ice starting to form on the River Clyde right down to the city centre! For anyone who knows Glasgow I noticed it from Glasgow Harbour down to the Jamaica Bridge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Still deep and crisp and even here - temps still below freezing.

Will wait till later this evening and see what arrives.

Generally been mostly cloudy today with only a glimpse of the sun first thing this morning. Went sledging again to make the most of this lovely spell, no wind and chilly temps.

Kids due back at achool here on Wednesday. Wonder if that'll happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Yes SL2 its called Snow Psychosis and it is a worrying symptom to report. Full blown madness normally follows within 48 hours.

Heavy snowfall is ameliorative, if only temporarily, as symptom will return. :drinks:

Posted

Yes SL2 its called Snow Psychosis and it is a worrying symptom to report. Full blown madness normally follows within 48 hours.

Heavy snowfall is ameliorative, if only temporarily, as symptom will return. crazy.gif

Oh god i knew it. Only thing is i think the madness might be sarting sooner..........please dont make me where that awful suit again, i find it really difficult to put my shoes on

rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Aye mate...Crappy sleet here, at the mo... :drinks:

give it time pete when it starts to dig in im sure your be digging out lol:drinks:

mind you saying that ive noticed although the band is becoming more prolonged it does look like it losing energy.

maybe it will re energise lol.

Edited by badboy657

Posted

Looking at the radar and temps reported from north, snow could be here by teatime. ;):drinks::):rofl::):):):rofl: :lol: :D

Could be right.

I've been looking at the readings fromt he stations further North, and they all seemed to have peaked during the time the band came over. Obviously the ones away fromt he coast peaked at a lower temperature than we have, so they still got snow, while we got rain/sleet.

Looking at my own readings, we the temperatures have now fallen to 1.6'C (were up at 2.6'C an hour or so ago) and it has more or less stopped raining, so maybe any further bands will be of snow

Posted

So the big question now the band is moving, will it make it to the central belt?? or do a jumping act to the Borders??crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Sleet at the moment but the colder air is gradually pushing in behind this front :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Still -2c here ... but once that front gets nearer to central areas and things get blowier, I'm expecting a bit of warming/mixing tonight.

Most likely I feel it'll only be enough to spot at lamp-post level - but with surfaces this cold even any sleetiness won't affect lying snow too badly. As long as it clears overnight and we get a frost back on, then the worst case here would be "no change" I think (fine by me).

So the big question now the band is moving, will it make it to the central belt?? or do a jumping act to the Borders??crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

thats what am waiting on SP33. Where is Ls?

Here. Just discovered my school is closed tomorrow!! Anyway, as for tonight, most of the precipitation will fall as snow, though of course the highlands will take the brunt of the snow. However, the showers may re-intensify across western areas and south of estuaries, so I would expect some reasonable accumulations in Edinburgh and Glasgow. However, by tomorrow morning I'd expect heavy snow showers to push south from the northeast, giving persistant and heavy snow to many eastern areas, as well as to parts of the Northwest Highlands and the Western Isles. After this, a lot depends on the wind direction, but the showers look like continuing in southeastern Scotland at least, though confidence in the frequency and intensity of the showers is unknown. In general, northern and western areas will generally see less snowfall (though there is a potential shortwave event on Thursday) while southern and eastern areas look like seeing snow showers continuing to some degree right through to the weekend, as high pressure sits just to the north, giving a fairly weak easterly flow for central and southern areas. Precipitation charts after tonight's event are virtually worthless, with convective showers being a real blackspot for the models, so the radar looks like being your best guidance as always this week!

Some of the synoptic charts:

ecm500.096.png

The ECM giving a slack but still potentially snowy easterly flow for Friday.

PPVG89.png

The northeasterly flow through tomorrow, with the 1008 isobar just skirting the east coast.

PPVL89.png

The slacker flow on Thursday, along with the potential event for the north and west.

post-9298-12626204397613_thumb.png

Band of heavier snow pushing into East Lothian on Thursday evening, though confidence in this is quite low.

LS

Posted

Thank you again as always Ls. I always look forward to your forecasts. So snow tonight/tomorrow morning for fife? What do you think about me sending the kids to school?

fife council website is down! grr

Posted

ABZ airport obsrving CB cIouds: +02/M02. Has this trough passd through us, or stiII on its way down?

It's just to the NW of here but being killed off by the hills by the look of things.