Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 13

Posted

Looking at the met office 5day forecast for Edinburgh the winds are from N/NNW i dont see where people are getting the north easterly,Apart from troughs i can see most of the snow showers missing the central belt.

Any views?

Posted

So, if I've got this right, the next few days has a cold front crossing the country from the north tomorrow night bringing heavy snow to some. After that low pressure forms in the southern North Sea and sits there for a few days. This pulls in a freezing cold easterly or north-easterly with snow showers. The 850 temperatures are close to -10 much of the time.

Yep - great eh?!

Hi fellow Scots!

My name is Robert, 21 from Barrhead, Glasgow.

I just noticed someone has the name as me, they are cookie and I am c00kie, I hope your ok with that, hehe (just call me Rob or Rab) :cold:

I have been reading this forum for a while now and have decided to join in the fun. I really love the weather, it really fascinates me. I really love cold weather, snow, thunderstorms and tornadoes. I plan to go storm chasing sometime in the next few years, I loved reading the forum from the storm chase team, it makes me jealous and wish I was there :cold:!!!

I am enjoying this cold spell we are having just now, loving the snow and sledging. I have lots of pics of the recent snow that I will upload for others to see soon.

I am still a novice when it comes to reading weather charts, models etc, but I know there is lots of info and help on this forum and I will learn with time.

Cheers, Rob

Welcome to netweather Robert - you've joined in the posting at an exciting time! :good:

Looking at the met office 5day forecast for Edinburgh the winds are from N/NNW i dont see where people are getting the north easterly,Apart from troughs i can see most of the snow showers missing the central belt.

Any views?

My advice us to completely disregard everything the BBC 5 day forecasts say :)

Posted

That's a pretty good succinct summary :clap:

So, in that case, although from the Countryfile forecast you would have got the idea that it was going to stay cold, wasn't Mr Corbett possibly underplaying it a tad? What about night-time temperatures for example? All he said was it wouldn't get much above freezing by day.

Well, that increasingly loud sound of things thumping on the ground is the reaction to the 18z and the toys coming out of the prams again. "all downhill" to part-quote one....

I'm off to watch TV and enjoy the last night of the Xmas lights on the tree as it coming down tomorrow.

And welcome to our two new members. Barrhead's not too far from here Rob, but you'll already know that :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Embra airport reporting -8c and with crystal clear skys and only a 5-6 mph breeze, its hard to see why it won't post -10c in the coming hours - maybe even match the -12c of 10 days ago.

Few observations from being about town today. Was up at the in-laws at Liberton again (that part of the town is 400 ft ASL) where the level depth (measured on grass admittedly so I could be a little bit out) was 18 cms. There was obviously a serious amount of extra snow in southern and western Embra last night and it was all the "premium grade" easterly stuff. dry and pristine. I haven't seen as much of it piled about on the south side of Embra since the 1980s...And something else I hadn't since the cold winters of the 80's ... which is where the roads have been gritted, then rather than going to slush and melt, the end result on many roads has just been the creation of industrial quantities of that kind of demarera sugar composite of snow/grit. Pavements=whiite, roads=demarera sugar. No surface melt at all really, the surfaces are approaching the permafrost stage :clap:

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Who is this 'mate' people keep referring to? :clap:

You know exactly what it is after you said last night, stop spamming. :clap:

Who is this 'mate' people keep referring to? :clap:

It's pretty simple, Scotland's a small country and we all know each other mate...

No seriously, you can't type M 8 with the letters together as it shows up as mate, mate.

So we are just talking about the Edinburgh - Bishopton motorway.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Who is this 'mate' people keep referring to? unknw.gif

Hi RRR,

Embra to Glasgow Motorway (mate) whistling.gif

Big Innes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I come bearing Fax charts hot off the press:

PPVM89.png

A nice example of how troughs are likely to enhance precipitation during the coming days.

The 120 chart is good also, bringing in an fairly weak easterly flow for most, though perhaps still strong enough to bring snow showers a few miles inland.

PPVO89.png

I think the important think with this chart is that the high isn't sliding southeast, and the lows to the south are quite a bit stronger than those to the north, which means that the most likely outcome for the weekend onwards (from this chart) is the high moving back northwest or staying where it is, which would mean the continuation of the cold. Of course by the weekend, many of us will have become sick and tired of the snow!

The only thing that would make the outlook look better is for the precipitation tomorrow to be moved 15 miles further north between 10 and midnight on the 18Z NMMpardon.gif

LS

Posted

And something else I hadn't since the cold winters of the 80's ... which is where the roads have been gritted, then rather than going to slush and melt, the end result on many roads has just been the creation of industrial quantities of that kind of demarera sugar composite of snow/grit. Pavements=whiite, roads=demarera sugar. No surface melt at all really, the surfaces are approaching the permafrost stage :air_kiss:

In noticed that today too - and no sound of water dripping or running into drains. Nice ...

Posted

Cheers for the welcome guys :air_kiss:

Very exiting week or two ahead, I am in the central belt but I have had my fair share of snow over the last couple of weeks and there is no sign of it melting away anytime soon and with the possibility of more snow tomorrow night, this is the best ever winter I can remember:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

is it my imagination or does the big lump of cloud with our name on it to our north appear to be growing a bit as it passes over the faroes?

sat24

Posted

yes you are right, it does appear to be growing

Is that not just tomorrow's front forming? Although it must be ahead of schedule if it is...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Honest answer PB ... too early to say I think. Best thing to do is keep your eyes peeled on here and on the radar returns nearer the time. Yup, good old nowcasting !

Edit: the success rate on this thread has been much higher throughout the cold spell than the metoffice...

How much snow are we looking at through the central belt tue/wed?

Edited by by-tor

Posted

I come bearing Fax charts hot off the press:

A nice example of how troughs are likely to enhance precipitation during the coming days.

The 120 chart is good also, bringing in an fairly weak easterly flow for most, though perhaps still strong enough to bring snow showers a few miles inland.

I think the important think with this chart is that the high isn't sliding southeast, and the lows to the south are quite a bit stronger than those to the north, which means that the most likely outcome for the weekend onwards (from this chart) is the high moving back northwest or staying where it is, which would mean the continuation of the cold. Of course by the weekend, many of us will have become sick and tired of the snow!

The only thing that would make the outlook look better is for the precipitation tomorrow to be moved 15 miles further north between 10 and midnight on the 18Z NMM

LS

Good grief! The 528 dam line's almost in North Africa!

Also, what other signs do you think we should start looking for if we want to work out (guess?) what's to happen after the weekend? Last time I looked at the models, there was definitely some erosion of the cold going on. (Still a long way out of course.)

Posted

I have relatives that live in the Faroe Islands, and was doing thr weekly phone call a short time ago. I was talking to them about the cold weather - maybe because they are all coastal there - but they have not had the snowfall that we have had. It's been cold, but not as cold as here.

I was asking them about current conditions, (as what we are expecting tomorrow is heading over them just now) and basically they never got much out of it, and what they did get was sleet, although it turned more to snow up the mountains. They also think that the temperatures rose slightly when the band hit.

So hopefully it does intensify between there and here or it could be a disappointment.

Posted

I have relatives that live in the Faroe Islands, and was doing thr weekly phone call a short time ago. I was talking to them about the cold weather - maybe because they are all coastal there - but they have not had the snowfall that we have had. It's been cold, but not as cold as here.

I was asking them about current conditions, (as what we are expecting tomorrow is heading over them just now) and basically they never got much out of it, and what they did get was sleet, although it turned more to snow up the mountains. They also think that the temperatures rose slightly when the band hit.

So hopefully it does intensify between there and here or it could be a disappointment.

Hmmmm, that doesn't sound to promising.