Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 13

To answer Lady Pakal's question in the other thread, that swirl is the low pressure which can be seen forming here on the FAX chart:

I am not sure how far S it will come, although it does seem to be some sort of a trigger to throw the fronts our way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here's Lady P's link: http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=scan&sat=ir&type=loop

The blobs coming from the North look interesting...

Here's Lady P's link: http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=scan&sat=ir&type=loop

The blobs coming from the North look interesting...

They certainly do. I think it's maybe just high cloud coming off Greenland and moving round the high pressure?? If you let this loop load and then play it shows 24hrs of cloud movement. Then look at Greenland first thing this morning and watch the cloud just race south.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

This sat loop is great as it lets you slide the pointer along the time scale, so you can get a really good idea of what is happening.

Anyway, I'm away out for a crunch in the ice!!! Temp has rocketed to -4C now....

Edit: Mondy's post proves my theory wrong, but that's ok, I can take a comma over being right :lol:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Mrs Highland Snow has been busy.

Check out her Video "It started with a Flake":

Or as a high resolution slideshow:

http://www.flickr.co...75234@N02/show/

Enjoy!:lol:

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted

Snowing v.lightly here again, with nothing showing on the raintoday link - who said it looked dry?

temp now +0.2c DP -1c from overnight low of -5.6, I see Aboyne recorded -10/-11 :lol:

Sun is trying to put in an appearance so of out to see if that frozen layer will lift a bit better than yesterday.. see you all later. <font size="1">[edit]sorry formatting gone wonky and can't fix![/edit]</font><br>

Edited by Snooz

Posted

That is our precious snowfall up there in a comma feature :lol:

Thanks for that, Monders... :lol:

Posted

Still -5c here :lol: We need a North-Westerly to get some snow totals here, a pretty cold and dry week coming up!

Posted

Morning cold lovers

Dundee calling

Very light snow on and off over the last few hours

Currently -1c

A wee video of yesterdays heavy snow just before I left for the match, I cant ever remember driving in such horrendous conditions, and in the video you will see cars struggling to climb the small incline outside my house ... Enjoy !!

just noticed my spelling of " HEAVY " LoL !!! :unknw:

Edited by Polarlow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

bitterly cold here, but no trace of any snow at all... only snow we have is up in the mountains unfortunately... really need something to push down the west coast!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Morning all. whether or not this verifies (and the UKMO is a fairly reliable model up to +120), You've got to love this chart if you live in the central belt:

Rukm1201.gif

Also interesting from an IMBY perspective is the fax chart at 84 hours, which brings in a pretty favourable flow for eastern Scotland, particularly East Lothian.

PPVL89.png

Posted

had a few snow/ soft hail showers yesterday evening which gave a covering and its still on the ground this morning im pleased as usually its thawed cold night last night down to -4C

Posted

Morning all. whether or not this verifies (and the UKMO is a fairly reliable model up to +120), You've got to love this chart if you live in the central belt:

Rukm1201.gif

Also interesting from an IMBY perspective is the fax chart at 84 hours, which brings in a pretty favourable flow for eastern Scotland, particularly East Lothian.

PPVL89.png

Really hope UKMO comes off as GSF has pressurebuilt fairly high by the end of the week, which will be dry and v-cold , while the UKMO one will be cold and snowy in the east/central (hopefully).

Posted

Tomorrow (Monday) afternoon and overnight is the first main action - a cold front over the country moving south.

Posted

Funny, if you go and have a look through all the charts, http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/nogapse_cartes.php beyond a few days out, they are all going for completely differant outcomes, but all agree it would be cold!!

Posted

Or if you don't read French and prefer the same charts, plus many more with much greater detail for the UK and in English - you can find them on the right hand side here:

http://www.netweathe...type=home;sess=

:help:

Posted

Aye, later-on tomorrow looks likely to be when the major action starts to get itself together...Generally, I prefer the Fax charts to the model runs - they have human imput! :drinks:

Posted

Or if you don't read French and prefer the same charts, plus many more with much greater detail for the UK and in English - you can find them on the right hand side here:

http://www.netweathe...type=home;sess=

biggrin.gif

Yeh I need to stop looking at charts, they are making my head sore. crazy.gif

I think that the FAX charts from the MO are usually the best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yeh I need to stop looking at charts, they are making my head sore. crazy.gif

I think that the FAX charts from the MO are usually the best.

You're just saying that because it shows an ENEsterlyblum.giflaugh.gif

Having said that, Tuesday morning looks interesting!

PPVJ89.png

A nice little trough passing over from the northeast, which coincides perfectly with the beginning of the school day

prectypeuktopo.png

drinks.gif

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Funny how when the snow transfers to the south aswell, it suddenly becomes disruptive. But bless the MO, I like the outlook anyway plus the charts for this week!!

UK Outlook for Friday 8 Jan 2010 to Sunday 17 Jan 2010:

The end of the week and next weekend is expected to continue very cold with widespread frost, severe in places, and perhaps extreme in some rural spots. Patchy freezing fog is also likely to form, mainly in the north, and which could linger all day in some inland valleys. Western parts of the U.K. will be mainly dry with sunny spells, although occasional sleet or snow showers are possible here from time to time. More frequent and heavier snow showers are expected in the east and southeast, and perhaps some longer periods of snow here, with associated disruptive conditions. The rest of the period is also likely to remain cold. However, it may not be quite as cold as the previous week and probably drier, with less widespread snowfall.

Updated: 1210 on Sun 3 Jan 2010

You're just saying that because it shows an ENEsterlyblum.giflaugh.gif

Correct, you and I both rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Just took the 8yr old up the road for some sledging on Calton hill. Beautiful beautiful beautiful day out there ... clear views all around to to the Ochils, Fife, the Forth, the Lammermuirs, the Pentlands ... -5c, powder snow, blue skies, no wind .... this is what its all about. 8)

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Rukm1201.gif

PPVL89.png

Thats a fax chart and a half for here - i'm off out for some supplies, i think we should be prepared here for lots more snow, we've reckoned approx 6" in last nights snow on top of what we already had!! if we keep adding and adding we're not going anywhere next week!

Just took the 8yr old up the road for some sledging on Calton hill. Beautiful beautiful beautiful day out there ... clear views all around to to the Ochils, Fife, the Forth, the Lammermuirs, the Pentlands ... -5c, powder snow, blue skies, no wind .... this is what its all about. :drunk:

We've just been out sledging with our two kids, they are now exhausted - one is now asleep!! Great fun had by all.

Off out to finish shifting snow off my path.

Posted

What I like about this, is the clear blocking pushing an Atlantic low westwards! 9 out of 10 times an Atlantic low swings by from west to east giving the wind and rain we're all used to..this low is being forced backwards due to the block - brilliant :unsure: